• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

When I read 'farm eggs', it's like the writer implies that some eggs don't come from a farm (yes, I know some are foraged)...

it's a marketing term to differentiate eggs from chickens raised in a factory-farm vs. eggs from chickens raised at a small family farm (the kind of vendors you see at farmers' markets in many cities in the U.S.)

that's all. it's something you will see me use all the time, but unless you have that background knowledge, I agree it can be confusing.

• Like 1

In Sweden  the tiny cages are gone, they have bit bigger space  but MOST people prefer free range eggs, indoor or outdoor and that came about when people bojcot the   factory eggs.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

liuzhou

Happy [belated] Bloomsday!

Edited by tug (log)

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

It's shorthard for free-range eggs.

Most commercial eggs do not really come from farms, they come from battery-cage hens.  Eh, I buy supermarket eggs too, but for the most part I make a distinction between what I usually get "during season" from the folks at farmers' markets and when I cannot.  FWIW those eggs I referred to above (and most of my eggs during spring-summer-fall) come from Schacht Farms, on occasion from other free-range breeders.  During mid-winter Schacht Farms would not have eggs available because it is too cold for their hens to lay eggs.  I get my eggs from other places where their hens are kept in heated barns, or from the supermarket then.

In the UK the term 'battery farmed eggs' is often used for describing the lowest denominator type of eggs... :unsure:

BTW what processor are you using in the above ?

SobaAddict70

it's a combination blender/food processor. brand is Cuisinart.

this is a decidedly non-tech kitchen. I finally broke down after years of resistance and decided I wanted a blender for my birthday last year. so, I will concede that it's useful for some things; it's not something I like to admit. being a luddite is my own issue.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

I was going to do  panfried  chicken with gravy and  potatoes and ended up with a chicken and broccoli stew .....

Oh well it was yummy and the kid got her peas, potatoes , remoulade sauce and  haddock patty, it is fish day and normally we would have had salmon but they where out of it.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

This is Pork and Bean Soup

The Broth is a combination of Pozole Broth and cooked Bean Broth

Pork Tongue and the New RanchoGordo Corona Beans) they are awesome creamy--The lovage Leaf is a real nice addition

IMG_7408.JPG

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

image.jpg

I am heading north for 5 weeks very soon so am trying not to buy more groceries and to use up any perishables. But I also had orzo on my mind. So orzo with spinach, chicken and peppers from my freezer and a good grating of parmesan.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14458432445_223eabda32_z.jpg

14271990467_2dfaf98acd_z.jpg

Spicy carrot salad (page 65, from the "Jerusalem" cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi).

Also had leftover roast chicken but I'll spare you a pic of that.

Tonight's menu is still in the planning stages, but there will be fried tomatoes with garlic (page 50) to start.

• Like 3

Welcome Riki.

My son has been home this week and I've been cooking some of his favourite meals.

Steak%20Fajitas%20June%2018th%2C%202014%

Tex Mex Fajitas last night. 

Steak%20Fajitas%20June%2018th%2C%202014%

With Grilled New York Strips, grilled peppers and onions, homemade salsa, guacamole  and corn tortillas.

Tuesday night's dinner.

Chicken%20Souvlaki%20June%2017th%2C%2020

Chicken Souvlaki.

• Like 7

Back to work tomorrow and the heat and humidity have broken here so some cooking to fill the fridge for Johnnybird to graze on:

shrimp to sauté and add to the leftover jasmine rice and sweet and sour vegetables

meatloaf made with a mix of ground pork, bison and turkey - sandwiches and to serve with mashed sweet potatoes and fresh peas

Swedish meatballs in a dill caper sauce to serve with dilled egg noodles, sautéed onion and green squash and sage honey carrots

pizza with a smear of marinara, red peppers, black olives and olive oil

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My adult son will join me for dinner this evening. Again I am avoiding any grocery shopping and trying to use up what is in the house. He is very much a meat and potato man but will eat spaghetti. (Like his dad he hates pasta and will not allow that spaghetti is pasta!). So I made a riff on spaghetti Bolognese. I used ground lamb because that is what I had and added some spinach because I could. He loves mushrooms and these were rapidly losing what little life they had so I fried them up. With an ice cold beer and a slice of this semolina sandwich bread he should be good. And there will be left over sauce for him to take home. I will re-heat the sauce and mushrooms and cook the spaghetti when he arrives. I am thinking of mashing together some black garlic and butter for the bread.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, I have leftover sauce too, but I am saving it for pizza rolls,  Great picnic food and great when we spend a day in the park.

14278481199_1321bfa91c_z.jpg

14461763111_582733b47f_z.jpg

Fried heirloom tomatoes with filfel chuma, garlic and parsley; sourdough whole wheat bread

14463769792_f02dd26763_z.jpg

14463769552_8f017b6e9e_z.jpg

Fagiulini spilusieddi ("imaginative green beans", or green beans with slow-cooked onion, wild arugula and mint), cold roast chicken

• Like 4

gfweb & catpoet – I confess to being one of those Southerners who love ambrosia and marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes (which otherwise taste like….sweet potatoes <shiver> :wink: ), but I have NEVER even heard of marshmallows being served on/with an actual bird.  Neither has Google.  Lots of turkey-shaped cookies/chocolates with marshmallow decorations.  I’m wondering if something was lost in the translation :blink: ?

Scuba – I agree – corn and scallops are a classic and wonderful combination.  Nice browning on those scallops!

Shelby – I think that you make the best chef salads I’ve ever seen.  I don’t dare show them to Mr. Kim or he’d not be satisfied with mine!

Mark – incredibly gorgeous BBQ!  We’ve eaten all of ours and your picture makes me wish there was more in the fridge!

David – just found some short ribs at the store on sale yesterday.  I haven’t decided what to do with them yet, but I love how yours look.

Soba – castelvetrano are our very favorite olives and the next time that I make green olive tapenade that is what I’m going to use!

Norm – fantastic Italian feast!

I'm embarrassed to post this meal after all of the lovely things that everyone has posted, but the other night it was Cincinnati chili for dinner.  Spaghetti and beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_82.jpg

Chili on top:

med_gallery_3331_114_139557.jpg

A blanket of cheese and oyster crackers on the side:

med_gallery_3331_114_106926.jpg

Bite:

med_gallery_3331_114_71163.jpg

I can’t take credit for the chili – we are lucky enough to have a Kroger in Richmond and they sell Skyline Chili, so I don’t make it myself very often.  We always forget how good this meal is.

• Like 2