• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

After a long and hot day at work dinner became dessert. Leftover from Mother's day it is black bottom pie from Joy Of Cooking that I've made for about 45 years. It was a real treat as a kid when my mom put it on the table so it has become somewhat of a family tradition. I made the crust with lard that I rendered and it really held up nice. I can't say I've tweaked the recipe at all except to use 2X - 3X more chocolate.

P1020717(1).JPG

• Like 12

After my last really simple dinner I thought it was time for something a little more...

Dinner 2014-0514

Matsutake broth (from dried sliced Matsutake [Earthy Delights]** simmered in water (not stock) w/ Himalayan salt), a little oil & red-bulbed spring onions [bRFM]. Nothing else was added.

Picanha slices (dressed w/ Kosher salt & ground black pepper; pan-seared, finished in the oven).

• Fresh morels sautéed in sautéed in Alziari olive oil.

• Wild rice [Bineshii], simmered in water (pasta-style) w/ some salt; drained, tossed w/ the pan residues from sautéeing the morels.

• Peeled & sliced lettuce stems (celtuce) sautéed w/ corn oil and some salt; then drizzled w/ a bit of 10-year-old Modena balsamic vinegar & a small splash of hon-mirin [Takara].

• Dessert: Sweetheart cake [K.W. Inc, NY, NY]

Matsutake pieces (some purposely broken further in half) soaking in water before simmering.   Morels after rinsing.

DSCN1485a_600.jpg  DSCN1488a_600.jpg

Uncooked wild rice.   Lettuce stems being trimmed & "peeled" (skin sliced off).

DSCN1492a_600.jpg  DSCN1484a_600.jpg

Matsutake & spring onion broth.

DSCN1494a_800.jpg

The other stuff, plated.

DSCN1498a_800.jpg

** Earthy Delights also offer dried porcini from either US, European, or Asian/Chinese sources.  AA and A grades are available.

• Like 5

So I recently put together this dish, inspired by this recipe: pork shoulder with tofu-miso mousse, seaweed/Brussels sprout salad, pork jus, and ajitake tamago.

First I cured some pork shoulder in a 1:1 mixture of sugar and salt for about 6 hours, then rinsed it and cooked sous vide for 12 hours @ 160 F. I drained the bag liquids into a pot, added some soy sauce, mirin, and leftover ramen broth and reduced until it was thick enough to coat a spoon. I followed the recipe for the miso-tofu mousse in the link, which was simply blending some miso, tofu, and soymilk and then loading it into a whipping siphon. It was topped with a Japanese-style marinated egg (ajitake tamago) and salad made with charred Brussels sprouts, Wakame seaweed, sesame seeds, and black rice vinegar. 

Overall it was a pretty great dish, if not a tad bit intense (perhaps my red miso was a bit strong).

tumblr_n5n68fWo2S1rvhqcjo1_r1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 7

14009979040_09323abfbc_z.jpg

Potage St. Germain ("minted pea and lettuce soup")

Recipe: http://www.bojongourmet.com/.../potage-st-germain-minted... (this version uses asparagus stock instead of the pea pod stock in the recipe; has heirloom potatoes and butter lettuce as part of the soup ingredients; and was garnished with 1 teaspoon fromage blanc).

14009980040_d8f03a806f_z.jpg

14216756343_734c04b5f9_z.jpg

Poulet à la moutarde ("chicken with mustard sauce"), spinaci alla Genovese ("spinach in the style of Genova").

Recipe for the spinach: http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/955

• Like 5

Early dinner.

• Lotus root soup.   Short-cut pork spare ribs sautéed with garlic, salt, water, "Yook Chook" (玉竹; Yale: yuk6 juk1; Polygonatum odoratum (Mill.) Druce), "Chan Pei" (陳皮; Yale: chan4 pei4; dried tangerine peel), dried longan flesh, dried Chinese jujubes (two varieties - lam jou plus ones from Shandong), dried cuttlefish (two small + one medium sized ones), sliced lotus root, raw peanuts.

• Garlicky chicken.   Chicken leg quarters, cut up; sautéed w/ two-heads'-worth of garlic cloves (lightly crushed) and halved shallots; w/ corn oil. Water added plus splashes of rice vinegar, hon-mirin + jozo mirin; seasoning adjusted, simmered down. Eaten w/ Fuzhou-type fine wheat noodles (min6 sin3, a.k.a. mee sua; I used this one (Taiwanese brand)).

• Stir-fried large mustard green ("kai choy"; 芥菜).

DSCN1500a_800.jpg

DSCN1503a_800.jpg

DSCN1506a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

I have been running into Lobster Newburg these days.. MM posted his preparation, then I read a story in the newspaper about it, then my parents were discussing it..  So, basically, i had no choice.. 

I had some friends coming over last night and figured it would be a good time to make a surf and turf.  Not to mention, I'm headed out to China for the next 3 weeks.. Better get all the butter and beef I can.  

Went with a very basic version. No making lobster stock or anything..  Added some nutmeg.. It was rather delicious. 

14194506391_fcc2e3e8e9_z.jpg

Steaks on the green egg.. Dry aged, super thick.  

14011166380_30f1807e52_z.jpg

Homemade chocolate chip cookies. 

• Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Thanks for the compliments on my burger and rings.  I just love griddle cooked thin burgers with crusty edges.  And those rings are like magic – so easy and delicious.

Huiray – your tamarind prawns sound so good.  I love the color of the sauce.

btbyrd – shrimp and pistachio pesto is a great combination.  It really looks delicious!

Patrick – those baked beans are incredible looking.  Exactly what baked beans aspire to be!

David – your chicken pie looks and sounds fantastic.  I’ve copied your directions and am going to give it a try.  Too good to resist.

Soba – I don’t have the book, so I just put a hold on it at the library.  Sardine rillettes sound interesting.  Fresh sardines?

Shelby – taco salad.  Mmmmmm.  Now I have a craving.

Ashen – It’s been way too long since my last lamb burger.  So good.

dcarch – thanks!  Actually THESE onion rings ARE easy.  Just slice, salt and sit.  Then when they are ‘watery’ just toss with flour/cornmeal and deep fry.  I love your broccoli stems!  My MIL (the biggest enemy of waste in the south) would love them!

Anna – oddly enough, it has never occurred to me to make a sandwich spread out of canned salmon.  What a great idea!  I’ll be trying that this summer.

Mother’s Day dinner was at our house.  We were joined by Mr. Kim’s mom and his sister and her family.  My mom was sick, unfortunately.  I did pressed sandwiches with tapenade, goat cheese, marinated artichoke hearts, ham, sopressata, arugula and vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_114_163391.jpg

Shrimp salad and croissants:

med_gallery_3331_114_118997.jpg

Tomato/beef consommé (no picture) and green salad w/ mango and a lime vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_114_151593.jpg

Dessert was PB Cookies and AF cake with coconut whipped cream, grapefruit syrup and candied grapefruit:

med_gallery_3331_119_80003.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_137055.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_26002.jpg

Tuesday was salad and spaghetti Bolognese:

med_gallery_3331_114_23343.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_3346.jpg

Day before yesterday, I got some Kahlua pork out of the freezer and did sandwiches, fries, slaw and baked beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_38545.jpg

Last night was breakfast for dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_144097.jpg

Sausage, egg and cheese on a bun, slaw, tomatoes and fried apples.

• Like 6

Hen House Market had ribeyes on sale today but Cassie had the  kitchen tied up with some cookies and cupcakes she was asked to make so I made dinner outside.  Along with the creamed corn, steaks and potatoes we also had sauteed mushrooms, okra chips and some toppings for the potatoes.

DSCN1420_zps6049d271.jpg

• Like 5

image.jpg

Crispy chicken thighs and green beans tossed in a Sichuan-style dressing.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner 2014-0517

• Beef shin, sliced into thick rounds, browned in garlic oil; braised w/ sautéed garlic (1½  heads’ worth; cloves separated, somewhat crushed, de-skinned; sautéed in oil till lightly browned, reserved; shin slices browned in this oil), mutenka shiro miso, aka miso, (reserved garlic cloves added back in), water, bamboo shoots** [1st World brand + Yu Yee brand], generous ryori-shu, hon-mirin. Simmered down, about 2 hrs+ in total.

• Fresh green-leaf lettuce & butter lettuce; blanched in oiled water & dressed w/ oyster sauce [LKK], ground black pepper & deep-fried sliced shallots.

• White rice (Thai Hom Mali).

** Simmered in salted water for about ½ hr, drained, sliced/trimmed, prior to adding into the beef shin mixture, in stages according to thickness/size.

DSCN1508a_800.jpg

DSCN1510a_800.jpg

DSCN1514a_800.jpg

• Like 3