• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lisa Shock

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

On 1/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Do you have a floor or bed?

Yes but I use the floor for walking and the bed for sleeping :)

On 1/29/2018 at 3:21 PM, gibbs said:

I have to disagree with you on the hard to access aspect of the errata as one only has to type "modernist cuisine errata" into google and the top result is there errata page. They also offer a pdf version to allow it to be easily printed.   As for fixing the issue for existing customers, you could look at the fact that they have offered an errata. Others have not, for example, the Alinea cookbook while has admittedly fewer errors as far as I am aware no official errata was released.

I can also comment that they did actually act on the errors found I held off buying my copy for a while so I could save up for it resulting in my copy being one of the sixth printings and going through it tonight with the errata in the first 3 books at the very least the issues they had found had been corrected. This ultimately why I cancelled my preorder for modernist bread as I'm willing to wait for any errors found to be corrected.

There is a reason why it is often said to avoid the first of something.

So every time you read a page in the book you cross reference it to the errata PDF?  Again, you hit the nail on the head - at least the original Modernist Cuisine had hundreds of material errors.  Alinea did not.

Edited by kirk9000 (log)

On 2/17/2018 at 8:10 PM, kirk9000 said:

So every time you read a page in the book you cross reference it to the errata PDF?  Again, you hit the nail on the head - at least the original Modernist Cuisine had hundreds of material errors.  Alinea did not.

where subsequently corrected in the later ones and while I am sure some have probably been missed I can at least say in my checks the errors contained in the errata for modernist cuisine had been corrected before my copy was printed which print run these corrections where made I couldn't hazard a guess so depending on where and when someone's copy was printed there millage may vary.

As for Alinea I did find an online errata for it which I have printed and slipped in the front of my copy but there are a lot fewer errors is than so referencing it would cause little to no issue

Is anyone aware of an index for Modernist Bread having been released like they did for Modernist Cuisine?

I was searching for something i know i read in it regarding inclusions, but was unable to find it. Why wouldn't you put out an index on a 5 volume set. Asinine.

3 hours ago, jmolinari said:

Is anyone aware of an index for Modernist Bread having been released like they did for Modernist Cuisine?

I was searching for something i know i read in it regarding inclusions, but was unable to find it. Why wouldn't you put out an index on a 5 volume set. Asinine.

The index has forty entries under inclusions.  What was not there that you were looking for?

1 hour ago, jmolinari said:

Sorry, am i missing the index entirely?! Maybe i'm the bozo

Where is the index?

In the back of volume 5.

• Similar Content

• By MSRadell
      GE is entering the SV field in an innovative way. They are doing a crowdfunding approach through one of their Innovation technology centers. The device itself is also innovative in that it uses a Inductive cooktop for the heating element with a wireless temperature sensor. It's also unique in that it does not include any type of water circulation.

Here's a link to the crowdfunding site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop/

What does everybody think about this entry into the field? If nothing else it certainly shows that SV has gotten the attention of major appliance makers. A few weeks ago GE also announced that one of their new lines of stoves will have the same type of temperature control as this device uses so you can do SV on your stovetop.

• By Shelby
      Thanks to @blue_dolphin, I was forced to buy this cookbook  and it was delivered today.  No matter how hard I try, I just don't super enjoy cookbooks on my Kindle.  Anyway, I'll most likely be alone on this thread due to low okra likability lol, but I'm an only child and I'm used to being alone 😁

First on the list will be the Kimchi Okra from page 100--as suggested by @blue_dolphin.

I'll be back on this thread soon  
    • By Luke
      I made the Creme Anglaise recipe from Myhrvold Modernist Cuisine - it did look curdled and lumpy coming out of the zip lock bag as described in the recipe.

I used my stick blender to smooth it out as instructed, but I think I blended it for too long, and it went from lumpy to smooth to watery. Did I make a fatal mistake of over blending the custard?

The recipe does not say how to blend or when to stop.

Hoping one of the gurus can give me guidance before I try this again.

Many Thanks
      Luke
    • By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?