• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Lisa Shock

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

On 9/28/2016 at 11:03 AM, rotuts said:

its possible

Buy Canadienne  !

or find a Friend N of the Border !

Book Running, the new kind of Drug running???

Good thing I live close to the border, going to have to jump on over and grab my copy there!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. I'm listening to it now.

Just picked up Modernist Cuisine recently (ended up buying Modernist Cuisine at Home first) and am blown away. I'm going to simply have to buy Modernist Bread.

Just a heads up, looks like amazon.de and amazon.co.uk have the book reduced atm to 408.52€ or 425 GBP:

https://www.amazon.de/MODERNIST-BREAD-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058

not sure if that's an temporary thing or a permanent price reduction. This is as far as I see a bit cheaper for the europeans than the canadian amazon offer a few months ago.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, Haldir said:

not sure if that's an temporary thing or a permanent price reduction. This is as far as I see a bit cheaper for the europeans than the canadian amazon offer a few months ago.

after telling myself I definitely wouldn't buy from them again (after the errors in the first MC & the shipping damage when they sent out MC@H naked), I've bought.

There must be crack addicts with more self control than me!

• Like 5

On 2/24/2017 at 4:46 PM, chefmd said:

Update from Modernist Bread blog.  You can see cover photos but publication date was pushed back to fall 2017.

I had missed this update, but honestly I'm glad it was delayed. I anticipate running my oven full tilt after it arrives, and summer is not an ideal time to be doing that in Oklahoma!

• Like 3

a note of sorts :

some time ago :

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

and i just checked this :

https://www.amazon.ca/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494194006&sr=8-1&keywords=modernist+bread

$ 724 CDN

to those of our Friends N of the Border :

are they honoring your lower price ?

Yikes !

I'm not north of the border but almost certainly Jeff is honoring the guarantee.  But the amazon guarantee is if the preorder price goes down you get the lower price.

For those who pre-ordered at CA$532, I think that they are quite safe.

As for the US, the current amazon price is $545.37.  My price is $500.  The release date listed is 10/24/2017.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, rotuts said:

a note of sorts :

some time ago :

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

and i just checked this :

https://www.amazon.ca/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494194006&sr=8-1&keywords=modernist+bread

$ 724 CDN

to those of our Friends N of the Border :

are they honoring your lower price ?

Yikes !

yup - preorder price still reads $532

On 5/7/2017 at 11:34 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The release date listed is 10/24/2017.

The release date has been updated to Nov. 7, 2017 now. At least it will be plenty cool enough by then to run the oven!

• Like 3

• Similar Content

• By boilsover
      Solid intermediate cook, here.  Not especially intimidated by elaborate preps.  But I'm new to SV, and would like a recommendation for a cookbook for guidance and exploration.

I was thinking of Tom Keller's Under Pressure, but I'm wondering if the preps he includes may not be the most generally useful.  What do you all like, and why?

Thanks!
    • By Chris Hennes
      On Nov. 7, 2017, Modernist Bread will finally arrive on my doorstep. Having preordered it literally the first day it was available, to say I'm excited about this book is a bit of an understatement. The team at The Cooking Lab have been gracious enough to give @Dave the Cook and me early electronic access to the book and so I've spent the last week pouring over it. I'm just going to start with a few initial comments here (it's 2600 pages long, so a full review is going to take some time, and require a bunch of baking!). Dave and I would also be happy to answer any questions you've got.

One of the main things I've noticed about this book is a change in tone from the original Modernist Cuisine. It comes across as less "everything you know is wrong" and more "eighty bazillion other bakers have contributed to this knowledge and here's our synthesis of it." I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Myhrvold and company are now the most experienced bread-bakers in the world. Not necessarily in terms of the number of identical loaves they've produced, but in the shear number of different recipes and techniques they've tried and the care with which they've analyzed the results. These volumes are a distillation of 100,000 years of human breadmaking experience, topped off with a dose of the Modernist ethos of taking what we know to the next level.

The recipes include weight, volume, and baker's percentages, and almost all of them can be made by both a home baker and someone baking in a commercial facility. The home baker might need to compromise on shape (e.g. you can't fit a full-length baguette in most home ovens) but the book provides clear instructions for both the amateur and professional. The recipes are almost entirely concentrated in volumes 4 and 5, with very few in the other volumes (in contrast to Modernist Cuisine, where there were many recipes scattered throughout). I can't wait for the physical volumes to arrive so that I can have multiple volumes open at once, the recipes cross-reference techniques taught earlier quite frequently.