• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

11 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

<Sigh> My copy is now scheduled to arrive on Monday the 21st....

I honestly sympathize having received my books very early but it is what it is. Use the time wisely. Do some strength training and eat lots and lots of carrots.   :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have a comment and a suggesting 

for me , the Index to a book is its key.

this is frequently overlooked and many times not much effort is made to generate a good on.

MBr  has a good one , at the end of Vol 5

Id like to suggest that including one in the Kitchen manual would have been a fine idea

as it lighter and much easier to work with.

even better , as some point for those who own MBr 

via their web-site or by any means

a .pdf or e-book of the Index would be very much appreciated.

hopping the Modernist Team takes a peek at this thread from time to time !

an extraordinary collection of books BTW

• Like 1

The only website I could find was the Modernist Cuisine which did allow you to subscribe to obtain updates on Modernist Bread unless of course you’re not American in which case you won’t be able to do it because you don’t have a ZIP Code. And if you borrow somebody else’s ZIP Code you still won’t be able to do it because it won’t accept your Captcha!  GRRRR

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/18/2017 at 5:34 PM, Anna N said:

I am sure I will eventually but I need to get ordinary bread out of my system first.  Some experimental geek will get in there and give it a. go long before that. 

Have 22qt pressure canner, freezer always too full, and love bread.  This I MUST TRY!

The Modernist Bread team has an email address for corrections: corrections@modernistcuisine.com

Note that that is for errata only.

As for suggestions, the best place to raise them is actually here, especially since we absorbed the MC discussion forum back in 2014. Their team is understandably busy with the book launch and its immediate aftermath, but we're hoping they'll be weighing here themselves before long.

• Like 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

45 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

The Modernist Bread team has an email address for corrections: corrections@modernistcuisine.com

Note that that is for errata only.

As for suggestions, the best place to raise them is actually here, especially since we absorbed the MC discussion forum back in 2014. Their team is understandably busy with the book launch and its immediate aftermath, but we're hoping they'll be weighing here themselves before long.

Will be very happy to see the team drop in here from time to time and address some of our questions. Mind you we seem to have a fair bit of expertise already here!:)

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/19/2017 at 10:31 AM, rotuts said:

I have a comment and a suggesting 

for me , the Index to a book is its key.

this is frequently overlooked and many times not much effort is made to generate a good on.

MBr  has a good one , at the end of Vol 5

Id like to suggest that including one in the Kitchen manual would have been a fine idea

as it lighter and much easier to work with.

This - really this - I wanted to find the recipe for English Muffins because I know it's in there - easy to find in Vol 5 but no index in the Kitchen Manual makes me very sad.

• Like 2

Im sure MBr will sort something out eventually 

electronically vis their web site ?

also

the web site seems a bit moribund right not  or its just me

is there a way to register  MBr  

as we did w MC ?

• 1 month later...

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, so I can only buy electronic ones.  And realistically, the size of the physical books makes them rather ill suited to reading or using in any productive way.  I wish that Myrhvold and company would consider releasing an electronic edition, or at least a more manageable physical one.   Note that the problems are compounded by the fact that there are undoubtedly an enormous number of errata in the book (that was my frustration with the original Modernist Cuisine) thus shortly after purchasing one is left with a precise scientific cookbook book which is riddled with corrections that are hard to access.  When I contacted Modernist Cuisine suggesting that they should replace books that contained hundreds of errors (as other publishers have done with problematic books), they basically laughed at me.  My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

Edited by kirk9000 (log)

5 minutes ago, kirk9000 said:

My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

I use mine. 

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, kirk9000 said:

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, so I can only buy electronic ones.  And realistically, the size of the physical books makes them rather ill suited to reading or using in any productive way.  I wish that Myrhvold and company would consider releasing an electronic edition, or at least a more manageable physical one.   Note that the problems are compounded by the fact that there are undoubtedly an enormous number of errata in the book (that was my frustration with the original Modernist Cuisine) thus shortly after purchasing one is left with a precise scientific cookbook book which is riddled with corrections that are hard to access.  When I contacted Modernist Cuisine suggesting that they should replace books that contained hundreds of errors (as other publishers have done with problematic books), they basically laughed at me.  My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

I don't have the luxury of a shelf but one book fits on my dining table at a time.  Volume 3 at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't have the luxury of a shelf but one book fits on my dining table at a time.  Volume 3 at the moment.

Actually, if you add a hardened glass tabletop onto the box, you have a dining table ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 3:42 AM, kirk9000 said:

I have to disagree with you on the hard to access aspect of the errata as one only has to type "modernist cuisine errata" into google and the top result is there errata page. They also offer a pdf version to allow it to be easily printed.   As for fixing the issue for existing customers, you could look at the fact that they have offered an errata. Others have not, for example, the Alinea cookbook while has admittedly fewer errors as far as I am aware no official errata was released.

I can also comment that they did actually act on the errors found I held off buying my copy for a while so I could save up for it resulting in my copy being one of the sixth printings and going through it tonight with the errata in the first 3 books at the very least the issues they had found had been corrected. This ultimately why I cancelled my preorder for modernist bread as I'm willing to wait for any errors found to be corrected.

There is a reason why it is often said to avoid the first of something.

Just now, MikeMac said:

I love the books no problem paying but impossible to use due to the size Gibbs is right on with his suggestions about an electronic version so they are more useful. 

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, (Gibbs)

Mike Macdonald Calgary

30 minutes ago, MikeMac said:

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, (Gibbs)

Do you have a floor or bed?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Im sure they will eventually have an electronic version of MB

they do have a MC@H electronic version but I can't find one for MC

Im guessing some of the issue is its hard to Pirate 50 lbs of books

and very easy once an electronic version starts to float around.

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Im sure they will eventually have an electronic version of MB

they do have a MC@H electronic version but I can't find one for MC

Im guessing some of the issue is its hard to Pirate 50 lbs of books

and very easy once an electronic version starts to float around.

Hard but not impossible it was done with modernist cuisine and at home and with a little bit of google searching the torrents for either are not exactly hard to find 

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

also

somebody or bodies went to the trouble to actually scan MC.

it floats around as a .pdf

That is true they also went to the hassle to get character recognition working so they are searchable.

Well the team is once again alive and well. Shortly after I received my copy of Modernist Bread I tried to inform the team of what I felt was a error in the volume measurement of an ingredient in a recipe.Today I received thanks and an apology for the delayed response. 

So if you are finding errors then it is worthwhile contacting the team and pointing them out. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

Well the team is once again alive and well. Shortly after I received my copy of Modernist Bread I tried to inform the team of what I felt was a error in the volume measurement of an ingredient in a recipe.Today I received thanks and an apology for the delayed response. 

So if you are finding errors then it is worthwhile contacting the team and pointing them out. 

It's nice to know that they are open to people pointing out errors.  As for errors in Modernist bread I cannot comment as I'm still saving up so haven't ordered mine yet. So I'm hoping when I get mine it'll be like modernist bread and the errata will have already been released and subsequent books corrected