• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

It certainly looks an interesting and while I still haven''t got through my copy of modernist cuisine I think I may have to start saving up for this one and atleast that'll give me some time to figure out where I'm going to put it  

2 hours ago, StumptownGeek said:

Price on Amazon (US) has dropped to $415.35

That's because someone at amazon must have seen our Neapolitan pizza discussion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

has anyone had theirs shipped ( USofA ) at a higher price ?

They should get an auto e-mail saying they got a refund (It's happened to me before).  My book hasn't shipped and is expected to ship tomorrow - so I wonder if they are waiting on stock.

The price is back up to $455.71...  But my order seems to have the $415.35 price locked in.

Edited by Raamo (log)

It came.  I asked my colleagues at the library when was the last time they saw a book with a "Team Carry" safety sticker.  One had.  But that doesn't count, he used to work for amazon.

Unboxing11102017.png

Unboxing was al fresco.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

GeeWizz

I was about to call Amazon as my order has not shipped yet 

@  $ 525 +

they have dropped my price to 415 !

money-mouth.gif.fd4832b1d9f0df88912995c63b772656.gif

has anyone had theirs shipped ( USofA ) at a higher price ?

Mine has not shipped. It's 9:53pm AZ time and the website says the book is supposes to ship today. I opted for standard shipping. And, yes, there was a big price drop the other day!

• Like 1

Amazon , unusually , has been fairly good about this refund  

when a lower pice churns up with in a certain time after purchase

a bit surprising these days.

Ive thought about the price decrease

and my fingers are sort of crossed as my ships tomorrow

the Original MC was really revolutionary 

but had broad appeal :   many people cook

and several libraries got the Large Tome.

Im guessing significantly less bake.

maybe demand was low for this reason ?

so price dropped as it should ?

I can't imagine the MC group not coming out w a MB @ hoe though.

Inside MB we find out MC sold 230k copies (in one spot 225k in another, likely earlier number)

That's a crazy amount of money, even if they make only $100 per copy that's 23 million.

No wonder they could afford an electron microscope.

Here is how I found MB on Saturday, Fedex was nice and placed it on this chair.

mb.thumb.jpg.103f2c967862470032987df1a5770ab1.jpg

• Like 2

I have the feeling that much of the book and such might be funded by some on the team

that are very wealthy 

that's a neutral statement

and if so , I congratulate them for their work 

BTW

study chair . no ?

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

study chair . no ?

It's quite - I think we got it at home depot.

My wife is a music teacher - so we got this so parents could sit outside when it's nice out if they so desired.  

1 hour ago, Wholemeal Crank said:

Since my library doesn't yet have a copy, and my local bookstores are unlikely to get it in either.....how much attention does he give to whole grain breads? Is it 95% white flour recipes and 5% whole grain, or 50:50, or....?

It depends on how you measure it, I suppose, but well over 50% of the recipes have some whole grain involved and there are many recipes that have no white wheat flour in them at all. It's pretty comprehensive (obviously, at 2600 pages!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Canned bread

Scroll down to pressure canned brioche. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

25 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

That is freaking amazing.  I wonder if an eGulleter will attempt this?  Maybe someone from the preserving crowd?

I am sure I will eventually but I need to get ordinary bread out of my system first.  Some experimental geek will get in there and give it a. go long before that. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just read this again.  They fail to mention the size of the jar to be used.

That is because it depends. For example for ciabatta they recommend a Ball wide mouth half pint jar for 150 g of dough but each bread basically is listed with its recommended jar size and dough weight. 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Did someone call? :) Obviously these are on my list to try...

Thank you for stepping up to the plate!   I look forward to your experiments.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just read this again.  They fail to mention the size of the jar to be used.

I was positive I had posted an answer to this. The size of the jar depends on the bread. They provide a table of jar sizes/styles and dough weights.  

Edited to add: it’s late!   I have now answered  the question twice.  Perhaps I should go to bed now. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog