• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the update. I'm listening to it now.

Just picked up Modernist Cuisine recently (ended up buying Modernist Cuisine at Home first) and am blown away. I'm going to simply have to buy Modernist Bread.

Just a heads up, looks like amazon.de and amazon.co.uk have the book reduced atm to 408.52€ or 425 GBP:

https://www.amazon.de/MODERNIST-BREAD-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058

not sure if that's an temporary thing or a permanent price reduction. This is as far as I see a bit cheaper for the europeans than the canadian amazon offer a few months ago.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, Haldir said:

not sure if that's an temporary thing or a permanent price reduction. This is as far as I see a bit cheaper for the europeans than the canadian amazon offer a few months ago.

after telling myself I definitely wouldn't buy from them again (after the errors in the first MC & the shipping damage when they sent out MC@H naked), I've bought.

There must be crack addicts with more self control than me!

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2017 at 4:46 PM, chefmd said:

Update from Modernist Bread blog.  You can see cover photos but publication date was pushed back to fall 2017.

I had missed this update, but honestly I'm glad it was delayed. I anticipate running my oven full tilt after it arrives, and summer is not an ideal time to be doing that in Oklahoma!

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 2 weeks later...

a note of sorts :

some time ago :

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

and i just checked this :

https://www.amazon.ca/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494194006&sr=8-1&keywords=modernist+bread

$ 724 CDN

to those of our Friends N of the Border :

are they honoring your lower price ?

Yikes !

I'm not north of the border but almost certainly Jeff is honoring the guarantee.  But the amazon guarantee is if the preorder price goes down you get the lower price.

For those who pre-ordered at CA$532, I think that they are quite safe.

As for the US, the current amazon price is $545.37.  My price is $500.  The release date listed is 10/24/2017.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 5/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, rotuts said:

a note of sorts :

some time ago :

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

and i just checked this :

https://www.amazon.ca/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494194006&sr=8-1&keywords=modernist+bread

$ 724 CDN

to those of our Friends N of the Border :

are they honoring your lower price ?

Yikes !

yup - preorder price still reads $532

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Shipping notice has arrived - Modernist Bread will arrive tomorrow - and the price was about $100 less than I had signed on for!

I protest.  My copy is still showing to be delivered on the 9th.  My price remains US$500.00.

Here's the notice I got this morning - 

Greetings from Amazon.ca.

You saved $95.29 with Amazon.ca's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Modernist Bread: The Art and Science
              Price on order date: $532.47
        Price charged at shipping: $437.18
 Lowest price before release date: $437.18  
                         Quantity: 1
                    Total Savings: $95.29

$95.29 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee. 

Thanks for shopping at Amazon.ca, and we hope to see you again soon.

So I guess at some point the price dropped and we didn't notice it.

And just to really rub it in - this is Canadian dollars! Sorry guys.

It was however - supposed to have shipped on October 24th.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

I brought late :  $ 529 USD

Nov 13 - 17

I don't have Prime.

current price :  $ 562.50    still ' pre-order '

Canadian :  $ 497.68    ' ships Nov 6 th

odd.

wasn't it exceptionally cheap for a while in Canada as the Amazon Bot ' reverserd '  the exchange rate ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I forgot I have a coupon applied!  When I look at the invoice my price is actually US$485.00 -- plus tax, of course.  Shipping date is still the 7th.

We've just announced that the top prize in our "Baking from Modernist bread" contest is a free copy of the book (and an autographed bookplate provided by The Cooking Lab). All you have to do to enter is bake one of the recipes we post and then post a photo and description of your results (good or bad!).

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I ordered MC:Bread on September 27, 2016... Since I don't have any shipment notification yet from Amazon I'm guessing it's not going to be delivered on it's release date here in the USA.  

We have a steam oven - it's also a convection oven - so when I notice they have a section on convection ovens with steam I'm pretty excited.  We use our steam oven almost daily to make bread - awesome bread - but it's 5 mins a day artisan bread - so nothing that exciting.  I suspect that will soon change.

At least we'll see MC Bread in the same year as the calendar which we got last year - and teasing us with pictures.

@Raamo 

what sort of oven do you have ?

if you go to Amazon and log in , look at open orders

you should see your MB order there

mine says release date in USA Nov 7 th

arriving Nov 13 - 17 

I do not have prime.

Our steam oven is a Thermador model linked here.  When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago we found this and I had to convince my wife we should get it - as it's the most expensive appliance in our kitchen.  We use it more often then our big oven...  And it's awesome at boiling a lot of eggs at once.  Also it can reheat leftover dishes such that they don't seem like leftovers, especially with rice.

Here's a shot of our oven stack just after the remodel: 

Notice there is no microwave.

RE: MC: Bread it has updated - expected to ship tomorrow - Arriving Thu, Nov 9  I do have prime. 

Edited by Raamo
words (log)
  • Like 3