• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

wow

600 USD's for 5 vol + for bread.

I am sure that the price will drop to around 400 dollars but it still a lot of dough :D.

I don't need Modernist Bread.  I hardly bake.  I make awesome bread from Ken Forkish book.

I could use Modernist Bread.  May be I can bake more. 

I kinda want Modernist Bread.  What if all my eGullet friends have one and I don't?  What will we have in common?

I want Modernist Bread.  It will look nice next to my (well used) copy of Modernist Cuisine. 

I am dying to buy Modernist Bread.

Damn you eGullet.

• Like 9

rats.    I hope they've figured out how to make crusty sourdough rolls / baguettes in the microwave.

I'd get it just for that Rx

or better yet : you could PM me the Rx when you get your Tomes.

bet they use a Combi-Oven

just saying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is very tempting, even if I already have two or three dozen books specifically on bread.  However, I plan to sit it out and wait to see what the verdict is when it comes out.  Being a traditionalist, I'm always a bit suspicious about anything modernist.  :D

• Like 1

I noticed this today in the Wall Street Journal:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-2-000-plus-page-cookbook-is-upending-the-science-of-bread-making-1474986727

Was particularly taken by the purported novel method of fixing over-proofed bread dough.  My nemesis.  Only a few months to find out and worth the admission price.

Hope it involves a rotor stator homogenizer.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Ill look for this.   nice to see they are still cutting things in half.

date of article was Sept 27

did you get a hard copy ?

maybe it will be in the weekend magazine.

guess I better start saving now  even though im not much of a baker.

Just to Review :

in Canada  , you can get MC Bread for  532 Loonies

Tx to USD  :  $ 402.93

suprise.gif

In the Past , Vast fortunes were made transporting stuff from Canada to the USA  

think  Boardwalk Empire  , and Joe Kennedy

I can see a niche here , a small one  , lets way around Buffalo NY ?

one would need a nondescript Van  with very good shocks :

""  What's  in the Van ?  ""  USA customs asks  

" Paper Products  "

That's a strange anomaly...it's almost as if they calculated the exchange rate backwards on the Canadian price, and marked it down instead of up. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 month later...

My 2017 Modernist Bread calendar has come.  It is packed with factoids and useful tips:

Most of the air in a loaf of bread is trapped in one large meandering pore.  Do not apply charcoal powder close to an overhead air conditioning duct.

Can't wait for the book.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Rats.   Im trying very hard to resist.  

Im helped by the fact that  Our Friends  N. of the Boarder can get the book for  ~ 400 USD  and Us  S. of the Border are required to pay 593 USD.

which causes ' Heart Burn " etc.

That's a definite anomaly. Typically Canadian book prices are about 30% higher than US prices. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

could be a small , but nice smuggling opportunity  

not quite so good as Canadian Club during prohibition  ....

but then you would not have to deal with Joe Kennedy.

just saying

We are grateful for small mercies.

• Like 1

International price differences for books can be tremendous, especially for used books. I have no idea why it happens, but when it does, I'm flabbergasted. I'd been looking for an out of print academic book (non-cooking) for several months, but all the used copies available on US Amazon / Abebooks / eBay were $500+. The other day I decided to check Canadian Amazon and, lo and behold, there was a copy available for $15. The staggering thing was that the exact same copy of the exact same book from the exact same seller was $505 on US Amazon and eBay! I bought it without hesitation, using Canadian Amazon to buy from the US seller. Pricing algorithms run amok? 

• Like 2