• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kirk9000

kirk9000

With all due respect to Nathan Myrhvold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, so I can only buy electronic ones.  And realistically, the size of the physical books makes them rather ill suited to reading or using in any productive way.  I wish that Myrhvold and company would consider releasing an electronic edition, or at least a more manageable physical one.   Note that the problems are compounded by the fact that there are undoubtedly an enormous number of errata in the book (that was my frustration with the original Modernist Cuisine) thus shortly after purchasing one is left with a precise scientific cookbook book which is riddled with corrections that are hard to access.  When I contacted Modernist Cuisine suggesting that they should replace books that contained hundreds of errors (as other publishers have done with problematic books), they basically laughed at me.  My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.

kirk9000

kirk9000

With all due respect to Nathan Myrvhold and the Modernist Cuisine team, I do find it ironic that a "Modernist" book is only available in a 50+ pound giant hardbound edition.  I am in the sad position of having no more space for physical cookbooks, so I can only buy electronic ones.  And realistically, the size of the physical books makes them rather ill suited to reading or using in any productive way.  I wish that Myrvhold and company would consider releasing an electronic edition, or at least a more manageable physical one.   Note that the problems are compounded by the fact that there are undoubtedly an enormous number of errata in the book (that was my frustration with the original Modernist Cuisine) thus shortly after purchasing one is left with a precise scientific cookbook book which is riddled with corrections that are hard to access.  When I contacted Modernist Cuisine suggesting that they should replace books that contained hundreds of errors (as other publishers have done with problematic books), they basically laughed at me.  My only conclusion from all of this is that these are books which are designed to sit on a shelf, not to be used.