• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2014

Kerry Beal

Melissa kindly sent me the recipe for Gianduja Delice. 

It is in French so I'll translate what I can.

Processus                    (g)                     Ingredients               %

Caramel 170                390                    sucrose                   19,69

100                     sorbitol powder        5,05

70                      glucose atomise      3,53

130                    water                        5,56

395                    noisette                    19,94

345                    pate de noisette        17,42

500                    milk choc couverture  25,25

50                       cocoa butter             2,52

produces: 1980 g               sugar: 39,38 %      Between 40 &50%

sweetening index: 0,34%   cocoa butter: 41,04 minimum 32%

AW: 0,6152                        fat matter: 24,11     minimum  20%

EST: 92,53     between 95 & 100%

Est translates as "is", so not really sure what it means.

This is how it was sent to me so good luck. 

• Like 1

David Smith

Melissa kindly sent me the recipe for Gianduja Delice. 

It is in French so I'll translate what I can.

Processus                    (g)                     Ingredients               %

Caramel 170                390                    sucrose                   19,69

100                     sorbitol powder        5,05

70                      glucose atomise      3,53

130                    water                        5,56

395                    noisette                    19,94

345                    pate de noisette        17,42

500                    milk choc couverture  25,25

50                       cocoa butter             2,52

produces: 1980 g               sugar: 39,38 %      Between 40 &50%

sweetening index: 0,34%   cocoa butter: 41,04 minimum 32%

AW: 0,6152                        fat matter: 24,11     minimum  20%

EST: 92,53     between 95 & 100%

Est translates as "is", so not really sure what it means.

This is how it was sent to me so good luck. 

What are "noisette" and "pate de noisette"?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

And pate de noisette is Hazelnut Paste.

That was my suspicion, but wanted to be sure.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

pano.jpg

A few more photos from the workshop. A pano of the group.

at door.jpg

David S. Bob, Lionel, Sarah, Donna. Arriving for first day.

jmahd.jpg

Jean Marie stopped by on Sunday in his Harley outfit.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I don't know if you people know this, but I found it while researching (www.novosina.ch):

Typical Chocolate Values 

Raw Materials and semi-products: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Cream 0.99-1.00 aw 
Butter 0.95-0.98 aw 
Glucose 0.70-0.72 aw 
Sorbitol Powder approx. 0.30 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 
Milk Powder 0.20-0.25 aw 
Fruits, nuts and other fillings typically have an aw-value of 0.40-0.90aw 

Fillings: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Fat-based fillings as Gianduja 
or chocolate truffle fillings 0.20-0.35 aw 
Caramel 0.65-0.70 aw 
Almond paste (marzipan) 0.73-0.80 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 

Chocolate without filling: 0.4-0.5 aw
  • Like 2

I don't know if you people know this, but I found it while researching (www.novosina.ch):

Typical Chocolate Values 

Raw Materials and semi-products: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Cream 0.99-1.00 aw 
Butter 0.95-0.98 aw 
Glucose 0.70-0.72 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 
Milk Powder 0.20-0.25 aw 
Fruits, nuts and other fillings typically have an aw-value of 0.40-0.90aw 

Fillings: 

Type Typical aw-values 
Fat-based fillings as Gianduja 
or chocolate truffle fillings 0.20-0.35 aw 
Caramel 0.65-0.70 aw 
Almond paste (marzipan) 0.73-0.80 aw 
Couverture 0.30 aw 

Chocolate without filling: 0.4-0.5 aw

Ilana, this is awesome!  Thank you so much for posting it.  

It seems like such a long time since we've connected.  I hope you are well and still loving making chocolates :)

• Like 1

Host's note: a series of discussions about how to get molds for chocolate clean that began here has been moved to Lior's new topic, "Cleaning Molds for Chocolate", which can be found here: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148665-cleaning-molds-for-chocolate/. This was done to allow the problem and solution to be discussed in one location after this excellent report has faded into the background.
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown