• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Roulette: Who wants to play?

Smithy

• 5 years later...

well

this thread is new to me

" he has been known to Pull a Cork "

True Girt  , the movie and the much better book 

Sheriff  to Mattie , re Marshal Reuben J. Cogburn

sometimes known as Jeff Bridges

well that's what  i have for now

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, JessicaDowd said:

I can play it, but the main question is "WHERE?"?

Thanks for reviving this topic, @JessicaDowd. If you go back to the first page, you'll see that it's supposed to be your own local wine shop, wherever that is. Pick a bottle at random, blindly if you can so safely. Show us what it is, and those who want to participate will get the same wine. Compare notes. We didn't really have much luck with the game because of uneven availability of the same wine.

The current pandemic adds another complication: I think the whole "get someone to spin you around in the store" idea is untenable while maintaining social distancing. Maye there's a virtual way to do a random choice. Anyone?

I had forgotten that this was how I discovered inexpensive but good Malbecs. :) 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Aha! Thanks for reviving this thread, Jessica and Nancy.

Wine tasting is, and should be, a very social endeavor. (Pandemics suck.) And yet, eGullet is the perfect solution to a sucky problem!

You've just given me an idea! I think we should have bi-weekly varietal tastings. New thread to come ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook