• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tasting chocolate with wine

mrk

I wondering when tasting what kind of chocolate with what kind of wine, this base on what rule? for instance : a curry infuse of dark chocolate or strawberry of chocolate with what kind of wine will match? Thank

Chocolate itself has hundreds of flavor components, so adding curry to it is muddying the waters a great deal. I am not really familiar with curry chocolates, so I must recuse myself from this part of  the conversation.

One quick taste I give to newbies is have them taste a bittersweet chocolate, a really dark one. Most tasters will say that it's really bitter and not really sweet at all. Then, I have them taste a really tannic red, like a Sangiovese, and then the chocolate again. The chocolate will seem very sweet after the very tannic/big Sangiovese.

You have to just taste various wines to see what matches with it. Often the matches are very random. I used to work at a wine bar and we discovered that one of our very dry rosè lambruscos matched really well with a raspberry filled chocolate candy. We just randomly discovered this, having the candy at hand and several hundred wines to taste with it.

Do you know a sommelier or wine vendor whose opinion you trust? You could ask him/her for a recommendation. Or just go into a good wine shop, and ask the staff to match a wine to your specifications. That's what I would do. good luck!

Chocolate is traditionally quoted as being one of the hardest things to match a wine to.  Best bet is generally to enjoy them separately!

But you might try a PX sherry and see how that goes.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

It is so hard, at first you have knowledge of wine and several hundred wines to random with it, is there base rule for tasting?

I'm reading a book, What To Drink With What You Eat, by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. It came out in 2006. Perhaps you can find it at your public library.

On Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Drink-You-Eat-Definitive/dp/0821257188/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400043039&sr=1-1&keywords=andrew+dornenburg

This book won't give you a definitive answer (I don't think there is one) but it does narrow the universe of possibilities. The authors interviewed many prominent sommeliers, then compiled two lists of recommendations, a list of what to drink with certain foods, and a list of what to eat with certain drinks. Beers are included.

Take this book with the proverbial grain of salt, but I do like what they have to say in general. I think most of the recommendations are good. I do scratch my head over their consistent pairing of red wines with blue cheeses, which I was told is a no-no. Yet recently I spoke with a cheesemonger who has been trying red wines with blue cheeses, and she said she's been pleasantly surprised. So there you go, there are no rules, only guidelines.

Like Lisa said above, a big tannic red really brings out the sweetness of a dark, bitter chocolate.  It's a pairing I've enjoyed.

When visiting Theo Chocolates in Seattle, I picked up a few of these wine and chocolate pairing kits

The kit includes 4 dark chocolate bars (Classic 85% Dark Chocolate, Cherry & Almond, Bread & Chocolate and Fig, Fennel & Almond) and mentions Merlot, Syrah, Tempranillo, Cab Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon as varietals to try. 

I gave the kits as gifts so I can't say how it worked out but I've tried their chocolates and enjoyed them all.