• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carl's Jr. aka Hardee's 2014

Toliver

Their recent advertising has been to tout their fresh-baked buns. I thought the buns were solely for their premium line of burgers ("$6 dollar burgers") but on a recent visit I was asked if I wanted a fresh bun with my Western Bacon single. They charged a little extra for swapping the regular buns for the new fresh-baked buns. 

To my surprise, the fresh-baked buns do taste better than their regular buns, IMHO. The dough is a little on the sweet side...not quite King's Hawaiian bread sweet but sweet enough that I noticed it. It did make for a better burger experience, if you will.

Has anyone else tried their new line of fresh-baked buns?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

Carl's/Hardee's has a new promotion burger out...The Texas BBQ Burger. It's a bottom layer of smoked beef brisket, then a thick-burger patty, with jalapeño straws all on their fresh-baked buns. It's one of their more expensive burgers. You can print out a nice coupon from their web site: Carl's Jr

I was surprised to find that I liked it. Upon first bite, it had a nice charbroiled flavor. The brisket had a nice smokiness to it (which the cynic in me thinks was due to liquid smoke). The jalapeño straws made a negligible contribution to the burger.  I detected no spicy heat from them at all and so I figured they were there for the crunchy texture. The bbq sauce they used wasn't overly sweet and there wasn't a lot of it so it wasn't dripping or messy. 

Overall, a pretty good burger that I would order again.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

• 11 months later...

There's a new breakfast sandwich at Carl's Jr: Grilled Pork Chop Biscuit

It comes with egg and cheese, of course.

It's surprisingly good. The "pork chop" is more like a slice of pork tenderloin. The slice I had was thicker than the usual slice of Canadian bacon (ham) that you find in a general Fast Food morning biscuit/sandwich.

The exterior of the pork is heavily seasoned with black pepper (which is not spicy hot) which adds to the overall flavor of the sandwich. 

I recommend this new sandwich.

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Something new at Carl's/Hardee's:

THE BABY BACK RIB THICKBURGER 
The Baby Back Rib Burger features a charbroiled beef patty, boneless baby back ribs, Mississippi honey BBQ sauce, crispy fried onions, and pickles on a Premium Bun.

Has anyone tried it yet? The photos of the burger make it look quite tempting. 

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2017 at 11:39 AM, Toliver said:

Something new at Carl's/Hardee's:

THE BABY BACK RIB THICKBURGER 

I've tried it. Meh.

I believe in this case the problem is that the ingredients sound great but when put altogether, not so much...

It's a case of the parts being greater than the sum.

If I ordered it again, I would remove the pork "ribs" (store it in the 'fridge to make a sandwich for another day) and eat the burger as a souped-up version of their Western Bacon Cheeseburger.

When I tried it, I had their $6 dollar hamburger patty in it which was odd. I found the patty to be unexpectedly crumbly as I ate the burger. Perhaps the patty had been frozen too long (do they freeze their patties or are they a "fresh burger" joint like Wendy's?) and lost moisture. Or perhaps they didn't add enough binder/fat when making the patty.

I can't recommend this burger.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver