• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2002 - 2006

mamster

^Have you been to "The Rainbow" in the little complex across from Richmond Center? It's almost directly across the street from "Bao Guo Bu Yi". The Rainbow is also a vegetarian restaurant. I haven't been there in at least a year, but I've always enjoyed my lunches there. :smile:

^Have you been to "The Rainbow" in the little complex across from Richmond Center? It's almost directly across the street from "Bao Guo Bu Yi". The Rainbow is also a vegetarian restaurant. I haven't been there in at least a year, but I've always enjoyed my lunches there.  :smile:

No Ling, I haven't been there. What do you usually order? Next time you have your vegetarian lunch, please give us a report.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Okay I need some help... I'm a Calgarian transplant into Vancouver (8 years ago however) and unfortunately I've been really, no I mean really, struggling with the adjustment to the Asian food available in Vancouver. Many-a-comedian have entertained thousands with the joke that Asians in Vancouver just don't know how to cook.

Now after making a number of readers upset and itching to type something in reply, throw all of that aside :biggrin: , add in a tablespoon or two of MSG :unsure: and take the comments as red-neckish, don't-know-nothing-from-Alberta-farm-boy mentality and help me... :wacko:

I'm looking for a Chinese restaurant that serves Ginger Beef BUT FIRST let me describe what it is so I don't get many-a-reply that emphsizes the comments above.

Strips of beef (Alberta preferred) deep fried in a batter (crispy outside, tender beef inside) with NO sauce - maybe a light glaze but not a dripping, oozing goo that no one usually can luster. The focus is the crispy-tender beef. The batter holds the flavor of the spices and seasonings - ginger and salt mainly.

I've had a few variations in Vancouver but definately don't get what I'm looking for... Any Calgarians help me with a description? (i.e., Ho Wan, Home Food Inn or Golden Dragon)

Thanks eh? Now where's my toothpick- I got something stuck in my teeth

Brian

www.houseofq.com

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Went back to Shanghai River for lunch with mooshmouse today. Lunch is definitely their strong suit - I had dinner their a few weeks ago and the kitchen does not seem to be able to handle dinner dishes as well as the lunch time dim sum items.

gallery_25348_1373_2884.jpggallery_25348_1373_13122.jpg

Pork in Sesame Cake, Tofu Shreds with Celery

gallery_25348_1373_8942.jpggallery_25348_1373_1816.jpg

Shredded Daikon in Puff Pastry, Braised Meatballs (Lion's Head)

gallery_25348_1373_4728.jpg

Red Bean Paste in Beignet ("Fried Dumpling")

Not pictured, Soup Buns and Foie Gras Sticky Rice Sui Mai

The pork was very good - sweet oniony sauce and crispy sesame flat bread. The celery was a refreshing cold dish - dressed lightly in flavourful sesame oil. The shredded daikon could have used more Yunan ham - but it was still very good. The braised meat ball had a small nugget of salted egg yolk in it - adding a constrasting sandy texture to the rich meat ball - pure comfort food.

The beignet was very very light and eggy - I think mostly egg whites. Dusted with pink sugar that seemed to be lightly fruit flavoured.

The soup buns were good - but I like larger more rustic versions. The sui mai was a disaster - with no sharp notes it tasted like overly rich meat smeared on rice. Not good.

I really like the friendly profressional service and nicely appointed room. Good food in comfortable surroundings - a nice lunch all around.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Okay I need some help...  I'm a Calgarian transplant into Vancouver (8 years ago however) and unfortunately I've been really, no I mean really, struggling with the adjustment to the Asian food available in Vancouver.  Many-a-comedian have entertained thousands with the joke that Asians in Vancouver just don't know how to cook. 

Now after making a number of readers upset and itching to type something in reply, throw all of that aside  :biggrin: , add in a tablespoon or two of MSG  :unsure: and take the comments as red-neckish, don't-know-nothing-from-Alberta-farm-boy mentality and help me...  :wacko:

I'm looking for a Chinese restaurant that serves Ginger Beef BUT FIRST let me describe what it is so I don't get many-a-reply that emphsizes the comments above.

Strips of beef (Alberta preferred) deep fried in a batter (crispy outside, tender beef inside) with NO sauce - maybe a light glaze but not a dripping, oozing goo that no one usually can luster.  The focus is the crispy-tender beef.  The batter holds the flavor of the spices and seasonings - ginger and salt mainly.

I've had a few variations in Vancouver but definately don't get what I'm looking for...  Any Calgarians help me with a description? (i.e., Ho Wan, Home Food Inn or Golden Dragon)

Thanks eh?  Now where's my toothpick- I got something stuck in my teeth

Brian

www.houseofq.com

I kind of don't the get joke - is it because there are so many restaurants that Asians don't have to cook?

Anyways - you may want to try Golden Schezwan on Broadway and Burrard for lunch - they have ginger beef - it is glazed but not too much. For about 7 bucks you get an entree with rice and a hot & sour soup. There are large number of choices for you to check out.

I like the version at New Grand View, now located on Fraser up around 28th or something. It does have a moderate glaze, but the crispy-crunchy beef has the best texture of any of I've tried - great batter crust! I have a less-than-appetizing name for that style of beef: "cat poo beef". It looks like little kitten poos - sort of skinny and kinky.

Hands up all those who are going off ginger beef for awhile now that I've said that? :biggrin:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

The beignet was very very light and eggy - I think mostly egg whites.  Dusted with pink sugar that seemed to be lightly fruit flavoured.

Aww...lunch sounds and looks great. I'm sorry I missed out today! :sad:

The beignets are calling out to me. They remind me of one of my favourite things to get at the Chinese bakeries (the really airy, eggy donuts with the big holes in them that are rolled in sugar after frying), only those don't have red bean paste.

The soup buns were good - but I like larger more rustic versions. 

Is this a vote for Shanghai Wind? :smile::wink:

Went back to Shanghai River for lunch with mooshmouse today.  Lunch is definitely their strong suit - I had dinner their a few weeks ago and the kitchen does not seem to be able to handle dinner dishes as well as the lunch time dim sum items.

gallery_25348_1373_13122.jpg

Tofu Shreds with Celery

gallery_25348_1373_1816.jpg

Braised Meatballs (Lion's Head)

gallery_25348_1373_4728.jpg

Red Bean Paste in Beignet ("Fried Dumpling")

The celery was a refreshing cold dish - dressed lightly in flavourful sesame oil... The braised meat ball had a small nugget of salted egg yolk in it - adding a constrasting sandy texture to the rich meat ball - pure comfort food.

The beignet was very very light and eggy - I think mostly egg whites.  Dusted with pink sugar that seemed to be lightly fruit flavoured.

The soup buns were good - but I like larger more rustic versions.  The sui mai was a disaster - with no sharp notes it tasted like overly rich meat smeared on rice.  Not good.

I really like the friendly profressional service and nicely appointed room.  Good food in comfortable surroundings - a nice lunch all around.

This much-anticipated lunch at Shanghai River certainly did not disappoint. A light, well-decorated room. Soaring ceilings with a cool, minimalist Asian-chic vibe... a welcome departure from the often-garish red and gold décor so often found in old-school Chinese restaurants. Friendly, attentive service which is always a bonus during dim sum.

Of the dishes that we ordered, I felt that the three pictured above were the definite standouts. The clean, light flavour of the tofu shreds with celery, carrots and mushrooms was a pleasant surprise, and I could have easily polished off an entire dish of these on my own. As noted by Lee, the meatballs were excellent comfort food; their incredible richness belies the fact that fat is definitely your friend. :wink:

Lorna, you would've loved the red bean beignets. Deep-fried goodness! Very eggy, yet still light. Lee and I puzzled for a number of minutes over whether or not the pink sugar was flavoured. In the end, I thought I detected a faint strawberry taste to it, but we're still not sure.

Lee's comments on both the foie gras sticky rice siu mai and the xiao long bao were bang on the money. In other words, that's a definite vote from us for the soup dumplings at Shanghai Wind.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Lorna, you would've loved the red bean beignets.  Deep-fried goodness!  Very eggy, yet still light.  Lee and I puzzled for a number of minutes over whether or not the pink sugar was flavoured.  In the end, I thought I detected a faint strawberry taste to it, but we're still not sure.

Maybe they use berry sugar? I love seeing Chinese dim sum desserts that are a little different from the baked tapioca, "ma lye go", and mango pudding (although baked tapioca, especially with lotus paste or red bean paste, is pretty high on my list as a favourite dim sum dish!)

That tofu and celery dish...my mom could make you a whole plate. She makes it all the time. :laugh:

Maybe they use berry sugar? I love seeing Chinese dim sum desserts that are a little different from the baked tapioca, "ma lye go", and mango pudding (although baked tapioca, especially with lotus paste or red bean paste, is pretty high on my list as a favourite dim sum dish!)

That tofu and celery dish...my mom could make you a whole plate. She makes it all the time.  :laugh:

It probably was berry sugar since the granulation was much finer than regular white table sugar. But pink?

Awww, what's wrong with those three desserts? Noah can eat his weight in ma lai go... there's two squares of it in my kitchen right now. The mango pudding at Shanghai Chinese Bistro is my favourite; it's especially smooth and creamy, not the horrendous gelatinous kind that seems to be so prevalent, and there's strips of fresh mango in it too rather than just chunks of fruit or nothing at all. However, the grand prize goes to Kirin's baked tapioca with lotus paste. There's absolutely no sharing with that dish!

Oh, by the way, if the tofu and celery dish is is on the menu, what time's dinner at your house tomorrow? :rolleyes::raz:

Edited to add a gratuitous self-invite :wink:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Awww, what's wrong with those three desserts? 

Absolutely nothing! I love them all, but agree with the ubiquitous overly-gelatinized mango pudding at restaurants, so I only have it when someone makes at a potluck. Have not been to Shanghai Chinese Bistro, but that's a good sign if they have real pieces of mango!

However, the grand prize goes to Kirin's baked tapioca with lotus paste.  There's absolutely no sharing with that dish!

Agreed. I love the crusty brown "skin" on top too. :wub: Also love it at Sun Sui Wah.

Oh, by the way, if the tofu and celery dish is is on the menu, what time's dinner at your house tomorrow?  :rolleyes:  :raz:

Dinner at 7pm. Payment: a big smooch on the cheek from Noah. :wink:

You guys lunch like this? I need to book my next red-eye flight to YVR! :biggrin:

Very nice indeed. {{{shaking head}}} There is no Shanghai style restaurant in Sacramento! I really like the Shanghai chow mein and eel (chow seen wu). Absolutely the best! :smile:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Sorry about the time-warp. I did not know about this wonderful thread on Chinese food in the Vancouver forum until recently. Thanks for the invitation Lee. It's very nice to see your reviews, pictures and all the humors in this thread. I am only on page 3 so far. Slow reader.

Rice noodles with Shrimp and BBQ Pork.  You could have two kinds of dim sum on one plate - what a concept! [...]

gallery_25348_1373_4523.jpg

I have been to a dim sum restaurant in Mountainview, CA where they offer a sample lunch plate. Exactly one of each: har gow, siu mai, beef ball, cheung fun, daikon cake, etc.. (about 8 to 9 varieties). That's a concept too! The perfect "Dim Sum for one".

This is always called "fried donut in rice noodle" - its a terrible name.  Really - it is deep fried bread wrapped in a rice noodle.  It was very good and fresh - the fried bread stick was crispy and yeasty and the rice noodle thin and delicate.  You got to dip it in a sauce of hoisin and light peanut butter.  Second favorite.

gallery_25348_1373_11095.jpg

Did they really offer peanut butter as a dip for "zha leung"? First time I have heard of this.

Also at Shanghai Wind, available usually by advance order (a day or so), beggar's chicken.

I had Beggar's Chicken in Hong Kong "House of Beijing" once (Tsim Sha Tsui East). When served, they roll the big blob of clay on a cart up to the guest of honor at the table (my colleagues just pointed their fingers at me as the ad-hoc GOO :raz: ). I had the pleasure of using the mallet they provided to break the clay. That darn thing only cracked slightly! Oh well, it's just a symbolic gesture. The waitstaff took care of the rest... which is a lot of work, more so than slicing Peking Duck. They needed to break free the clay, unwrap the lotus leave, carve the chicken, then divide up the chicken pieces along with the fillings evenly among the guests. I could see the waiter uttering a few !@#$%^%^ words after the work. :laugh::laugh:

The chicken was tasty, as I remember. But not as tasty as other styles of chicken. I got the impression that this dish is good only for the form.

Went to Kirin for dim sum today - downtown location. 

gallery_25348_1373_748267.jpg

Do they really serve tea with the pot sitting on top of a small sterno stove? That is so cool! But as we get less water in the pot, I am afraid that the tea will get very strong.

You should have seen some of the restaurants in Hong Kong... the waiter holds the hot water pot with long neck and shoot up steaming hot water onto the small teapot over a 1 to 2 feet distance. What a scene!

Pretty pricey meal - about $100 for two.  There were alot of leftovers and I don't think you would have needed to order whole lot more even for maybe four diners. 

That is indeed a very pricey meal, considering one of five items is congee, and the other one a bowl of noodle. It is really hard for people who live in China to imagine. I mean... you can have a bowl of congee or Dan Dan noodle anywhere for a few YMB, which would be something like US $0.50. That must be part of why most things are "made in China" these days...

Let me assume that these 2 items (congee and noodle) were C$10.00 each, that leaves C$80.00 to divide by the other 3 dishes. Around C$25.00 each? That seems quite high. (Considering your wonton noodle is C$5.00 a bowl...) Was there other services we didn't know about while you were eating? Like a foot massage or something? :laugh:

I remember Ling recently had the 8-course banquet dinner, including one whole abalone for each person, at C$60.00 per head...

Dang, I too am sad that I missed the SRiver lunch - was languishing in Nanaimo. And a nice selection of dishes too! Good call Canuckle and Moosh.

gallery_25348_1373_2884.jpgPork in Sesame Cake

This looks really good - look at the texture of the "cake"! I am starving.

gallery_25348_1373_8942.jpgShredded Daikon in Puff Pastry

Again, the puff pastry! I have never seen this dish before myself, but I would love to try it. For some reason I love daikon, I think it is the crunchy texture. What was the main flavour going on in this one, was it the saltiness of the ham or was there a vinegar component? Very curious.

gallery_25348_1373_1816.jpgBraised Meatballs (Lion's Head)

My love of gnow yook (dim sum meat ball) I'm sure has been noted all over this board, so this dish especially caught my attention. The only thing is that you would have to order a bowl of rice to soak up all of that awesome looking braise juice. As Fat Bastard said to Mini Me, "Get in my belly!"

I'll take your word on the celery dish, or perhaps I should just show up at Ling's Mom's place. I'll announce, "I'm from eGullet", we'll exchange knowing smiles, and all will be well.

Also I won't comment on the red bean pastry (no ranting today), except to say that I would love to see this with a black sesame filling - so that I would actually eat it.

That is indeed a very pricey meal, considering one of five items is congee, and the other one a bowl of noodle.

Sorry. I thought that bowl was congee, but reading it again I realized that it is chicken soup.

Still... we can have one whole peking duck in Sacramento for US$16.00 (some places may charge up to US$25.00).

Why are these wonton noodles soo much better than Hon's?  ...

Now - I do have some issues with the soup.  Nice and clear - it seems fine, but my post lunch afternoon daze confirms that it is packed with MSG.

The soup is a very important part of a good bowl of wonton noodles.

I heard that to make the good, Hong Kong style wonton soup, they put:

- Pork bones

- Shrimp shells (which makes sense... what are you going to do with the shells when the shrimp meat goes into the wonton filling?)

- Dried fish (Dai Da Yu), best yet grill the dry fish first (this I have not tried... maybe that's what makes the illusive, characteristic taste of the Hong Kong wonton soup?)

- MSG

The after-effect of MSG... thirstiness... and the taste lingers on your tongue all day long. Price to pay, huh?

Do they really serve tea with the pot sitting on top of a small sterno stove?  That is so cool!  But as we get less water in the pot, I am afraid that the tea will get very strong.

You should have seen some of the restaurants in Hong Kong... the waiter holds the hot water pot with long neck and shoot up steaming hot water onto the small teapot over a 1 to 2 feet distance.  What a scene!

Actually - the teapot sits over a tea candle - so it never gets too hot. Plus the staff are constantly checking the teapot for you. I have never actually seen the long pour technique myself - but I love those old school places in HK - the old waiters are so grumpy, you don't know whether to laugh along or to punch them.

That is indeed a very pricey meal, considering one of five items is congee, and the other one a bowl of noodle. It is really hard for people who live in China to imagine. I mean... you can have a bowl of congee or Dan Dan noodle anywhere for a few YMB, which would be something like US $0.50. That must be part of why most things are "made in China" these days...

The particular restaurant in question is called simply 'Schezwan' in Richmond BC (it is actually mainlander run) - it is an extremely well decorated restaurant with top notch staff and small private rooms. The food is very good - though with alot of Cantonese friendly flavours. The killer pricy dish were the eels - I think that it was close to C$50 or C$60 dollars. They were pretty good - but I am not sure if it warranted the price.

Did they really offer peanut butter as a dip for "zha leung"? First time I have heard of this

Yes - but think of it as more of a light peanut sauce - in the same vein that they serve with 'bang bang' chicken or 'strange flavoured' chicken.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

gallery_25348_1373_8942.jpgShredded Daikon in Puff Pastry

Again, the puff pastry! I have never seen this dish before myself, but I would love to try it. For some reason I love daikon, I think it is the crunchy texture. What was the main flavour going on in this one, was it the saltiness of the ham or was there a vinegar component? Very curious.

Dude - as one would say in Chinese "you know how to eat", very preceptive of you that for a dish like this - you need a counter point of salt or sharpness to bring out the sweetness of the daikon (otherwise it just tastes bland and rich). In this case - both mooshmouse and felt like the ham was not strong enough - so we dabbed the puff with a little dark vinegar - and volia! Deliciousness.

Shangai Wind does a good version of this also.

Overall - it is hard to say whether the food was really good.  So much of the time - it is 'Banquet Food' that follows a real script - so there are really no suprises.

Fish is always part of the meal because it symbolizes wealth and prosperity.  In parts of China where fish is not available or if it is too expensive - carved wooden fish are placed on plates and 'served' to the table.

Re: Chinese (Cantonese) banquet meals

Yes they basically follow the same format and serving dishes from the same categories, and never too far off. Usually there are only a few items that set one package apart from others:

1) Appetizer: The most expensive ones use a whole roasted suckling pig. Less expensive: some pieces of suckling pig and other things such as jelly fish, beef shank, pork leg, etc..

2) The soup: shark fin typically. And there are different classes of shark fin. Some soup has more fin than the other. The price can vary a lot depending on the host's choice.

3) Whether there is abalone on the menu. The most expensive ones, of course, use whole abalone. Others use slices.

4) The fish: different classes of fish, different price range.

The rest would be about the same... scallops, shrimp, crab, fried chicken or squab, fried rice versus noodles, etc..

Re: Fish

The word Fish in Cantonese and Mandarin has the same pronounciation as the word Extra. (Yu). "Yau Yu" - means having a fish, has the same pronounciation of "Yau Yu" as in having extras. Those fish is a good symbolic dish in Chinese banquets.

Re: Ying Yang Fried Rice

Ying Yang, in Cantonese, is the term for a pair of wild ducks: one male, one female, or in general refer to lovers. In general, we use this term "Ying Yang" to describe a pair of something. Ying Yang Fried Rice, indeed, is very appropriate for wedding banquets.

Did they really offer peanut butter as a dip for "zha leung"? First time I have heard of this

Yes - but think of it as more of a light peanut sauce - in the same vein that they serve with 'bang bang' chicken or 'strange flavoured' chicken.

By any chance you were describing the diluted sesame paste? Sesame paste is commonly used as condiment for cheung fun, and is used to make "bang bang" chicken and "strange flavored" chicken.

... I won't comment on the red bean pastry (no ranting today), except to say that I would love to see this with a black sesame filling - so that I would actually eat it.

Mmmm, black sesame... :wub:

I had a version in Hong Kong that was made with ice cream - sounded good but the ice cream was pretty much melted.