• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2002 - 2006

mamster

Dang, I too am sad that I missed the SRiver lunch - was languishing in Nanaimo. And a nice selection of dishes too! Good call Canuckle and Moosh.

[snip]

My love of gnow yook (dim sum meat ball) I'm sure has been noted all over this board, so this dish especially caught my attention. The only thing is that you would have to order a bowl of rice to soak up all of that awesome looking braise juice. As Fat Bastard said to Mini Me, "Get in my belly!"

[snip]

Also I won't comment on the red bean pastry (no ranting today), except to say that I would love to see this with a black sesame filling - so that I would actually eat it.

Brian, as I said to Lorna last night, there'll definitely be a next time with food that good! Sooner, rather than later, of course.

Once again, you hit the nail right on the head. We did have to order a bowl of rice so as not to let that gloriously rich sauce go to waste. And I was expecting a comment like that from you on the deep-fried dumplings... an amazing amount of self-restraint there by not digressing into a full-fledged anti-red-bean rant. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

You guys are making me hungry. When's the next get-together? I know nut'n about real Chinese food - the most adventurous I've been is the obligatory shark fin soup at a banquet dinner - so could use the guidance and education. Help me - I am sooo white. I know a lot about mayonnaise.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Has anyone been to "Cheurn Mae Guon"? (I apologize for not knowing the English name, and my Cantonese-to-English phonetic spelling is also pretty bad!) It's on Anderson Rd. (near Cook Rd.) in Richmond? It's in the same complex as the Dairy Queen. I used to eat there pretty often with my family, and the food is quite good. I was just reminded of this place b/c my parents bought me take-out there today--I like the Szechuan beef noodles. :smile:

I am currently on a gig that will keep me in Richmond for a couple of months at least. The real upside that I will get to try a number of places for lunch now and reconnect with my Chinese roots.

Starting out low key - I went to McKim Noodle Saga for lunch. As posted above - this is run by the family behind that orginal Mak's in HK.

Wonton Noodles and Soup, Beef Brisket Lo Mein

gallery_25348_1373_5832.jpggallery_25348_1373_18424.jpg

The noodles and wonton were very good - bouyant and with a fresh snap to the noodles. The beef brisket was deeply flavoured with star anise and citrus peel. Nice lunch for $11.

Bad news though - I have heard that they are closing shop at the end of November - so there is literally only a few days left to experience this real HK wonton institution. However, Mak's is still excellent and a more than adaquate alternative. Don't even mention Hon's in the same sentence.

I said above that I wanted to get in touch with my Chinese roots - so I went to the most China-like place in all of Richmond. The Richmond Public Market and had lunch in the food court at a place called Xian.

If you ever want to know what it is like to be in a train station in the middle of China - get yourself to the Richmond Public Market. They have the single most dangerous parking structure ever - lit with flickering 10watt flourencent tubes so you feel like you are in a scene from "Seven". Xian specializes in hand made noodles and northern style steamed buns, breads, and dumplings.

gallery_25348_1373_1939.jpggallery_25348_1373_13649.jpg

Lamb Kabobs, Shredded Pork Pork Bun

gallery_25348_1373_10319.jpggallery_25348_1373_7884.jpg

I love the lamb kabobs - but they are a totally acquired taste. They are chewy lamby gristly bits that are covered with cumin and spicy oil. I used to eat these from back of bicycle charcoal grills in Shanghai. The shredded pork bun is like a Chinese take on pulled pork - more savory though. A good douse of black vinegar and chili oil really lifted the flavours.

Pan Fried Pork and Vegetable Dumplings (Wo Tip - the original pot stickers)

gallery_25348_1373_9428.jpggallery_25348_1373_6109.jpg

You get eight of the delectable cigar sized dumplings for less than $4 - and they are good. Cooked to order - they come out juicy and steaming hot. Dipped in a mix of black vinegar and chili oil - there were the best thing at lunch. I had to take most of them home.

I was going to try the Laksa at the Singapore Gourmet Stall - but I was much too full. On the way out I saw what seemed like some sort of Dungeness Crab war between the food stalls.

gallery_25348_1373_14500.jpg

Whole deep fried crab for $6 - crazy prices! I suspect that they are made from expired crabs thus the cheap price and the deep frying (which will offset any lack of freshness in the crab). Still - an eye catching price.

I told my Aunt that I had lunch in the market and she wrinkled her nose at me - disappointed in my lack of judgement. That made me like it all the more.

lee, your posts and pics always make me so hungry. in this case, it brought me back to my childhood as well. :biggrin: there is something very comforting for me, in eating from stalls.

a few people have told me about a good malaysian/singaporean stall in a food court in richmond. would it be this one?

Quentina

Lee, you should try "Jeem Jai Gei" or something like that (I don't think it has an English name), across from Richmond Public Market on Westminster Hwy. Their wontons are really good, flavourful with sesame oil & "crisp" shrimp. I also really like their beef brisket & tendon with rice noodles ("ho fun"). Much bigger portion than Mak's, and probably about the same price if not cheaper. It's in the same mall as some seafood market, not the "Alleluia" mall.

That shredded pork bun from Xian looks really good! I might have to try it next time I'm at the public market (which is like, once every few months). Those "wo teep"s look weird, I've never seen them in a weird fat finger-shaped log before... :blink: I do like "wo teep" a lot though.

Speaking of Northern Chinese cuisine, there's some place at Crystal Mall that sells really really good green onion pancakes. It's more bready than the regular ones, & it's about 2 inches thick. So I guess more like a bun, but it's sooooo good pan-seared in the wok :wub: Very nicely flavoured - nice blending of some kind of spices. It kinda reminds me of "silver thread rolls" cuz the dough is kinda braided together (or however they do it) the same way. I love picking those apart. I'll find out exactly where this place is later.

a few people have told me about a good malaysian/singaporean stall in a food court in richmond.  would it be this one?

I have heard good things about the Singapore Gourmet (I think Keith Talent is a fan also) - so I wanted to try it out - but I was way too full. Next time though - that is where I will hit first.

That shredded pork bun from Xian looks really good! I might have to try it next time I'm at the public market (which is like, once every few months). Those "wo teep"s look weird, I've never seen them in a weird fat finger-shaped log before...  I do like "wo teep" a lot though

Chocomo - thanks for the great tips - I will work my way through your list also! Those wo teep are very different from what I have seen in the usual Shanghainese places - closer to Taiwan style. They are longer and the pastry is not completely sealed at the two ends. So you may think - 'uh-oh, all the porky goodness is going to leak out' - but they are still pretty juicy. I find that the use of the vinegar is really important to lift the flavours.

If you like traditional Chinese breads - give Xian a look next time you are in the market - they had ALOT of different kinds of breads - including really thick giant green onion pancakes. Looks like everything is made on site - and they will hand pull noodles to order too. The people who run are true northern Chinese - their accents (with the rolling r's) were very heavy and I had to reallly really concentrate to speak with them in Mandarin - which is hard enough at the best of times.

^ There's a good curry place at Yaohan as well - we used to get the "party size" buckets of curry for takeout sometimes.

Have you tried Jade Seafood restaurant on Alexandra Road for dim sum or dinner? I've said it before, but I think some of their dim sum items are pretty unique. About the same pricing as Kirin. Their seafood is quite fresh, as well - last time we went for dinner, we each had a whole abalone, & they had "sugar centres" (apparently that's a good thing). The scallop's were plump & juicy, but they tasted faintly of ammonia, yuck... Nobody else noticed though. I'm a bit sensitive to "gone wrong" tastes though, like rancid oil (eww, I had the worst piece of rancid "lap yook" (Chinese bacon) recently, the taste filled my mouth like a mushroom cloud :blink: ).

^I can't stand rancid oil. I think I mentioned earlier that's why I tended to avoid the ubiquitous deep-fried chicken at Chinese banquet dinners...somehow, off-tasting oil is really apparent in that dish.

Oohh "Jeem Jai Gei"--it's been awhile since I've been there! I second the recommendation for the wonton. You can also ask them for a double helping of noodles (for a small price) if one bowl is not enough for you. :smile:

I like the curry place in Yaohan, but I prefer it at Mui's or Deer Garden. I also get the steamed buns filled with meat at Yaohan all the time.

Singapore Gourmet has the single most delicious thing in the universe for the low price of $3.75. Roti Telor. Basicly Malaysian roti, except with scambled egg and carmelized onions on top. And they have in my opnion the best curry dipping sauce in Richmond. I get that with a huge bowl of Laksa there, eat everything and feel vaguely unwell for the balance of the day. Way too much rich food. So insanely good though. And I try to only order one or the other, but while the spirit is willing the flesh is weak.

The Xian stall has in my opinion the best soups in the world if examined on a price quality matrix.

Beef noodle superb. Lamb Noodle, ditto. Spicy vegatable is my favourite, except then you don't get the hand pulled noodles, you could probably ask however...

My current favourite foodcourt lunch is at Yaohan, (were I've recently noticed a slackening in demand for parking spaces, anyone have any guesses, Aberdeen drawing away traffic finally after two years?) It's at the noodle stall closest to the main doors off number three road. I have no idea what it's called, quite possibly "Noodle stall right by the main number three road enterance", Chinese seem pretty pragmatic in that regard. Anyway I get the wonton with bbq pork and noodle soup and then my new favourite thing, rice wrap. Rice wrap is a large lassagna like rice noodle surrounding the previously thought of as being completely useless chinese donut. Two sauces over top, a peanut suace and a thick sweet soy. Cold soft squishy noodle vs. warm crisp donut, together at last. Much like Barbera Ameil and Lord Black, perfectly suited for each other. Rich and decadent too!

Now - I know this is not Chinese - but, Phnom Pehn is located in Chinatwon and they speak Chinese... anyways - was there for lunch yesterday. I find it to be the perfect cold weather food - even though it comes from a tropical climate.

Beef Stew (with Tendons) over Rice Noodles, Mixed Meats over dry Egg Noodles (losts of liver - which I like)

gallery_25348_1380_4240.jpggallery_25348_1380_4381.jpg

Deep Fried Chicken Wings (with a pure lemon juice dip), Deep Fried Spring Rolls (tastes like there is Viennamese pate in the filling - good!)

gallery_25348_1380_15085.jpggallery_25348_1380_8461.jpg

Sweet and Sour Soup (It had pineapples in it - not a good thing in my books)

gallery_25348_1380_4107.jpg

It was a great warming and filling lunch for 3 (could have easily fed 4). $60 inlcuding a very generous tip.

Did the tendon have some chew to it, or was it meltingly soft? (I like both, but prefer the latter.) :smile:

I wonder if the pineapple in the sweet and sour soup is a Vietnamese specialty? I've never had it...and it doesn't sound particularly appealing.

I haven't had those fried chicken wings from Phnom Pehn in too long! :sad:

Did the tendon have some chew to it, or was it meltingly soft? (I like both, but prefer the latter.)  :smile:

I wonder if the pineapple in the sweet and sour soup is a Vietnamese specialty? I've never had it...and it doesn't sound particularly appealing.

I haven't had those fried chicken wings from Phnom Pehn in too long!  :sad:

The tendon was succulently soft and delicous! Really - my friends and I were busting our brains trying to figure out where to eat. Then it was "AHA! Phnom Pehn" - like when you figure out an Encylopedia Brown mystery.

With the cold weather - I went back to the Richmond Public market and had some roti and laksa. The Singaporean/Malaysian place is still there but I think run by new people - or at least the english signage had been removed.

The people manning the place now are (I think) Malaysian - very nice people. When they could not give me exact change, they were going to settle the difference with me getting an extra dollar out of the deal (no Chinese business owner would ever do that). I went to my car and got some change to make sure things were settled fairly.

gallery_25348_1373_11327.jpggallery_25348_1373_8201.jpg

The dipping sauce for the laksa was indeed very delicous - deep with coconut milk but also scented with lime leaves and lemon grass. The laksa was similiarly delicous - full of deep rich flavors (and the most perfectly hard boiled egg - creamy yolk and soft whites - who knew a hard boiled egg could be so good?).

The food was rich and I could not finish it all. I am assuming that you would not drink the soup left behind in the laksa - it was like heavy cream.

All this food for about $10.

^^that looks and sounds delicious! i'm always on the lookout for other laksa sources in the city. lee, is that sambal i see on top of the laksa? what else do they have on their menu?

one of the things i miss most about the home land is a dish called rojak. it's a different version than other rojaks served here, which is more like a salad of veggies. it's pretty much steamed vermicelli with shredded chicken, deep fried tofu, shredded cuke, and slices of hard boiled egg topped with a big dollop of peanut sauce (almost the same as the one used for satay dip). :wub:

Quentina

has anyone eaten at south ocean on garden ciity rd in richmond?

i pulled in there too late to get anything today but everything was in chinese and the waiter that was eating noodles took pitty on me and gave me the dim sum menu. it looks like a place i would love to try ...the few chinese that were in there were looking at me funny.

i dont mind that...i expect it.

i would love to know more about it if anyone has eaten there

thanx

With the cold weather  - I went back to the Richmond Public market and had some roti and laksa.  The Singaporean/Malaysian place is still there but I think run by new people - or at least the english signage had been removed.

Sounds excellent. Any hints for those of us who unfortunately are unable to understand non english signage, as how to recognize the place? :unsure:

TIA :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

i pulled in there too late to get anything today but everything was in chinese and the waiter that was eating noodles took pitty on me and gave me the dim sum menu.  it looks like a place i would love to try ...the few chinese that were in there were looking at me funny.

thanx

Is this the restaurant on the second floor?

i pulled in there too late to get anything today but everything was in chinese and the waiter that was eating noodles took pitty on me and gave me the dim sum menu.  it looks like a place i would love to try ...the few chinese that were in there were looking at me funny.

thanx

Is this the restaurant on the second floor?

Its called south ocean seafood its on the ground floor and it has a yellow sign that lights up at night i think its blue writing. its also got a strange entrance to the parking lot you have to go thru a car wash lot. its weird.

its all chinese writing inside ...on the walls listing things to eat...it looks fabulous.

i am dying to try it

With the cold weather  - I went back to the Richmond Public market and had some roti and laksa.  The Singaporean/Malaysian place is still there but I think run by new people - or at least the english signage had been removed.

Sounds excellent. Any hints for those of us who unfortunately are unable to understand non english signage, as how to recognize the place? :unsure:

TIA :smile:

The signage may be missing - but there is a large lit menu that is in english (with a big picture of the laksa). The stall is along the main entrance from the second floor parking lot.

I hope you try it - definitely one of those little stalls that don't seem as big time busy as the other ones. However - the food is cooked to order (so though there is a little wait) - everything is fresh and tasty.

The signage may be missing - but there is a large lit menu that is in english (with a big picture of the laksa).  The stall is along the main entrance from the second floor parking lot.

I hope you try it - definitely one of those little stalls that don't seem as big time busy as the other ones.  However - the food is cooked to order (so though there is a little wait) - everything is fresh and tasty.

This is exactly where I get my laksa and roti fix when I need a quick one :)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

thanx

We actually have a family friend who works there making rice noodle rolls ("cheung fun"). I've been there a few times, and while it's good, it's not mind-blowingly good. Their rice noodle rolls are quite good though :)

There's a newish place called "Gar Lok" that opened a few months ago at the Richmond Sushi mall on... Akroyd Road, I think? Where Fortune City (? Fortune Garden?) used to be. It's the same dim sum place that was previously at Granville & 41st in Vancouver. The dim sum is really cheap ($2.75, I think?) & pretty good quality for cheap dim sum. When you compare it to regular (more expensive) dim sum though, it's just standard fare. The deep-fried squid is pretty good though - not rubbery, & lightly battered. Get 2 plates though, the portion is pretty small. Also, I'm not sure if they have it anymore, but they used to have these mini custard-filled pineapple buns that were SO GOOD - they were usually fresh out of the oven with crispy tops.

Edited by chocomoo (log)

Yeah I drive by it all the time...it's been there for awhile. I can't remember if I've eaten there--I'll ask my parents tomorrow. The restaurant upstairs has some super crazy expensive items!!

Thanks Ling... i would love to know more about it and if they have eaten there what did they like? i didnt know there was a resturant above it. i guess i was concentrating on getting a parking space.

anyway.... i am looking forward to hearing what your parents have to say.