• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2002 - 2006

mamster

I really can't recommend trying the same duck dish Ho Yuen Kee (46th and Fraser) strongly enough. It is fantastic. But get it with a large group because it is incredibly rich. It's not on the menu and you have to order it when you make your reservation, but it is well worth the effort.

Have you had the garlic crab dishes there? I've heard that it is very good there. what other recommendations at Ho Yuen Kee? I've been thinking about going and checking it out.

Chanced upon Northern Delicacy in Aberdeen Centre while visiting Richmond on Friday. We started with steamed pork dumplings (xiao long bao?). I've read about these but never tried them. We could have binged on these.

Next we had fried green beans with minced pork, beef tenderloin with celery and green onions, and fried noodles with chicken, ham and shrimp. We really enjoyed all these dishes, but the noodles were our favourite.

The only disappointment was a dish called sliced chicken breast braised in spicy sauce which we ordered after seeing it being served to adjacent tables and asking the server what it was. While it looked good, our serving was mostly deep fried batter with a few scraps of chicken. We left most of it.

We will definitely return. Anybody have any recommendations on dishes we should try next time?

Next time you go, try the tea-smoked duck and/or the pork belly - in my opinion, two of the top offerings on a very good menu. The homemade house noodles are also great (they serve a spicy bean version that is out of this world) as is a spicy chicken dish served with crispy spinach (tender pieces of chicken breast, not deep fried).

Chanced upon Northern Delicacy in Aberdeen Centre while visiting Richmond on Friday.  We started with steamed pork dumplings (xiao long bao?).  I've read about these but never tried them.  We could have binged on these. 

Next we had fried green beans with minced pork, beef tenderloin with celery and green onions, and fried noodles with chicken, ham and shrimp.  We really enjoyed all these dishes, but the noodles were our favourite. 

The only disappointment was a dish called sliced chicken breast braised in spicy sauce which we ordered after seeing it being served to adjacent tables and asking the server what it was.  While it looked good, our serving was mostly deep fried batter with a few scraps of chicken.  We left most of it.

We will definitely return.  Anybody have any recommendations on dishes we should try next time?

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

• 4 weeks later...

Had a very good dim sum lunch today at Kirin downtown. The room was very packed and busy. Kirin has a slightly different menu at each location and will have monthly specials.

They had a deep friend salt and pepper fish that was really good (there are two on them on the menu - one is a smaller fish - ask for the larger ones). For $7.80 you got 5 whole fried fish slightly smaller than palm sized (heads and fins removed).

They were really good - succulent and on the bone. They were a salt water fish - and were called "san man yu" or sand fish (- and the 'san man' was not a transleration of salmon).

Give it a try if you find yourself at Kirin Downtown.

I was there recently with a chinese speaking friend, we were seated near the waiter station, the staff were dressing down a new waiter in manner that'd make Gordon Ramsey blush. Seriously. Or maybe my chinese speaking friend was just having me on, taking the piss to entertain me. Hard to tell as I don't speak madarin, and he is a bit of a joker. But from the play by play translation I got, chinese could give longshoreman swearing lessons.

Got to Top Gun today for dim sum. They down to one location - on McKim and Garden City - second floor of a small mall.

Over all - it was all good. Some of the dishes were fairly imaginative and quite good (egg whites with salted yolks over pea tips, chicken wings stuffed with sticky rice). Service was a little slow and they tried to do alot of upselling - I was with two Non-Asians and I kept getting advice as to what they would like - but it all good intentioned. It took a good 20-30 minutes to get the fried noodle dish that I ordered (Singapore Style Lai Fun).

It was pretty straightforward getting a table - which was a good thing because I could not for the life of me find a phone number for the restaurant that worked. Just showed up and we were seated immeadiately.

I have to say - that I don't think it was good as Gingeri, Jade, or Kirin - the flavors were not quite as bright and fresh. But really - it was a very good solid lunch.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Got to Top Gun today for dim sum.  They down to one location - on McKim and Garden City - second floor of a small mall.

Over all - it was all good.  Some of the dishes were fairly imaginative and quite good (egg whites with salted yolks over pea tips, chicken wings stuffed with sticky rice).  Service was a little slow and they tried to do alot of upselling - I was with two Non-Asians and I kept getting advice as to what they would like - but it all good intentioned.  It took a good 20-30 minutes to get the fried noodle dish that I ordered (Singapore Style Lai Fun).

It was pretty straightforward getting a table - which was a good thing because I could not for the life of me find a phone number for the restaurant that worked.  Just showed up and we were seated immeadiately.

I have to say - that I don't think it was good as Gingeri, Jade, or Kirin - the flavors were not quite as bright and fresh.  But really - it was a very good solid lunch.

Do they have cart service? How's the prices, cc accepted? Funny how they've gone down to one, they used to be so big, but I guess that was awhile ago, there are so many new entries into the market now. Thanks for the review, very helpful. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Top Gun does not have cart service. Prices are probably similar to Kirin but if you go before 10:30 on weekends, I think everything is 30% off but it does get crowded and reservations are recommended. They do a char siu (BBQ pork) dish using pork cheeks that is really nice

Alex

Over all - it was all good.  Some of the dishes were fairly imaginative and quite good (egg whites with salted yolks over pea tips, chicken wings stuffed with sticky rice).  Service was a little slow and they tried to do alot of upselling - I was with two Non-Asians and I kept getting advice as to what they would like - but it all good intentioned.  It took a good 20-30 minutes to get the fried noodle dish that I ordered (Singapore Style Lai Fun).

As one of the non-Asians in attendance, I'd have to concur with Mr. canucklehead and add that the buns at the start were excellent too. I'm sure my chopstick skills kept everyone entertained and were the big reason why the noodles were late ...

"Don't bring that guy the Singapore Noodles ... he'll have shit all over the place once he's done eating!"

A.

Top Gun does not have cart service.  Prices are probably similar to Kirin but if you go before 10:30 on weekends, I think everything is 30% off but it does get crowded and reservations are recommended.  They do a char siu (BBQ pork) dish using pork cheeks that is really nice

Alex

Alex - do you have a phone number that works? Nobody picked up or I got a message that the phone was no longer in service. And I did see a posting in the restaurant that the earlier you got there - the cheaper it was. As noted by Alex - no carts - but the english menu was reasonably well written and understandable. I have to concur with Daddy-A, the baked bbq pork buns were soft and had the crackling sweet topping on the bun. Sweet and savory - good!

They were trying to sell alot of sushi and sashimi - but I did not try any.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Alex - do you have a phone number that works?  Nobody picked up or I got a message that the phone was no longer in service.

Have you tried calling 738-8888? Cantonese or Mandarin only though, I think.

As you know - one of the great things about living in BC is Spotted Prawn Season. Sea Harbour is serving them for $13.80 a pound - a steal considering good prawns retail for about $10 a pound. We had them wok fried with a sweet soy sauce ("see yau wong")

gallery_25348_1373_11758.jpggallery_25348_1373_2098.jpg

We had a pound of them and they were delicous. Sea Harbour does homestyle dishes so nicely - we also had a large watercress soup; half a hand shredded chicken; pork neck filets with abalone mushrooms; water spinach with shallots, shredded ginger, and nam yu (fremented tofu). All this came to $98 before tip and we did not drink. Looked they were quite busy - lots of Mandarin being spoken around the room - so they are attracting more than just the HK crowd.

As you know - one of the great things about living in BC is Spotted Prawn Season.  Sea Harbour is serving them for $13.80 a pound - a steal considering good prawns retail for about $10 a pound.  We had them wok fried with a sweet soy sauce ("see yau wong")

We had a pound of them and they were delicous.  Sea Harbour does homestyle dishes so nicely - we also had a large watercress soup; half a hand shredded chicken; pork neck filets with abalone mushrooms; water spinach with shallots, shredded ginger, and nam yu (fremented tofu).  All this came to $98 before tip and we did not drink.  Looked they were quite busy - lots of Mandarin being spoken around the room - so they are attracting more than just the HK crowd.

The meal sounds exquisite. I wish I could have been there.

How does one glean filets out of pork neck? I'll have to go look at the meat department at Fairways later. I've always pictured pork neck bones to be well more boney than meat.

The meal sounds exquisite. I wish I could have been there.

How does one glean filets out of pork neck? I'll have to go look at the meat department at Fairways later. I've always pictured pork neck bones to be well more boney than meat.

Not technically the meat right from the neck - but from the top of the butt between the shoulder and neck. I got some from Illichman's in Kelowna - so I think that European butchers carry the cut. It is best quickly cooked just through - as you want to maintain the 'springiness' of the meat. Perhaps grilled on the bbq or smothered in onions.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to Shiang Garden on No.3 Road today for dim sum with Mooshmouse.  I have not been for a little while - but I remember liking it the first time I went.

I went to Shiang Garden with a few friends today for dim sum, and I was quite impressed with the spread. I thought the classics were well-represented, in particular: cheung fun (long rice noodles), both with BBQ pork and with pea shoots; har gow; pai gwut (spare ribs). Killer XO sauce. Oh yeah and those char sui bao's that Moosh talked about back there somewhere, were really nice. Different. I even ate some congee - it was not bad with a lot of picked veg and some XO, consistency nice (not snotty nor watery), but not something that I would have ordered myself.

One main "complaint" if you can call it that was the heavy sauces, everything is in corn starch overdrive. Good for winter, could maybe use a lighter coating in the heat though. Nor mai fan (steamed glutinous rice) missed the mark - too plain, no lap cheung or other fat source inside, as did the chow mein (also a bit plain). However, like I said some of the classics were very well represented and the combination of that plus the over-the-top Viennese decadence inside are enough to warrant a return visit.

No DNA facial afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk about Top Shanghai got me very curious - so of course I had to go check it out. As soon as you walk in - you can tell this place is the real deal. Real Shanghainese food in well lit and pleasant surroundings. Shanghai River is clearly HK influenced while Shanghai Wind, though good, the whole crowding around cramped plastic covered tables can be tiring.

The menu is extensive and there looked like a lot of things worth trying out.

Edamame and pickled veggies stirred fried with tofu sheets. Wontons in Hot and Sour Soup.

gallery_25348_1373_14125.jpggallery_25348_1373_11001.jpg

The tofu sheet dish was excellent - savory and hot from the wok. I wish the table had some black vinegar so I could dabble some on - to really lift the flavors. The Wontons in H/S soup was ordered in error - but it gave us the chance to try the H/S - and it was very nice. Bright flavors, a little bit of smokiness but not over thickened. Again - some vinegar at the table would have been really nice.

Rice Cakes with Pork and Pickled Veggies. Soup Dumplings

gallery_25348_1373_156.jpggallery_25348_1373_12495.jpg

I love Rice Cakes - and this had a nice chew - good solid dish - real bright wok flavors. Then came the Soup Dumplings and though good - were not at the same level of SR or SW. Did not have the same porkiness of SW or the consome intensity of SR. The oddest thing was it came with white vinegar - I much prefer the almost balsamic tones and sharper acid of Chinese black vinegar for Soup Dumplings. They were not BAD dumplings by any stretch - but the side dishes were clearly superior.

Got a couple of fried dishes - Onion Pancakes, Daikon Cakes, and the Beignet Red Bean Dessert - they were pretty heavy and a little oily. The wok based stuff was the best in my books. Definitely worth checking for an evening meal. I am still searching for a place that will do the stirred fried crab/shrimp with salted duck eggs yolks. I am pretty sure this place would do it.

Oh - getting a table was a virtual war - checking in on your number constantly - attempts to elbow your way into faster seating - trying to avoid table sharing. They take resos - but they only seem to be useful for larger tables. Groups of 2 or 3 would end up in the small tables crap shoot.

All this talk about Top Shanghai got me very curious - so of course I had to go check it out.

Glad you went and thanks so much for reporting back - and with photos! Disappointed to hear about the xiao long bao, but thrilled to hear they have that rice cake dish, as it's a favorite of ours. Will still give the xlb a try as we compare it to others in the area. Will post my findings after returning at the end of next week.

I am still searching for a place that will do the stirred fried crab/shrimp with salted duck eggs yolks. 

I ate this at Empire about 3 weeks ago. :smile:

Did you like (love) it?

I enjoyed it, but the rest of my family didn't like it very much. (It was our first time trying this preparation).

I am still searching for a place that will do the stirred fried crab/shrimp with salted duck eggs yolks. 

I ate this at Empire about 3 weeks ago. :smile:

I admittedly haven't checked the forum for comments on this restaurant, but how is the rest of the food at Empire?