• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2002 - 2006

mamster

Here are some pics from Golden Szechuan.

ma po do fu (spicy tofu)

138889513_dbde951adf_m.jpg

la rou (spicy Chinese bacon)

138889219_63201fadda_m.jpg

Szechuan fried green beans

138888597_b100d98021_m.jpg

pan-fried pancakes rolls with beef

138888210_492e7e641f_m.jpg

hot and sour soup

138888829_19374345c0_m.jpg

I must've started digging into the chilli-oil dumplings before he could get a picture. Those were good!

Edited by Ling (log)

You should try the blanched pork belly that you dip in the hot spicy sauce.  There is no avoiding that you are eating fatty fatty goodness - but God - it's delicous.

Lee, was that the dish with a little wooden rack, with each strip of meat hanging over it's own peg? I still dream about that dish :rolleyes:

Fatty goodness indeed.

A.

Here are some pics from Golden Szechuan.

ma po do fu (spicy tofu)

Almost as good as Mom's, but not as good as mine  :wink:

la rou (spicy Chinese bacon)

Not even close to as good as Mom's

Szechuan fried green beans

Better than Mom's

pan-fried pancakes rolls with beef

Mom doesn't make these. I loved them, espescially dipped in the spicy ma po do fu oil.

hot and sour soup

ehhhh. Same as anywhere else.

I must've started digging into the chilli-oil dumplings before he could get a picture. Those were good!

Houng Yeo Tsuow So.  The yeo (oil) wasn't quite hong (red) enough. Good wontons, they just needed to be spicier.

There were only two of us eating, but since its so hard to find good Szechuan food in Seattle (I know, Seven Stars Pepper is OK :rolleyes: ) I just had to order everything. I even showed some restraint and left off a few dishes. We're gonna get the boiled beef dish next time (Sway Tzu Rho). That's gotta be spicy! Also the twice cooked pork (Hway Guo Rho) or "return to the wok meat." I'm sure that's what you guys are refering to up thread. And the table next to us orderd the Fish Fragrant Eggplant - Yur Shang Chie Tzi. That looked very well prepared.

138887917_e4b3425280.jpg

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Waaaaay upthread are my pictures from my first meal and Golden Schzewan on West Broadway. The spicy beef is very good - spicy and deeply flavored. I think their Richmond is better - the menu is more authentic and they cart around those little cold dishes to try. I also think that they use more Schezwan Peppercorns at the Richmond location. Their tan-tan noodles are quiet good - restrained with the peanut sauce.

Golden Schewan

They actually do bring out the cold dishes at the Vancouver location, but I think only on weekends - at least that's the only time I've seen them. I also think the Richmond location is a little better, the flavors being a little more on point. Boiled beef is the way to go, or if you can afford it, the same dish with fish.

GS was actually my first review, oh the memories.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

I'm pretty sure they are potatoes, as that's what all of my sichuanese friends call them.  but maybe they are just dumbing it down for the stupid american.  i will ask for clarification.

They are absolutely potatoes! I'm guessing the secret is super high heat. Much mroe BTUs than we can get at home, and stir fry them very quickly.

I read some of the old posts in this thread and some ppl mention Koon Bo at 41st and Fraser... I remember going there a few years ago after "buy sun" (paying respects to dead relatives at the graveyard) and had this delicious chow fun made with their own homemade "shyoon choy" (sour/pickled veg). Does anyone know if Koon Bo is still there and if they still have this dish?

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

In Eatvancouver's review, he mentions Sour and Spicy Shredded Potatoes. What are these? They're certainly not potatoes, daikon perhaps? I completely love these things, they are the greatest dish. Cruchy, savoury and salty.

Yeah - they are potatoes - they served them like that in Shanghai. One you get over the notion that they are undercooked - they are really delicious.

I read some of the old posts in this thread and some ppl mention Koon Bo at 41st and Fraser... I remember going there a few years ago after "buy sun" (paying respects to dead relatives at the graveyard) and had this delicious chow fun made with their own homemade "shyoon choy" (sour/pickled veg). Does anyone know if Koon Bo is still there and if they still have this dish?

Koon Bo is still there - I have not been there for a little while but I like the food there. The bbq duck is very nice and they use that homemade pickled veg in shredded chicken salad w/ deep fried wonton skins that is great.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I haven't been in a while either, but I heard that they have recently expanded into the space next door (the seating used to be quite crowded) BUT the food hasn't been as good. Like canucklehead, I love their bbq meat (both duck & quail are good - crispy skin, juicy & flavourful meat) and shredded chicken salad.

The chow fun dish is also available at their brother restaurant, Koon Lok, and it's called "mei choi zi geung ngau ho" (pickled veggies with pickled ginger, beef fried rice noodle).

Looking for weird / authetic / non Cantonese food in Richmond. Hopefully not too expensive. I used to like Vogue but it seemed their quality went down a bit over the years. I used to love their Lamb noodles.

Looking for good nonexpensive dimsum in Richmond. Any suggestions?

... He declared it the best congee he's had in Vancouver, despite finding two bits of egg-shells in it.

Anyway - has your friend been to Double Double on Kingsway? I will try the congee at Tsim Tsai Gai to test this out. I simply don't want it to be the case that the best examples of all Chinese food items are all in Richmond.

Oh man, I tried Double Double for the first time on Saturday (I skipped my workout to go!! :biggrin: ). We got lots of food.

First, we got 2 kinds of congee ("kup dai" & "tang jai", as in pork internal organs (minus intestines, I think? *shudder*) and seafood). The liver in the "kup dai" congee was really fresh, & not overcooked AT ALL (the liver in congee I've had in the past has been grey & hard). There were also some small pieces of pork in the congee, kidney, & some other kind of organ (of which I had a good piece & a bad piece). The "tang jai" congee was also quite good. I think this congee differs from the higher-priced seafood congee (which sometimes contain scallops & prawns) in that it typically uses less expensive ingredients like cod & squid. There were also some roasted peanuts sprinkled on top. The congee itself was quite good - a little too thick for me though, although the flavour was quite nice - the "tang jai" seafood had a nice seafood taste without being too fishy.

Of course we got the obligatory Chinese donuts - both the long "you ja gwai" & the "ngau lei so" (beef tongue, so called because of the shape, I guess?). Normally I don't like "ngau lei so" because of the heavy baking soda flavour. The dough that it's comprised of is generally denser than the regular long Chinese donut, & the outside is also sweet. The ngo lei so at Double Double was so good! It's the only place I've ever had ngau lei so that I actually liked - no baking soda taste! My grandma says that the ones in Hong Kong usually also have a bit of "nam yue" (red fermented tofu) flavour added in as well, but these ones didn't.

We also had fried wontons ("gum lo wonton") which came with the usual sweet & sour sauce (we could've used a bigger plate of it though), which were nice, light & crisp. The wonton had 3 crisp shrimp inside - probably the best fried wonton I've ever had. Different from the ones at Jade (on Alexandra), where the focus is on the sweet & sour sauce (with scallops, fish, & prawns). I think that the traditional fried wontons have very little filling though - just a tiny little ball of pork filling, & a giant piece of "skin" - although apparently the sauce has stuff in it, like bbq pork & other stuff.

Also got the "foong sa" (wind sand?? I think the "sa" in the name comes from "sa geung", as in that ginger spice mix) deep-fried chicken wings. WOW, were the wings plump! Quality wings, with less ginger flavour than I expected - I think I like the ones at Aberdeen Centre better - the original foong sa wings! Double Double's wings are cheaper than the Aberdeen ones though, & are better quality.

We also got Chinese radish pan-fried cake ("law bak go") which was not that great (but at least not too greasy) & stir-fried soya sauce egg noodles (not bad, again not too greasy).

Gum Lo Wonton? That's the magic word! :smile: I'm going here to try it.

It surprises me that this simple dish is difficult to find here in LA.

When i am in the Vancouver/Richmond area Shanghai Wind is one of my favorite places... aside from the soup dumplings can anyone point me towards some of their best dishes. i want to get to know their menu better. i asked if they make their own noodles and they said they did ...has anyone had anything in particular they really liked.

I would really appreciate some guidance on anything on the menu as long as it fabulous.

Thanks

I haven't been to Shanghai Wind in a few months, but I think their vegetarian hot and sour soup is better than most restaurants. I also like their "fried radish cake" and the lion's head meatballs. The latter is quite flavourful and there isn't too much filler in it (like the ones at Vogue...horrible.)

I haven't been to Shanghai Wind in a few months, but I think their vegetarian hot and sour soup is better than most restaurants. I also like their "fried radish cake" and the lion's head meatballs. The latter is quite flavourful and there isn't too much filler in it (like the ones at Vogue...horrible.)

Thanks i appreciate that one of the things i like there is the baked short cake its a pork and green onion filled bun thats very addictive. i usually buy them by the dozen and put them in the freezer. i heat them in the oven and they are fabulous for snacks.

what about main dishes pork or otherwise have you had anything from them?

I have'nt been with a big group - so I haven't tried too many of the larger main courses. I agree that the lions head is good as well as the radish cakes. I have something called 'two in one" - which is soup with stuffed tofu and dumpings - very homey tasting.

If you are adventerous - perhaps you could try the "8 treasure duck" and report back whether it was good or not.

I have'nt been with a big group - so I haven't tried too many of the larger main courses.  I agree that the lions head is good as well as the radish cakes.  I have something called 'two in one" - which is soup with stuffed tofu and dumpings - very homey tasting.

If you are adventerous - perhaps you could try the "8 treasure duck" and report back whether it was good or not.

ah yes! I think thats another good good suggestion i love duck so thats a great idea. Do you have any idea how its made?

i will try it sometime soon and let you know. thanks

ah yes! I think thats another good good suggestion i love duck so thats a great idea. Do you have any idea how its made?

It should be a boneless duck stuffed 8 kinds of grains/stuffings (rice, certain lentils, dates, etc...) and then it is roasted or braised. In order to enjoy it - you need to like the thick chinese style of stuffing - like sticky rice or the steamed tamale ('chung').

It should be a boneless duck stuffed 8 kinds of grains/stuffings (rice, certain lentils, dates, etc...) and then it is roasted or braised. In order to enjoy it - you need to like the thick chinese style of stuffing - like sticky rice or the steamed tamale ('chung').

OH YES! thats sounds YUMMY! is it and entire duck? i suppose it is.

have you had 8 treasure duck before then other places?

^ Yes it is an entire duck - I'm too lazy to write about it again, so here's the link to my post about Shanghai Wind's 8 treasure duck: click!. You also must try the red-bean filled cream puff things, which I wrote about in my post as well. I should try their fried radish cake (I don't like the steamed kind - I've had too many with a pasty consistency) & lion's head meatballs next time.

^ Yes it is an entire duck - I'm too lazy to write about it again, so here's the link to my post about Shanghai Wind's 8 treasure duck:  click!.  You also must try the red-bean filled cream puff things, which I wrote about in my post as well.  I should try their fried radish cake (I don't like the steamed kind - I've had too many with a pasty consistency) & lion's head meatballs next time.

WOW! thanks so much i am really looking forward to it !

^ Yes it is an entire duck - I'm too lazy to write about it again, so here's the link to my post about Shanghai Wind's 8 treasure duck:  click!.  You also must try the red-bean filled cream puff things, which I wrote about in my post as well.  I should try their fried radish cake (I don't like the steamed kind - I've had too many with a pasty consistency) & lion's head meatballs next time.

I really can't recommend trying the same duck dish Ho Yuen Kee (46th and Fraser) strongly enough. It is fantastic. But get it with a large group because it is incredibly rich. It's not on the menu and you have to order it when you make your reservation, but it is well worth the effort.

My Blog - My Dinner Table