• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2002 - 2006

mamster

Imperial Court is located at 6360 No. 3 Rd # 6 - correct me if I am wrong. $8.80 is ridiculously low!! That must be a lost leader of some sort. Also - if the yee mein thing is included - that is another score.

It is usually an upcharge to get noodles tossed in the sauce (I paid $15 for that). Good deal Makanmakan.

Not sure what it is called - but it have seen the dish prepared with candied walnuts in the U.S. - does that sound familiar?  Recently - I have seen a real fashion for tossing deep fried slices of pork chop in a sweetened mayo (basically Miracle Whip and condensed milk).

I like the fried pork in sweetened mayo, though. I've had it at Deer Garden in Richmond, but I think they changed chefs a year or so ago?

Here is the deep fried pork chop with sweetened mayo. I had this at the Landmark Restaurant which serves very home style cantonese food.

gallery_25348_1373_5524.jpg

I know it looks weird (schmeged really) - but it is good. Give it a chance.

Imperial Court is located at 6360 No. 3 Rd # 6 - correct me if I am wrong.  $8.80 is ridiculously low!!  That must be a lost leader of some sort.  Also - if the yee mein thing is included - that is another score.

It's ridiculously low to attract customers. But where the restaurants "trick" you and get back their loss is in one or more of the following:

1) extra water in the weighing pan, so your crab is reportedly heavier than it actually is

2) the quality of the crab you get. I went to one of these ridiculously cheap places once (I think it was Empire ... Ling reviewed this place a few pages up) at the start of the season. The crabs were almost black in colour (very dark red). It didn't look healthy. Plus they wanted to put us at the table just inside the front door where everyone was standing and waiting. We decided to leave since they couldn't care less about a family of 4 coming in to feast on the most exotic & expensive of crabs.

We ended up going to Mandarin on #3, and had a great tasting crab that was a vibrant red in colour.

3) the upcharge for cooking in 2 or 3 course (usually 3 I think). I know Empire charged a ridiculous $25 cooking charge, while Mandarin charged $15. The cost per pound was ~$13 vs ~$9, so the difference in charge by pound is made up for by the cooking charge

4) service ... the cheaper the crab, the more likely the service is rushed, as well as the cooking. They're obviously not making much from you for the crab, but it boggles me why they don't serve more friendlier when they know they're getting a killing off of you for other hidden charges.

This season was a good one ... Since the mid-Jan, I've had king crab about 5-6 times already. Once at Imperial, twice at Mandarin, once at Jade, and once at Sun Sui Wah.

My vote this year goes to Mandarin. (It probably helps that my parents knows one of the captains there, and have eaten king crab more than twice there this year alone with other friends)

Speaking of crab, I wonder if you are all aware of this little essay:

http://www.chowhound.com/midatlantic/board...sages/7171.html

It was written by Joe Heflin, an acquaintance from the DC dining scene, where he is somewhat infamous.

I find it quite entertaining.

Edited by eatvancouver (log)

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

It was written by Joe Heflin, an acquaintance from the DC dining scene, where he is somewhat infamous. 

I find it quite entertaining.

It seems clear that this gentleman needs some serious training. Would that I had been at the next table so that I might have said, as a DC-area compatriot and part time Vancouver resident, that I would be happy to take in what he left behind.

Boy, it sure must be a shock to come face-to-face with what you're eating. I thought the essay/rant was silly.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Had dinner tonight at Shanghai River. We were only two people so I didn't get to try as many items as I would have liked. We ordered:

Shredded pork szechaun style - yure shang rou si - fragrant fish flavored pork

129968556_6ba28febf8.jpg

129968753_219dec9a8a.jpg

This was both of our favorite dishes of the night. Could have been more spicy for my taste, but very flavorful, and reminded me of dishes I've had in Taiwan. Boy was it oily! (that;s a good thing!) We even had some spinach in it. Had to got our nightly allotment of veggies.

Steamed pork soup buns - shou lung bao - small dragon buns

129968910_5feebc2b9b.jpg

129969065_84408cc09c.jpg

These are what we came to this restaurant for. A bit disappointing in my opinion. The filling and soup were a bit on the bland side. They could have used some more soup in the buns. Still better than anything I can get in Seattle though.

pan fried pork dumplings - guo teia - potstickers

129969377_30a6d1b42b.jpg

129969511_f3f648fba3.jpg

Filling was bland. Needed more salt or soy. I did like the amount of soup in the filling though. And the bits of Chinese chives were a nice touch, as were the handmade skins. I've had better though. In fact, I've made better (sans handmade skins of course.)

scallion pancakes - tsong yuo bing - scallion oil cakes

129969657_f2d7958d1a.jpg

Good number of layers. Needed some salt. The first time I had these deep fried. I prefer the pan fried version, call me a traditionalist.

Coming from Seattle, it was nice to have some "real" Chinese food for a change. Even though it sounds like I'm complaining about most of the dished we ordered, I REALLY enjoyed my meal at Shanghai River! I can't wait to come back to Richmond and try Shanghai Wind. Heck, any of the "Shanghai" places!

I saw Peking duck two ways on the menu. Should we come back to SR for this or is there a better place for Peking duck two ways in Vancouver?

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

Shredded pork szechaun style - yure shang rou si - fragrant fish flavored pork

The pork was stir-fried with garlic and chillis. It was spicy enough for me. Delicious! Even the spinach was not bad.

Steamed pork soup buns - shou lung bao - small dragon buns

These are what we came to this restaurant for. A bit disappointing in my opinion. The filling and soup were a bit on the bland side. They could have used some more soup in the buns. Still better than anything I can get in Seattle though.

The wrappers are a little thicker than the ones at Bao Guo Bu Yi, but thinner than the ones at Shanghai Wind. I think the soup base is in between the two restaurants' in terms of richness and depth of flavour. I know it takes more skill to make the wrappers thin, but I still like the amount of soup and the taste of the soup in the xiao long bao at Shanghai Wind better. (Unfortunately, SW was closed last night so we couldn't do a comparison like we had planned.)

pan fried pork dumplings - guo teia - potstickers

Filling was bland. Needed more salt or soy. I did like the amount of soup in the filling though. And the bits of Chinese chives were a nice touch, as were the handmade skins. I've had better though. In fact, I've made better (sans handmade skins of course.)

Agree. Bland. Would not order again. Not enough colour on the potstickers either.

scallion pancakes - tsong yuo bing - scallion oil cakes

Good number of layers. Needed some salt. The first time I had these deep fried. I prefer the pan fried version, call me a traditionalist.

Agree. Wouldn't order this again.

Shanghai River is definitely aimed at the cantonese palate - lighter flavours bordering on the bland. Especially true for someone who is used to the big strong flavours of Tawainese food. There are a lot of places in HK that serve this type of Shanghainese food - I must admit that I prefer it over the food that I got even in Shanghai - which I found much heavier and used a ton of MSG.

Shanghai Wind - though run by Shanghainese people - also has lighter flavours. The food is more rustic and homemade tasting. I like both SR and SW for different reasons.

If you want to try something spicy next time you are in Richmond - you may want to drop in on Golden Schezwan on No.3. or Vogue (which specializes in Tawainese style foods).

If you want to try something spicy next time you are in Richmond - you may want to drop in on Golden Schezwan on No.3. or Vogue (which specializes in Tawainese style foods).

I like Vogue. Have you been to the Taiwanese restaurant next to it? Apparently the food served there is more authentic.

I'll have to try Golden Szechuan. I don't know much about Szechuan food. :smile:

I like Vogue. Have you been to the Taiwanese restaurant next to it? Apparently the food served there is more authentic.

I believe it's called "Traditional Taiwanese Cuisine"? We've been there a couple times and enjoyed the food. They serve this interesting "paper hot pot" thing...it's food put into a cone of parchment paper, and it sits in a contraption that keeps it over a candle. The paper doesn't burn or leak.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Has anyone been to Sha Lin Noodle House recently? Or anyone know of any other place in Vancouver or Richmond who does hand-pulled noodles (besides Shanghai River?)

Legendary Noodle on Main St, just a few doors down from Hawker's Delight. I've only been there once, and I like the food at Sha Lin better. We ate at Sha Lin a couple months ago, and it was fine. I love their cutting (?) noodles -- the ones cut from a big hunk of dough, flying straight into the water. I had some with curry flavour and pork. Really yummy!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

I believe it's called "Traditional Taiwanese Cuisine"? We've been there a couple times and enjoyed the food. They serve this interesting "paper hot pot" thing...it's food put into a cone of parchment paper, and it sits in a contraption that keeps it over a candle. The paper doesn't burn or leak.

Actually it's Ellie next door to "Traditional Taiwanese" that does the paper hot pot. And the service method is really the only interesting thing about them, the contents have never struck me as particularly exciting, especially when compared to other things on the menu.

Trad Taiwan is good, far more a casual noodle shop type place than Vogue, which is a sit down full service restaurant. At Traditional Taiwanese we like the spicy won ton, a dish called stupid noodle. Or maybe crazy noodle, I forget, it's a spicy/sweet peanut sauce on noodles anyway.

And Xi An food in the needing a good pressure wash Richmond Public Market has hand pulled noodles made to order. Five bucks gets you a large bowl of perfectly chewy noodles in lamb broth with a veg. One of my favourite bowls of soup in the universe. they also have an excellent vegetarian hot and sour with hand pulled noodles full of veg and tofu.

Actually it's Ellie next door to "Traditional Taiwanese" that does the paper hot pot. And the service method is really the only interesting thing about them, the contents have never struck me as particularly exciting, especially when compared to other things on the menu.

Trad Taiwan is good, far more a casual noodle shop type place than Vogue, which is a sit down full service restaurant. At Traditional Taiwanese we like the spicy won ton, a dish called stupid noodle. Or maybe crazy noodle, I forget, it's a spicy/sweet peanut sauce on noodles anyway.

Agreed about Ellie. I love those bonito-topped fried tofu squares!! Every time I go, there isn't one table in the place without this dish.

Traditional Taiwanese is exactly what you say it is: much more casual than Vogue. Dishes are less expensive, but the quality of ingredients isn't really up to Vogue's standards. I've never been impressed with their xiao long bao or wuo tei. Also, I've had slightly rancid meat there before, never at Vogue. That being said, nobody else noticed the "off" meat. I had a bento box last time & I really liked it - sides included stir-fried garlic chives & corn (with lots of garlic) and stir-fried diced firm tofu with veggies. I think you're right, those noodles are called stupid noodles.

I also like the food at Elephant Castle. Mmm, grilled corn on the cob...

Elephant Castle?

Do you mean Pearl Castle? Three/Four doors down from Vogue? Elephant & Castle is a deep fryer-centric brit pub themed hellhole CFD. Although you can get a beer and watch from the bleacher seating at the international arrivals gate at YVR while waiting to make an airport pick up, so that's kinda cool.

Oops, I did mean Pearl Castle! Actually, their first store was in the Parker Place food court, and that one was called Elephant Castle :) That was the first place I ever had bubble tea with something other than tapioca "pearls" in it (it was pudding, by the way - tastes better than it sounds).

sometimes i like grass jelly in my bubble tea...but then i guess it'd be called "jelly tea".

ok, i've been to both Traditional Taiwanese and Ellie. Ellie's got Malaysian dishes too if I recall correctly...we were doubtful about the authenticity of the Malaysian stuff, but it tasted fine in any case :raz:

Thanks for all the recommendations above!

I had dim sum with my parents and my bf on Friday at Jade. I believe this is my second time there, but the first time was a long time ago, and we went with little recollection as to whether we had enjoyed our first experience there.

We ordered a variety of the usual dim sum dishes, and while they were above-average in presentation, we seemed to agree that the food was above-average at best and nothing was really worth going back for, except for the pineapple-topped bbq pork buns.

The glutinous rice steamed in the leaves (loa mai gai) was really mushy and there wasn't a lot of filling. The wrappers on the shrimp dumplings (ha gao) were again a bit mushy (steamed for too long?) and lacked the toothsome chew I look for. The curry cuttlefish was tasty, and the fried taro dumplings (woo gok) were crisp and greaseless, but the filling for the latter was a bit blander than I hoped.

We had a few other dim sum dishes that I'm forgetting, and a good noodle dish (crispy noodles covered in sauce, with beef and yao choy).

I also ate at Golden Szechuan in Richmond yesterday and the food was, on the whole, very good. We ordered way too much food for two people! He insisted we order a vegetable, so I picked the green beans--if I'm eating a vegetable, it better be fried. :wink: The Szechuan green beans were appropriately wrinkly and not terribly greasy considering they're deep-fried, then stir-fried again with aromatics (sometimes I order this dish at other restaurants and it comes drowning in a pool of oil). It didn't come with ground pork--apparently, the inclusion of pork is perhaps more authentic? The ma po do fu (spicy tofu with minced pork) was great--lots of chilli oil and black pepper. The la rou (smoked Chinese bacon, which is more like pure pork fat with the odd stripe of meat) was good, but not as good as the version we ate recently at Hu Nan. Hot and sour soup was also good, but not the best I've had. The pan-fried round pieces of dough that are rolled with Hoisin sauce and beef were delicious!

We'll definitely go back to Golden Szechuan! :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Popped into Michele Cake Shop on West Blvd. today for my weekly fix of Portuguese Custard Tarts and they were doing their annual fund raiser for Vancouver Children's Hospital. They were giving 100% of their sales today to the fund!!!

That is above and beyond as far as charity goes. Especially as it was heavily advertised in the Chinese media and the crowds sure proved that. They were even handing out samples of Cocoa Berry 70% Chocolate to the crowd. (I never would have thought they used that quality of chocolate.)

Anyone spending more than $10. got a card for 10% off all purchases until 2008. Smart marketing and a classy community booster.