• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Vancouver 2002 - 2006

mamster

Yeah I drive by it all the time...it's been there for awhile. I can't remember if I've eaten there--I'll ask my parents tomorrow. The restaurant upstairs has some super crazy expensive items!!

Didn't that upstairs restaurant close a while ago after that fire? I went there for dim sum a couple of times, and it was not bad. It was kinda weird - if I remember correctly there were a few "fusion" dim sum items (like stuff with strawberry as a garnish) & an attempt at plating dim sum items Western style. There was stuff like "pyramid fried rice" that was just fried rice (maybe with conpoy? I don't remember) in the shape of a pyramid :huh: There was a whole thing about it being a money-laundering business, remember? I could say more about it, but I'd rather not get in trouble with you-know-who :rolleyes:

Edited by chocomoo (log)

has anyone eaten at south ocean on garden ciity rd in richmond?

i pulled in there too late to get anything today but everything was in chinese and the waiter that was eating noodles took pitty on me and gave me the dim sum menu.  it looks like a place i would love to try ...the few chinese that were in there were looking at me funny.

i dont mind that...i expect it.

i would love to know more about it if anyone has eaten there

thanx

We actually have a family friend who works there making rice noodle rolls ("cheung fun"). I've been there a few times, and while it's good, it's not mind-blowingly good. Their rice noodle rolls are quite good though :)

There's a newish place called "Gar Lok" that opened a few months ago at the Richmond Sushi mall on... Akroyd Road, I think? Where Fortune City (? Fortune Garden?) used to be. It's the same dim sum place that was previously at Granville & 41st in Vancouver. The dim sum is really cheap ($2.75, I think?) & pretty good quality for cheap dim sum. When you compare it to regular (more expensive) dim sum though, it's just standard fare. The deep-fried squid is pretty good though - not rubbery, & lightly battered. Get 2 plates though, the portion is pretty small. Also, I'm not sure if they have it anymore, but they used to have these mini custard-filled pineapple buns that were SO GOOD - they were usually fresh out of the oven with crispy tops.

richmond sushi mall? wow ! i am so new here i have only been in the area about a week or so. i am still trying to find my way around. i will have to go find that place...whats in the sushi mall? that would be the mall of my dreams HA!

andi like what you said about ocean... i think food has to be mindblowing good...that what i look for.

if its not then i wont bother with it.

i cant wait to get to richmond public market...went by it yesterday but didnt have time to stop in.

GOD! i have been here a week or so and i am alread addicted to this place!

has anyone eaten at south ocean on garden ciity rd in richmond?

i pulled in there too late to get anything today but everything was in chinese and the waiter that was eating noodles took pitty on me and gave me the dim sum menu.  it looks like a place i would love to try ...the few chinese that were in there were looking at me funny.

i dont mind that...i expect it.

i would love to know more about it if anyone has eaten there

thanx

We actually have a family friend who works there making rice noodle rolls ("cheung fun"). I've been there a few times, and while it's good, it's not mind-blowingly good. Their rice noodle rolls are quite good though :)

I've only ever had dim sum at South Ocean. Nothing remarkably memorable (sorry, chocomoo, didn't have the cheung fun that day). On a dim sum scale of one to 10, I'd give it about a 6.5-7.

Didn't that upstairs restaurant close a while ago after that fire?  I went there for dim sum a couple of times, and it was not bad.  There was a whole thing about it being a money-laundering business, remember?

Yes on both counts. I don't remember the food, but I do remember the scuttlebutt! :rolleyes:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Went to Shiang Garden on No.3 Road today for dim sum with Mooshmouse. I have not been for a little while - but I remember liking it the first time I went.

The decor is over the top - double height ceilings with giant chandeliers - it looks like Versailles as redecorated by Chairman Mao. These places always look great when they are first built - but chinese restaurants are not so good at upkeep. So things are a little scruffy and worn around the edges.

The food was as good I remember. Mooshmouse took some pictures that I hope she posts. Overall the dim sum was very good - bright and fresh with contrasting textures and flavors.

We had a bbq pork bun that was the softest lightest bun ever. It had a sweet crackling glaze and it sold out before lunch was out (we were going to buy some for junior mouse).

Pea shoots in superior broth - the broth being chicken/yunan ham based - were fresh and vibrant tasting, but coated with a little too much oil. The broth itself was very clear and nicely flavored.

Beef Cheung Fun (or Rice Noodles) were nicely flavored with fresh cilantro and crunchy water chestnuts. The rice noodles themselves though were a little sticky.

Sticky rice came wrapped in an extremely thin egg crepe (or wash). Good but not outstanding. Beef Balls were very good - again nicely seasoned and with the flavors nicely lifted by the bite of more cilantro. There was also taro with scallops (tall towers of deep fried taro stuffed with lightly curried pork - rich), pork and chive dumplings and deep fried dumplings with pork filling.

Too much food to finish for about $55 tax and tip included.

richmond sushi mall?  wow !  i am so new here i have only been in the area about a week or so.  i am still trying to find my way around. i will have to go find that place...whats in the sushi mall?  that would be the mall of my dreams HA!

andi like what you said about ocean... i think food has to be mindblowing  good...that what i look for.

i cant wait to get to richmond public market...went by it yesterday but didnt have time to stop in.

Richmond Sushi is on Capstan Way - when you're on No. 3 Road (assuming you're coming in from Vancouver), turn left when you see Canadian Tire (it's the first traffic light you come to on No. 3 Road). Past Canadian Tire you'll see Gar Lok - that's the Richmond Sushi mall. There's a Meloty tea house there (Western-style tea house operated by Taiwanese people), a supermarket (Supermarket 2000, or something, is the name - I like Yaohan better, which, by the way, you can get to from behind Canadian Tire - it's the first street on the right when you're on Capstan) which is almost next to Richmond Sushi, a bubble tea place, a Taiwanese casual restaurant (I don't like the tea they serve though - it's barley tea), that dim sum place (Gar Lok), & at least a couple other restaurants. Plus a karaoke, hair salon, & other things thrown in. Richmond Sushi is an all-you-can-eat place though - back when it opened a few years ago, it was really popular. I've heard that the quality has declined (yes I know, the quality was probably not that good to start off with in the first place... :rolleyes: )

If you want unique dim sum, try Jade Seafood Restaurant on Alexandra Rd (just go through the car wash parking lot from Garden City) - it'll be on your right. They usually have some unusual dim sum items that make me go "Wow, I've never seen this before!" Dim sum items usually run from $3.75 - $5. If you go early (before 11 a.m. I think), dim sum is 10% off or something - a lot of dim sum places have deals like this. Some have different policies - in some places you have to get your bill before 11 (or 11:30), other places you just have to finish ordering before the cut-off time.

Edited to add: Oops, dammit! Thanks for correcting me, cayenne! Never trust me with directions :rolleyes: I don't know left from right :wacko:

Edited by chocomoo (log)

^Right next to Richmond Sushi is "Liu's", the casual Taiwanese restaurant. They have the best fried chicken ever. Amazingly crisp batter, incredibly moist meat. I used to eat there all the time. Almost every dish that comes out of the kitchen is the fried chicken. I've had some of their other items and they are OK/good, but nothing I'd recommend that highly. The fried chicken is DEE-LICIOUS! :wub: Last time I went was about a year ago, though, so I don't know if anything's changed.

^ Actually, the best Taiwanese fried chicken (you're talking about "yeem so gai", right?) I've ever had is at Cute Pearl House, on W. 42nd & W. Boulevard in Vancouver. They've even got a bit of crispy skin on it :wub: My friend & I would often stop in for a snack on our way home from UBC. I agree with you on the other items though, they're ok. I think that other place in the Vogue mall is better - I have no idea what the English name is, but the Chinese name translates to "Traditional".

richmond sushi mall?  wow !  i am so new here i have only been in the area about a week or so.  i am still trying to find my way around. i will have to go find that place...whats in the sushi mall?  that would be the mall of my dreams HA!

andi like what you said about ocean... i think food has to be mindblowing  good...that what i look for.

Richmond Sushi is on Akroyd Road - when you're on No. 3 Road (assuming you're coming in from Vancouver), turn left when you see Canadian Tire (it's the first traffic light you come to on No. 3 Road). Past Canadian Tire you'll see Gar Lok - that's the Richmond Sushi mall. There's a Meloty tea house there (Western-style tea house operated by Taiwanese people), a supermarket (Supermarket 2000, or something, is the name - I like Yaohan better, which, by the way, you can get to from behind Canadian Tire - it's the first street on the right when you're on Akroyd) which is almost next to Richmond Sushi, a bubble tea place, a Taiwanese casual restaurant (I don't like the tea they serve though - it's barley tea), that dim sum place (Gar Lok), & at least a couple other restaurants. Plus a karaoke, hair salon, & other things thrown in. Richmond Sushi is an all-you-can-eat place though - back when it opened a few years ago, it was really popular. I've heard that the quality has declined (yes I know, the quality was probably not that good to start off with in the first place... :rolleyes: )

If you want unique dim sum, try Jade Seafood Restaurant on Alexandra Rd (just go through the car wash parking lot from Garden City) - it'll be on your right. They usually have some unusual dim sum items that make me go "Wow, I've never seen this before!" Dim sum items usually run from $3.75 - $5. If you go early (before 11 a.m. I think), dim sum is 10% off or something - a lot of dim sum places have deals like this. Some have different policies - in some places you have to get your bill before 11 (or 11:30), other places you just have to finish ordering before the cut-off time.

Thanks for the heads up on that i will try to get over there. there are SO many places to go in richmond i just dont know where to go first. I STILL want to find vogue and try that place. and S. Wind is at the top of my list as well.

thanks for all the information....i look forward to eating my way thru richmond.

and THEN... i have to start in on the chinese bakeries!

oh my GOODNESS!

i have been eating take away now for 4 days and i am so addicted i cant help it.

what is it about chinese food? or asian food in general. i also love thai and vietnamese.

i have only been here for about 10 days or so but i am REAALLY getting into it!

thanks for your help!

richmond sushi mall?  wow !  i am so new here i have only been in the area about a week or so.  i am still trying to find my way around. i will have to go find that place...

Richmond Sushi is on Akroyd Road - when you're on No. 3 Road (assuming you're coming in from Vancouver), turn left when you see Canadian Tire (it's the first traffic light you come to on No. 3 Road). Past Canadian Tire you'll see Gar Lok - that's the Richmond Sushi mall. There's a Meloty tea house there (Western-style tea house operated by Taiwanese people), a supermarket (Supermarket 2000, or something, is the name - I like Yaohan better, which, by the way, you can get to from behind Canadian Tire - it's the first street on the right when you're on Akroyd) which is almost next to Richmond Sushi,

That's not Akroyd Road, it's Capstan Way. Richmond Sushi is off Captsan Way, backing onto the cross street of Sexsmith (rd? or way?) which runs parallel between Garden City Road and 3 Road. There is another street running between the Richmond Sushi mall, and the Canadian Tire, Yoahan complex (parallel to 3 Road, the name of which escapes me, but it continues on south, cross Cambie and there will be Aberdeen Centre, then Parker Place, on and on, till the area with all the asian restaurants, which if you turned left, you'd end up in the parking lot of the mall where the South Ocean restaurant and the other one upstairs of ill repute. :shock:

Akroyd Road is the left turn further south on No 3 Road, that runs between the Save On Foods mall which includes Bo Kong Vegetarian, White Spot, Boston Pizza; opposite on the north side of Akroyd is Neptune Seafood chinese restaurant, a sushi place beside Starbucks and I believe there is also the City something or other Asian grocery food market (where the theatres used to be long ago), and Chapters is also in that same square. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

^Right next to Richmond Sushi is "Liu's", the casual Taiwanese restaurant. They have the best fried chicken ever. Amazingly crisp batter, incredibly moist meat. I used to eat there all the time. Almost every dish that comes out of the kitchen is the fried chicken. I've had some of their other items and they are OK/good, but nothing I'd recommend that highly. The fried chicken is DEE-LICIOUS!  :wub: Last time I went was about a year ago, though, so I don't know if anything's changed.

Is that the one that has a batter that is similar to the type you find on fish and chips at a lot of places? (I don't know how to describe that batter, but that is what it reminded me of.)

Cheers!

ok...now another question. i LOVE good peking duck! where can i find it in richmond thats REALLY fabulous!

and that brings me to the next question.

Is peking duck just a BBQ duck thats rolled into the pancakes? or is it made a special way?

and the last question... who makes a REALLY fabulous tasty juicy BBQ duck.

i am talking strictly takeaway for the moment.

i am planning to go the richmond public market at some point.....would that be the place to find good duck?

thanx

^It's not as puffy as the batter I usually see on fried fish. It's thinner, really crunchy and crispy. And the sauce just makes it that much better. :)

Yes, that sauce is quite tasty. The chinese sausage they put over the rice next to it is wonderful as well. :wink:

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have thoroughly enjoyed the info and recommendations provided in this forum. We will be visiting in April '06 and would appreciate your top choices for Chinese food in Richmond. I believe Shanghai River and Shanghai Wind? will be top choices. We will also have one dim sum brunch. I have to go back and read the specific receommendations. However, can you respond with your top 3 favorites for a visit that will be basically 5 days in duration. (We will be staying downtown so we will try other cuisines there). This means that I may not get to Richmond for more than 2-3 days (if that, with all the things to take in).

If any members are planning a dinner/ lunch get together during the week of 4/10/06 to 4/14/06, we would love to join you. (We are looking towards a possible relocation from Long Island, NY to Vancouver).

The food descriptions have been enticing and great to read!

Thanks for your input!

Wow, I just saw the pictures Canucklehead took of the food he ate or saw in HK. Fantastic. Mouthwatering! Now I want to go back to visit HK (have not been back since I was a young child). Just referred my friend to your post since she is returning to HK in a couple of days.

Ling, the pictures of your home cooked meal for your boyfirend were impressive indeed. You can train to be a chef! I second the opinion that the venison dish looked really excellent. Your lucky boyfriend. I hope he was appreciative!

I just had to comment on both your wonderful posts. Great pictures!

P.S. The posts can be found in "Truth be told, where have you eaten recently?".

Thanks for sharing.

(Sorry, Ling, I meant the pheasant dish. Did you go by recipes in the 2 cookbooks you referred to? Can you just repeat them here? Also, the recipe for the apple crumb pie. The crust looks really good!)

Edited by rlr222 (log)

Wow, I just saw the pictures Canucklehead took of the food he ate or saw in HK.  Fantastic.  Mouthwatering!  Now I want to go back to visit HK (have not been back since I was a young child). Just referred my friend to your post since she is returning to HK in a couple of days.

Ling, the pictures of your home cooked meal for your boyfirend were impressive indeed.  You can train to be a chef!  I second the opinion that the venison dish looked really excellent.  Your lucky boyfriend. I hope he was appreciative!

I just had to comment on both your wonderful posts.  Great pictures!

P.S.  The posts can be found in "Truth be told, where have you eaten recently?".

Thanks for sharing.

(Sorry, Ling, I meant the pheasant dish.  Did you go by recipes in the 2 cookbooks you referred to?  Can you just repeat them here?  Also, the recipe for the apple crumb pie.  The crust looks really good!)

Thanks for the nice words - really I was trying justify all the food I was eating in HK as 'research' for egullet.

Either Shanghai Wind or River are good choices - but for lunch only. Dinner is not so good for some reason - Shanghai River specializes in dim sum type specialties. Remember to order the Soup Buns.

If you are downtown - you may want to check out Kirin on Cambie for dim sum - which I think is very good. However - they don't have carts and you order a la cart. If you like the cart thing - check out Sun Sui Wah on Main - though I don't think the quality is nearly as good.

For dinner - go to Sea Harbour in Richmond and try the Crab with Pumpkin, Pork w/ Chaypote, Hand Ripped (Shredded) Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork, and Tung Bo Pork are all stand outs.

Also for dinner - I have heard decent things about Gingeri at Landsdowne Mall. Has anyone else been yet. I did a walk by and it looked like a standard chinese dim sum place (though it was very busy - even on a weekday). I am going to do some recon.

Also for dinner - I have heard decent things about Gingeri at Landsdowne Mall.  Has anyone else been yet.  I did a walk by and it looked like a standard chinese dim sum place (though it was very busy - even on a weekday).  I am going to do some recon.

I have been to Gingeri twice-both times for dim sum. The food is very good, but price-wise - IT IS EXPENSIVE! I don't remember how much the dishes were (because I only go for dimsum with my family, and I never have to pay), but I remember dimsum for 7 people was over $200. We didn't even eat a whole lot.

I think most of the asian families consider it a "higher class" restaurant, without the hustle and bustle of the carts?

I went for early dim sum (10 a.m.) at Jade Seafood with my family last Saturday. Special items this time (they have a menu that changes every month, I think) included deep-fried minced garlic "ha gow" (shrimp dumplings); deep-fried something else (like spring rolls, but with the same "skin" as the dumplings) filled with shrimp, century egg, & pickled ginger (Japanese "gari"); clay pot rice with diced octopus & minced marinated fatty pork; and steamed sesame-filled buns.

The shrimp dumplings are always pretty good, with crisp shrimp, small bits of pork fat, & crunchy bits of bamboo shoot. The "skin" was just ok though, I've had better, namely at the old President (it changed hands a while ago), and I like more sesame oil in the filling.

The deep-fried "spring roll" was really good. I loved the contrasting textures: the crunchiness of the deep-fried skin, crispness of the shrimp, to the creaminess of the century egg made for a wonderful dim sum item. I didn't get any ginger in my half of the roll, which was great, because I don't like ginger.

The clay pot rice was quite good - the octopus was so soft, & the pork fat had melted into the rice :wub: AND, the rice was the way it's supposed to be - browned & crispy at the edges :wub:

Not a lot of places have steamed sesame buns on their menu (at most less than 5 places). I used to like Kirin Mandarin's better, but since the chefs have left Kirin Mandarin (unconfirmed, but the food's not as good), I haven't had a favourite place for steamed sesame buns. Kirin Mandarin's has a little piece of duck egg yolk in the centre, which is a nice touch. Jade's buns are liquidy in the middle, which I'm not used to, but it's different in a good way.

I've had dim sum at Gingeri before too, but I also don't remember what we ate. I also went to a wedding banquet there. I don't remember what I ate then either. :huh: It's been a while. :rolleyes:

My equally gluttonous friend and I want to have an entire Peking duck (with mini crepe things, and then the meat with the lettuce wraps) for ourselves at dinner. Which restaurant in Richmond or Vancouver do you all think serves the best? And what can we expect to pay? (Being "kids", our parents have always taken care of the bill.)

I recently discovered a little family owned hunanese place, which I believe is one of the undiscovered gems in the area. The beef with preserved chili, although not one of their better dishes, has the distinction of being the first dish in Vancouver that has actually been spicy enough to affect me.

Check out our review, which I believe is the finest our little website has put out yet. - Hu Nan Chinese Restaurant

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

My equally gluttonous friend and I want to have an entire Peking duck (with mini crepe things, and then the meat with the lettuce wraps) for ourselves at dinner. Which restaurant in Richmond or Vancouver do you all think serves the best? And what can we expect to pay? (Being "kids", our parents have always taken care of the bill.)

now THAT sounds like my kinda feast! i anxiously await the suggestioins about to pour in from the pros. :biggrin:

Quentina

I think Fortune Garden (right beside Cru and Memphis Blues) on Broadway has an ongoing Peking Duck Special - but it is only one course (the skin - with a lot of meat) and crepes. Can' t remember the cost.

Another place you could try is Koon Bo on 41 and Fraser - they do have great BBQ duck and Sqaub - and I think they have a good Peking duck.

One per person - that's the Ling we know and fear.

Went for dim sum at the Kirin Richmond branch on Saturday, and I was quite impressed. Of the dishes we ordered, the standouts were:

* nor mai fan (glutenous rice) with dried scallops - super generous serving and beautifully presented, the one dish I really wish I had the camera for. There were 3 of us but it was enough for 6 - or 2 if Ling is 1.

* scallop and asparagus rice roll (cheung fun) - they had a bunch of unusual rice rolls to go along with the standard beef, shrimp and BBQ pork. Keeps it interesting.

* deep fried lotus root cake - forget tofurkey or whatever the frack, this is as close to meat as I've ever tasted for a vegetarian dish. I was really impressed, delicious with cilantro and minced garlic mixed in.

* pan fried rice rolls - stood out just because 1. they were served full-length (usually they are cut smaller, I guess to help them survive the stir-fry process) and 2. half the plate was dressed with XO sauce, giving them an interestingly spicy twist.

Other dishes we got included standards such as har gow, beef balls, pork and shrimp paste wrapped in bean curd, egg custard tarts, and gluten balls with black sesame paste. One of the things I really like about the menu is that it is called something like the "chef's monthly specials", so in other words they change it regularly.

Also of note, they have a Chinese New Year menu out - $498 for the "cheap" table of 10 or $788 for the supersized (not really; you get the extra special good stuff). I'd post it but that would require more typing. If you are interested, you can go to their contact info page HERE.