• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spirits as rock stars

Over in the Drinks topic, Rafa asked "But what happened to your love for Wray & Nephew White Overproof, the Keith Moon of rums?"

Which got me thinking: what other personalities could we link with our favourite (or not) drinks or ingredients?

Starter for 10: Fernet Branca, the Ozzy Osborne of bitters.

Discuss.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Tom Waits for no man. 

Lou Reed is Old Grand Dad 114, pretty plainly. 

Paul McCartney is Pimm's.

Merzbow is a big slug of Xocolatl bitters, room temperature, sipped slowly.

Joanna Newsom is mirabelle eau de vie. 

Terry Jacks is the spirit in the sky.

Sufjan Stevens is the Holy Spirit. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Macallan would be the John Mayer of scotches.  Good, but boring.

Sean Connery would be Clynlish: Smooth with rugged edges.

You overrate John Mayer. He's more like a perfectly decent mid-shelf blend, technically quite well-made if undistinguished, that suddenly got a garish, annoying ad campaign and irritating fans.

You get Sean Connery exactly right, however. And anyone who can pull off his outfit from Zardoz has at least a little bit of rockstar in him.

Neil Young is Lot 40.

Katy Perry is marshmallow vodka.

Everclear - the Barry Manilow of grain spirits.

Certainly a much better choice than this one

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Cabo Wabo: the David Lee Roth of tequilas.

Even here you come up behind, Sammy.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

I don't feel any great urge to restrict this to rock stars, so I'm all for Sean Connery (Rafa: Zardoz?  You're not THAT old ...).

Punt e Mes = Sofia Loren.  Well, I'm sure she'd like to be thought of as smooth, sweet and a little spicy.  Wouldn't we all?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Amaro Sibila as James Ellroy. Dark. Bitter. Complex. Deliberately offensive to a whole lot of people. And just that little bit sweet.

Monte Alban mezcal--the cheap shite with the worm--as Cormac McCarthy. Mouth-filling seediness. Subtle as Judge Holden.

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

You overrate John Mayer. He's more like a perfectly decent mid-shelf blend, technically quite well-made if undistinguished, that suddenly got a garish, annoying ad campaign and irritating fans.

Oh, Chivas 12....

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd