• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

15th Anniversary trip to NYC – Looking for a special meal

Mrs Meshugana and I will be spending a week in mid-July to celebrate 15 years. We've got lots of little cafe's and sight-seeing booked (my father was from Queens, but this will be my first time to the city, excepting JFK layovers).

We'd love to experience a fine chef's tasting menu, we enjoy them occasionally in our region (the west). Our budget will probably be around $100-$150 per person.

I'd love to hit Per Se, but of course that's far outside our budget at the moment.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

I'll ask a few questions that are asked on another board when someone asks the same thing as you...

Is that your budget before or after tax and tip? And $100 - $150 is a broad range; can you be more specific?

What types of food do you like?

Jean-Georges is probably one of the most reasonable tasting menus on the planet.  At lunch, especially, it's $39 for 2 courses, and $19 for each additional course. Dinner is slightly different; they do a 3-course prix fixe for $118.

Le Bernardin - 3 course lunch is $76; 4-course dinner is $135. We loved our anniversary dinner there this year.  Here's my blog post about that meal.

Gramercy Tavern's lunch tasting is $58. Dinner is a 3-course menu for $92, or a tasting for $120.  Still great food after all these years.

Then there are set menu places like Contra, which has been very well received.  It's around $60 for their 5-course menu.

Or another favorite, because Dave Santos is just a fine chef/cook, is Louro.  On Monday nights (if you're here on a Monday), they often do a Nossa Mesa supper club. For example, May 19th is pig & uni, and it's $75 a person. It's also bring your own wine and beer, which makes it an outstanding value.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the first 3; As a matter of fact, you'll have to wear a jacket at Le Bernardin.  GT is not quite as fancy; Danny Meyer casual fancy.

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thank you so much for the tips - that gives me something to look into.

My budget # of 100-150 was before tip & tax - not a hard limit just something to set the range.

Also, neither of us drink alcohol, so that saves (quite) a few pennies at dinner time.

Thanks again. Gramercy and Contra both intrigue me, for different reasons.... decisions, decisions...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Contra is quite "modern," whatever that means.   

Wells reviewed it a month or two ago in the Times.

Tough choice.  Do Contra for dinner and GT or JG for lunch - that'll fall within your budget  :smile:  .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Mitch undoubtedly knows way more about NYC dining than Tom Sietsema, the food critic for The Washington Post who'll occasionally mention restaurants in other cities, but fwiw, in today's chat, he mentioned Hearth, which offers a seven-course tasting menu for $86/pp. Any opinion about the place, Mitch?

He also highly recommended Racines, but I don't see a tasting menu.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Agree with Mitch. Hearth is not a special occasion restaurant. His recommendations will definitely give you what you're looking for.

I think 11 Madison Park is even better than any of them, but is definitely above your budget… still, with no alcohol, maybe you could make it work? Incredibly beautiful room as well. And for the money - a lot more food.

• Like 1

I don't think you'll leave any of those places hungry.

11 Mad is one of my faves - but for sitting and dining at the bar. And really - bettter than Le B - no way (it's also $225 and you're there for many hours).

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Mitch - reasonable people may choose to disagree. But my dining companions and I at Le Bernardin last week decided to order double appetizers and double mid-courses in order to get enough food. That raised the price substantially above 11 Madison.

For a special occasion, the room at Le B is in a rather blah '90s building, lavishly decorated but without much taste. At least the seating is comfortable. Nonetheless at 11 Mad you're sitting in spectacular Art Deco surroundings.

The food at Le Bernardin was excellent of course. And if the OP is specifically searching for seafood then that should probably be the choice.