• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixing Glasses

Hassouni

There isn't a mixing glass thread, so what the hell:

I've seen several reviews of various brands of yarai-pattern mixing glasses which state that the bottom often shears right off due to temperature shock. Umamimart states that their seamless yarai glass is hand-blown and not susceptible to this, but it only holds a pint. CK has three 800mL extra large Japanese glasses - does anybody know anything about those?

(By the way, for home use I'll continue to use a shaker tin, but for commercial use, using a glass is a much better show - I'm thinking pre-chill the glasses with some ice water)

I'd hate to have my bottom drop off any time, not just when mixing a drink.  But maybe that's just me ...

I have a 500ml Yarai from CK and rather wish I'd got a larger one so I can do two drinks at once.  The smaller one has done great service for six months or more; it's a rare night it doesn't get used for at least two separate drinks.

I keep ours in the fridge all day so it's nice and cold when I need it, so I can't see temperature shock being much of an issue.  My favourite bar keeps their collection of mixing glasses in the chiller too.  Maybe that's the secret.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Has anyone used pyrex beakers? I'm thinking of a 500ml or greater low form beaker.  I've used erhlenmeyer flasks to decant wine and spirits and hold syrups etc. and thought the beaker would be a good inexpensive failry sturdy stand in for the Yarai mixing glass

There isn't a mixing glass thread, so what the hell:

I've seen several reviews of various brands of yarai-pattern mixing glasses which state that the bottom often shears right off due to temperature shock. Umamimart states that their seamless yarai glass is hand-blown and not susceptible to this, but it only holds a pint. CK has three 800mL extra large Japanese glasses - does anybody know anything about those?

(By the way, for home use I'll continue to use a shaker tin, but for commercial use, using a glass is a much better show - I'm thinking pre-chill the glasses with some ice water)

Didn't they state on the website that they are trying to work on the shearing problem, which appears to be related to how much use the glass gets in a commercial environment?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have umamimart's seamless hand blown yarai and it is functional as well as very pretty.  Plus, the yarai fills in as an attractive zombie vessel for a change up from a hiball glass...but sadly, as you say, it holds only about a pint.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

CK has three 800mL extra large Japanese glasses - does anybody know anything about those?

I've seen those in person and they look great (the Mixing Glass has them in stock). If I did not already have two small ones, that's what I would get.

Regarding temperature shock, I've seen a few people complain on Chanticleer. I believe CK may have changed supplier since then. Quality seems to be somewhat inconsistent with CK though. I got two seamless Yarai from them, the first one from a couple of years ago was just perfect (it broke but it was my fault); the one I got last year has yellowish glass, a few bubbles, and the shape is not as elegant. I would recommend seeing them before choosing one.

Another side note - from what I can tell most bars used the regular Yarai, not the seamless.

Has anyone used pyrex beakers? I'm thinking of a 500ml or greater low form beaker.  I've used erhlenmeyer flasks to decant wine and spirits and hold syrups etc. and thought the beaker would be a good inexpensive failry sturdy stand in for the Yarai mixing glass

These are fine. I've seen them used in bars too. But they are lightweight which means that you may have to hold them in place while you stir your cocktail so they don't dance around on the counter, whereas the Japanese mixing glasses are heavier, with some incorporating a weighted base.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw my first ever yarai glasses in person, both at various nice bars in NY and at the CK showroom, such as it is (also, sort of nuts that I haven't seen any in use at DC bars when they were ubiquitous in NY). I didn't realize how tiny they are. Meanwhile their XL yarai/asanoha/etc glasses are large to the point of seeming cumbersome, but....

...I saw a prototype tall Japanese-style mixing glass at CK, meant to hold two cocktails' worth, but still fit comfortably in the hand. It's no stouter than the standard glass, but several inches taller. It looks really promising. They said it'll be coming online in 6 weeks or so.

PS, as FP noted, all the bars I went to seemed to be using the seamed versions.