• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-citrus cocktails

Tzatziki

I'm looking to expand my knowledge/palate of cocktails without citrus in them. I've explored Manhattan variations to death (mostly because they're my favorite), but I've had few gin/rum/tequilla drinks that are citrus-less, nor whiskey drinks without vermouth. My bar has pretty much all the base spirits (except for vodka), plus the following:

- Carpano Antica

- Punt e Mes

- Cointreau

- Luxardo

- Cherry Heering

- Green Chartreuse

- Benedictine

- Creme de Cassis

- St Germain

- Falernum

I'm not opposed to adding to this collection, but working within it would be nice as well!

Define 'pretty much all the base spirits.'. The way some of the cocktail nerds might define these maybe differs from how someone ... normal might. Do you have mezcal? What kind of rums do you have? What sort of gins? Etc.

Anyway. Try a Manhattan. 2:1 of either the Carpano or Punt e Mes and some rye. Plus a dash of bitters. If you don't have any rye in your collection you could use bourbon. Go for a bourbon that's heavy in wheat or rye. Check out the related Hanky Panky, too. Similar drink: gin instead of rye whiskey.

If you had Campari you could make a Negroni. Equal parts Campari plus Punt Mes and gin. A few worthy variations. Your choice of sweet vermouths suggests you'll like Campari.

I assume you have a bottle of bitters on hand. If you don't, drop everything and go out and get a bottle of Angostura. Without a bottle of bitters you're very limited. Peychaud's, orange bitters, etc are all lovely--and worthy purchases--but if you have no bitters at all start with Angostura.

The Old Fashioned. Yeah, I know, lemon twist ... but you can live without it. If you have a decent collection of base spirits and bitters you can spin variations from this. Base an OF on gin, rum, tequila, scotch or damn near anything else in addition to the standard rye.

It's a bit of a monster but I also like the Vieux Carre. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I thoroughly agree with Chris's recommendations. Although I think a Negroni is better with an orange twist ...

Tzatziki, what's your aversion to citrus? Is it absolute, or is a twist of zest fine? If the latter, the world of craft cocktails is wide open.

The vodka + juice stuff? Forget it.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

spirits:

- rums (cana 4y, pyrat xo, barbancourt 5*)

- whiskies (four roses, rittenhouse, glenfiddich 18, balvenie 12, laphroaig quarter cask)

- gins (beefeater, hendricks)

- tequilas (espolon reposado, herradura anejo)

- mezcal (del maguey)

bitters: ango, peychaud, orange (fee, regans), peach, rhubarb, celery, grapefruit, chocolate

I'm definitely not averse to zest - I'm just not as much a fan of the sourness/acidity. All of my favorite craft cocktails I've had when I'm out and about have been whiskey-forward and bitter or herbal: Manhattans, Brooklyns, Red Hooks, Greenpoints, Vieux Carres, etc. What are some good cocktails with similar profiles (spirit-foward, bitter/herbal) based around rum, gin, or tequila?

Tabard

1 1/2 oz. reposado tequila
1/2 oz. Amontillado sherry
1/2 oz. Drambuie
Dash of orange bitters

Stir, Up, Orange Twist, Fresh Thyme sprig.

You could sub Benedictine.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

I'm definitely not averse to zest - I'm just not as much a fan of the sourness/acidity. All of my favorite craft cocktails I've had when I'm out and about have been whiskey-forward and bitter or herbal: Manhattans, Brooklyns, Red Hooks, Greenpoints, Vieux Carres, etc. What are some good cocktails with similar profiles (spirit-foward, bitter/herbal) based around rum, gin, or tequila?

Have you visited Dan's Kindred Cocktails yet?  This is such an excellent cocktail database (not only in content, but in functionality), that I no longer even bother with any of the others.  You'll find a lot of cocktails of the type you describe there, and once you've looked up one, check out the list of similar cocktails at the bottom of the page, and you'll soon be off on a journey of discovery.

Edited by brinza (log)
  • Like 1

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Negroni, Boulevardier, Vieux Carré, Sazerac, Tombstone, any "Improved" Cocktail, Martinez all immediately jump to mind.

Also play around with Dave Wondrich's "aromatic cocktail" formula: 2 parts spirit, 1 part modifier, dash or two of bitters (the Manhattan is the classic in this style)

What are some good cocktails with similar profiles (spirit-foward, bitter/herbal) based around rum, gin, or tequila?

With rum - Island Old Fashioned (aged rum, falernum, canne syrup, Angostura bitters),  Sam Ross' Chet Baker and Country Life No. 2

With gin - as mentioned above, the Martinez is an obvious starting point; Negroni although you currently don't have any Campari

With tequila - Phil Ward's Oaxaca Old Fashioned and Tequila Gumption, Jonny Raglin's Nouveau Carre, Michael Madrusan's Sea Way

If you are looking for more ideas, the Bartender's Choice app, the PDT Cocktail book, or the beta cocktail book (if feeling adventurous) are good sources. You could also consider acquiring a few new things such as Cynar, Fernet, or Campari to expand your options in the brown bitter stirred category.

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails  ... check out the list of similar cocktails at the bottom of the page, and you'll soon be off on a journey of discovery.

These cocktail recommendations are based upon knowledge of the flavor profile of the ingredients. This feature was the inspiration for the "kindred" in the name. It also knows how ingredients are categorized, so that a search for cocktails with "whiskey" will return cocktails with "scotch", "bourbon", "rye", etc, even though whiskey doesn't appear in the ingredient name. :biggrin:

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community