• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

For those who did not order the unit, here is the email we got from Anova with some information about the unit

2. What devices will the Precision Cooker work with? We’re going to deliver an SDK that will allow developers to develop apps for both Android and iOS devices.

We’re primarily going to rely on our developer community to develop apps for the Precision Cooker, but we’re also working on a basic app that will be available for both Android and iOS devices.

6. Will the precision cooker work in Australia and the UK? Yes. We’re providing full support for 220V and 240V units. International Units will be compatible 220V-240V.

8. Does the unit have a warranty? Yes! The Precision Cooker will have a one-year parts and labor warranty. If there is a problem with the unit, we will cover parts and labor, and will return shipment. Please note, however, the Hacker Special beta units do not come with a warranty.

Other questions are mostly about shipping so i did not include them

What interests me the most is: did they change the "hardware" a lot. Because the previous unit was great in performacne. I hope the lower retail price is just because of the plastic casing and no touch screen, the rest was great just the way it was...

Edited by pmilas (log)

What interests me the most is: did they change the "hardware" a lot. Because the previous unit was great in performacne. I hope the lower retail price is just because of the plastic casing and no touch screen, the rest was great just the way it was...

Also, an 800W heater instead of a 1000W from the v1 apparently. From the looks of the picture, they didn't fix the flawed impeller design which, from even the slightest bending of the stem, would cause the impeller to hit the housing and cause a loud rattling.

PS: I am a guy.

one thing about Anova, they seem to pay attention and are think a bit outside the box

the 2 for 229 is an example.   a few here were disappointed not getting in on the 99 $$

they could hardly add more of those as people were jumping in on each slightly higher price would have been even more

P.O.'d

so Kudos there way.  who's perfect, except Us ?

the second would make a nice gift to someone on the Fence.

Christmas ?  Channuka ?  etc  

a spare or a second Bath for Veg ?

like the name  Precision Cooking too.

an extra Kudos there  Anova !

PS:

you can get 2 for 229, 2 for 239 or 2 for 249

as far as i can see these are identical offers.

sooooo ......   those picking 239 or 249  ( there are a few ) over 229  ( plenty of slots left ) are 

..............   ??

from even the slightest bending of the stem, would cause the impeller to hit the housing and cause a loud rattling.

how'd you manage to bend the impeller shaft? the ones on mine are mighty sturdy. 

the only times I've had a rattling was when I'd turned it off for a few minutes, then turned it back on, and I think thermal issues were at play, that only happened a couple times.

Regarding the phone connectivity ... has anybody picked up if it's two-way? Specifically, while it's cooking is it reporting to the phone what the actual water temp is?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

how'd you manage to bend the impeller shaft? the ones on mine are mighty sturdy. 

the only times I've had a rattling was when I'd turned it off for a few minutes, then turned it back on, and I think thermal issues were at play, that only happened a couple times.

The stem is sturdy, but there's play in the stainless steel skirt (at least in mine)..it'll rub and rattle if the skirt is skewed a bit.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Sure, but there's maybe 3mm of play over a 10cm shaft, meaning a bending of less than 2 degrees is enough to damage it.

PS: I am a guy.

I just bought 2, I hope I didn't make a mistake, I have been trying to decide between this and the polyscience, this is 3 times less expensive than the polyscience, which is great, but I hope that doesn't mean the quality isn't as good. Has anyone compared the $400 polyscience to one of these? Is there a difference in quality? I have a Vitamix and an oyster blender, the oyster is great, but it doesn't purée like a Vitamix, can a similar comparison be made here with the anova and the $400 polyscience? Thanks in advance, I'm new to this, and have been wanting a sous vide machine for 2 years now. In MCAH they recommend the polyscience and the sous vide supreme. The supreme is non circulating, so I don't want to buy something that doesn't evenly circulate the water, the only option left was the ps. I can't afford to spend $800 on the professional level one, but I can afford $400 for the semi professional one. I read a review on amazon that the $400 ps started a fire in someones home. I have a baby that review scared me enough to research other circulators and I stumbled upon some great reviews for anova. I came here and found this and I'm so grateful I did, just would like to hear from someone who has had the honor of working with both the ps and anova

When Modernist Cuisine at Home was released those two were the only game in town: since then the market has expanded greatly. I've got the original Anova and it works perfectly: there's a limit to how well you can heat up and stir water, after all! If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading the We Test the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous-Vide Circulators at Serious Eats to give you an idea of how all these devices differ from one another. I think the big wildcard with this new one is how well the Bluetooth works and how buggy the software turns out to be.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

When Modernist Cuisine at Home was released those two were the only game in town: since then the market has expanded greatly. I've got the original Anova and it works perfectly: there's a limit to how well you can heat up and stir water, after all! If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading the We Test the Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku Sous-Vide Circulators at Serious Eats to give you an idea of how all these devices differ from one another. I think the big wildcard with this new one is how well the Bluetooth works and how buggy the software turns out to be.

Didn't Anna N also do a comparison in one of the discussions here on eG?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Didn't Anna N also do a comparison in one of the discussions here on eG?

I did compare the Anova with the Nomiku but the poster is asking about Polyscience units and those are outside my experience.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks in advance, I'm new to this, and have been wanting a sous vide machine for 2 years now. In MCAH they recommend the polyscience and the sous vide supreme. The supreme is non circulating, so I don't want to buy something that doesn't evenly circulate the water, the only option left was the ps.

IMHO, your distrust of non-circulators is misplaced.  I have two, an Auber (which I use with a 6 qt crock-pot) and an SVS.  I also have a 1.1 Anova.  I use the former more, as they're efficient and totally quiet.  The only place where I prefer the Anova is short cooks.  And the SVS works fine for those as well.

IMHO, your distrust of non-circulators is misplaced.  I have two, an Auber (which I use with a 6 qt crock-pot) and an SVS.  I also have a 1.1 Anova.  I use the former more, as they're efficient and totally quiet.  The only place where I prefer the Anova is short cooks.  And the SVS works fine for those as well.

I have the SVS and anova and I agree.  The only disadvantage I can see of SVS is size.  Its a bulky thing and if space is an issue, that might be a deal breaker. Its accurate, silent, and has no moving parts. I keep it in the cellar.

I do think that a circulating SV cooker can get the internal temperature of cold large food quicker, just like a convection oven can cook food faster.

But once temperature is reached, it would not make much difference, assuming the insulation of the cooker is good.

dcarch

"""   once temperature is reached, it would not make much difference, assuming the insulation of the cooker is good.  """

exactly right.

there are two minor possible exceptions:

eggs, and fish such as Salmon where the both the temp and time at that temp may be important for the final result.

usually a little more time doesnt make a noticeable difference.  here it might w/o water circulation.

the egg yolk is very fussy it you want it  'custard like but creamy'  and Salmon on the rare side the same, but not at much.

those are the only two things i can think of that real water circulation helps you get exactly what you want.

easier to not screw up w a circulator here.   then again, you might not screw up by paying a bit more attention to these types of 

"Precision cooking"

I have the SVS and anova and I agree.  The only disadvantage I can see of SVS is size.  Its a bulky thing and if space is an issue, that might be a deal breaker. Its accurate, silent, and has no moving parts. I keep it in the cellar.

I think this is omitting the cost and availability factor: when it was released the Sous Vide Supreme was literally the only low-cost (readily-available non-hack) home sous vide machine. I think that its $479 retail price, and even $365 (current) Amazon.com price is really hard to justify now that we've got high-quality immersion circulators for $200 (the Anova Rev 1), $300 (the Nomiku), or $400 (the PolyScience). And now we've got the new Anova that will retail for even less. So you're paying double the money for... what, exactly? A quieter device? That seems like a stretch to me.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

As Above ...

Plus the circulators allow Very Large Batch Work, if you chose to use insulated coolers, of various sizes.

the SVS is for those who prefer One Stop Shopping, which is always available.  Usually at a premium.

So you're paying double the money for... what, exactly? A quieter device? That seems like a stretch to me.

Well, it's a quieter device and a high-quality cooking vessel. 

I was one of the original owners of the SVS; interviewed by the Times, etc.  My biggest issue with the SVS at this current point in time, is that it weighs a lot when it's full, and since I tore up my shoulder and biceps, I can't lift it.  Now that's where the Anova that's been ordered will take it to the cleaners. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?