• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pmilas

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

Lighter, yes, but not smaller.  And not lighter if you factor in the weight of the circulator.  The point is that when folks speak of the Anova being easier to store, they're generally leaving the box out of the equation.

More importantly, one of my reasons for preferring the SVS is that it's better suited to leaving out, i.e., not stored.  As I said earlier, an appliance ready at hand is more likely to be used.  And the object of the exercise, of course, is to use the darned thing, not just to have it.

Again, I'm not saying the SVS is the right answer for everyone.  Nor am I knocking the Anova (I have one and like it).

• Like 1

I'm always curious as to how one concludes that the Anova is easier to store than the SVS. Unless you are attaching it to thin air or are lucky enough to have a stock pot that can double as a container, you still have to store a cooler or a Cambro (or similar) container. Where's the space saving?

I just stand the Anova up, in a deep slide-out pot drawer.  Takes up very little space this way.

I nest the Cambros and store them in a cabinet.  These double as food prep/storage containers -- so I need to store those with or without the Anova.

Lighter, yes, but not smaller.  And not lighter if you factor in the weight of the circulator.  The point is that when folks speak of the Anova being easier to store, they're generally leaving the box out of the equation.

More importantly, one of my reasons for preferring the SVS is that it's better suited to leaving out, i.e., not stored.  As I said earlier, an appliance ready at hand is more likely to be used.  And the object of the exercise, of course, is to use the darned thing, not just to have it.

Again, I'm not saying the SVS is the right answer for everyone.  Nor am I knocking the Anova (I have one and like it).

um.. *scratching head* not wanting to be mr disagreeable, but...

11x11x8 *is* smaller than 11x11x14 last I checked, and the 5lbs of the anova and 2.3lbs of the polycarb container is almost half of the 13lbs of the svs.

plus, if I have more to cook, I can just get a bigger container.

as to being out and ready, I have to admit since i got my two in january, they've been on the counter... ready to go.

I'm always curious as to how one concludes that the Anova is easier to store than the SVS. Unless you are attaching it to thin air or are lucky enough to have a stock pot that can double as a container, you still have to store a cooler or a Cambro (or similar) container. Where's the space saving?

For my container I use a stockpot that is near at hand anyway.  The Anova itself takes very little space on my kitchen cart, not enough room to mention.  Plus it is always in arm's reach.

true.

plus it's MUCH easier to rinse a cambro (it goes completely in the sink) and store it away (it's light).

The Anova itself goes away in very little space, even in its box.

the SVS has to basically sit out on the counter all the time.

I can see how the SVS would be convenient for someone willing to dedicate counter space to another appliance. At least as far as storage goes. It's going to be a lot harder than a cambro to fill and clean.

I'm using the v1 Anova, which is very small. It fits on a low shelf right next to my 11x11 polycarbonate container. I use that container of the time. It stows with its lid, a piece of reflectix cut to fit, and an SVS rack (which fits perfectly with the anova). I've also got a 30qt cooler cut to fit the circulator. That gets used less often, so I store it away from the kitchen.

One thing I like about this setup is that it would be trivially easy to pack it all and bring to someone else's house, or to an event space. It's a great portable solution. 

Guest Caren Palevitz

In MCAH they recommend the polyscience and the sous vide supreme. The supreme is non circulating, so I don't want to buy something that doesn't evenly circulate the water, the only option left was the ps. I can't afford to spend $800 on the professional level one, but I can afford $400 for the semi professional one. I read a review on amazon that the $400 ps started a fire in someones home. 

We were very saddened to hear of that incident as well. We are actually planning on updating some of our recommendations in the coming months as part of a new gear guide for our site. We'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as we're done with the project. 

If I were a marketer, I might try introducing a phrase like "Low and Slow, Hands-Free Cooking" to appeal to the home market.  

Sounds a lot like a crock pot (which I have heard described as a slow cooker).

ETA:  Whoops!  I saw that was already mentioned ....

Edited by Shel_B (log)

if you are "in" on the kickstarter deals you have been getting email updates.

they are adding features and the $$$ rise.  for an additional 100 K they items will have a stainless steel skirt.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

seems they should do that one way or another.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Good point! But if the Anova 2 has the ability to do it, why bother buying yet another thing for the kitchen?   :laugh:  

For the same reason i wouldn't use a $200 gyuto to open my mail, but if you use yours that way, well, OK :-P

if you are "in" on the kickstarter deals you have been getting email updates.

they are adding features and the $$$ rise.  for an additional 100 K they items will have a stainless steel skirt.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip

seems they should do that one way or another.

I may join the bandwagon if I'm not too late by the time I make up my mind. Can one sign up for these emails without plunking down the money, or...?

I may join the bandwagon if I'm not too late by the time I make up my mind. Can one sign up for these emails without plunking down the money, or...?

Jeff, you can either plunk down money and then take it back before June 17, or you can just watch the update page at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/anova/anova-precision-cooker-cook-sous-vide-with-your-ip/posts

Of course, depending on how you define "too late" you may have already passed that deadline... All the cheap pledge levels have been sold out for a while.

Of course if they hit the stretch goal that will make them stainless - then the cost will go up to $179 so picking them up for $159 with free shipping is still a deal.  

esp. 220 v World Wide !

76 K + to go.

that's around 475 more 'bets' at 160

(  bet they make it in SS anyway. )

Edited by rotuts (log)

esp. 220 v World Wide !

76 K + to go.

that's around 475 more 'bets' at 160

( bet they make it in SS anyway. )

I bet they do too but I did help by changing my commitment to two units. Figured I'd give one to one of my kids

if this thread is being followed by the Anova team, im wondering if in addition to WiFi iPhone apps there might be some

iPad WiFi apps as well.

if this thread is being followed by the Anova team, im wondering if in addition to WiFi iPhone apps there might be some

iPad WiFi apps as well.

There is no WiFi option, only Bluetooth.  It will come with an available simple app for iPhone, Android and Windows Mobile.

There is no WiFi option, only Bluetooth. It will come with an available simple app for iPhone, Android and Windows Mobile.

So I won't be able to monitor my Anova from work and adjust temp/time? This is a game changer.
Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Soooooooooo

can the bluetooth come from my mac rather than an iPhone ?

not a deal breaker for me  but .........

from a mac ?

scubadoo97

Im thinking a bit slow here

at work , maybe one should pay attention to one's Work ....

one can maybe leave a bit  early ....

""  something is boiling at my house   ...  got to go ...  ""

scubadoo97

Im thinking a bit slow here

at work , maybe one should pay attention to one's Work ....

one can maybe leave a bit early ....

"" something is boiling at my house ... got to go ... ""

Appreciate your concern. Really, I do. I'm self employed and work 7 min from home. I really don't expect to have to modify the parameters while at work. But it would be good to be able to and to monitor briefly on occasion while away from the house when doing long cooking sessions

scubadoo97

that was a bit of a joke   just that.

id like my iPad my mac to 'monitor' things,  after all it only one room over 

why get up ?

:biggrin:

I figured as much and it's not like I'm doing brain surgery at work. Eye surgery maybe?

• Like 1

checked my iPad : it has bluetooth.  hoping the app will work w this. it's not the current one, but one before that.  runs OS 7.1.1

allergic to iPhones

I don't know why it wouldn't work. The most important thing is that their releasing the API to developers, so we may see lots of apps for this. The guy who develops SV Dash already said he's chomping at the bit to support it.