• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pmilas

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

a precision cooker has the potential of being just as common as the microwave.

I've already got more of those (not the version, of course) than I do microwaves ;)

I'm not sure that "Precision Cooking" helps much either, although I agree it's a step in the right direction.  I think "Long Term Low Temperature", as advocated elsewhere on these forums, is most to the point. However, it's a bit cumbersome, and LTLT isn't very informative.  If I were a marketer, I might try introducing a phrase like "Low and Slow, Hands-Free Cooking" to appeal to the home market.  (I'm not a marketer, but I just now coined the phrase.  I'll take a cut of the royalties if it catches on.  :wink: )

and "low and Slow Hands Free Cooking" is less cumbersome?  :)   "let me just throw this in the LaSHFC and we'll be off".  not sure... I'm not sold.

no more than two words

short words.

thats the Rule.

MicroWave is really two short words.

someone wanted to save the 'space' between  then.

thats all.

if I thought anybody would pay me for it, I'd save this... but:

PROCook

not sure how to get from "precision" to "pro" but someone clever out there can do it.

"toss that in the procook so we can eat when we get back from the movie".

Precise, Reliable, Optimal  :smile:

Many chefs can do that without sous vide.  :cool:

dcarch

Lets just review:

we want a term that gets more people to do """  SV """

well

we do it.  

if is not at

Sur la Table

and 

Bill Sonoma's 

well

why are we worried about the 

great  Unwashed  that ...............

SVS is a horse and buggy now that real immersion circulators are half the price.

Precise, Reliable, Optimal  :smile:

Many chefs can do that without sous vide.  :cool:

dcarch

Of course! That's what makes them "Pro"... for the rest of us home cooks, however...

@Tjex.  Those are valid points, of course.  All I can say is that I have both, plus an Auber, and use the Anova least.

As for terminology, I've always favored "low temp" and it's the term I use in everyday conversation.  But I think the odds of its ever supplanting sous vide are remote.  And I've always thought "water oven" was an unfortunate descriptor for the SVS.

• Like 1

Someone on the kickstarter page asked a pretty interesting question. Will the v2 have the option of just circulating water.

It would be very handy to run it in a ice bath to drop the temp much faster. Or as they also suggested, cold water for rapid defrosting.

Hoping the apk will allow for it.

Someone on the kickstarter page asked a pretty interesting question. Will the v2 have the option of just circulating water.

It would be very handy to run it in a ice bath to drop the temp much faster. Or as they also suggested, cold water for rapid defrosting.

Hoping the apk will allow for it.

Easy answer, temperature range for Anova is 25°C to 99°C.

Pop it in a colder bath and the heater will not cut in.

Voila. Circulator without heater.

​Although if it's a real ice bath with mainly ice and little water, not sure why you'd want to do this.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Easy answer, temperature range for Anova is 25°C to 99°C.

Pop it in a colder bath and the heater will not cut in.

Voila. Circulator without heater.

​Although if it's a real ice bath with mainly ice and little water, not sure why you'd want to do this.

At 25C it will still heat the water. Circulating ice water has the same effect as circulating hot water, it speeds up the process of heating or cooling. We used to have cold circulating water baths in our beer stores, you would put a bottle of wine or beer in it, and it would chill it in matters of a few minutes. I find chilling down after SV in a ice bath, can sometimes take a while to drop the temp to 5C.

All you need is a $10 aquarium pump to circulate water.

Very small and easy cleanup.

dcarch

• Like 1

All you need is a $10 aquarium pump to circulate water.

Very small and easy cleanup.

dcarch

Good point! But if the Anova 2 has the ability to do it, why bother buying yet another thing for the kitchen?   :laugh:  

Well, seems it got answered by ANOVA:

Creator Anova Culinary 31 minutes ago

@David Siegel - Yes. you can use the V2 in no-heat mode so the system just circulates water. Fine for rapid chilling/unheated defrosting.

Cheers ! 

Anova

Great news!!!

Edited by Tjex (log)

$1.000.000 reached. Impressive.

I started with a $149 pledge, but have been updating my pledge as people from the lower tiers are changing to a two unit pledge/backing out. Now I'm at $129. 

• Like 1

Good point! But if the Anova 2 has the ability to do it, why bother buying yet another thing for the kitchen?   :laugh:  

Well, seems it got answered by ANOVA:

Creator Anova Culinary 31 minutes ago

@David Siegel - Yes. you can use the V2 in no-heat mode so the system just circulates water. Fine for rapid chilling/unheated defrosting.

Cheers ! 

Anova

Great news!!!

This would be a welcome feature for a firmware update for version 1. They'd just need to set it so the circulator starts when you turn the unit on.

agree, just to pile on

I haven't used my SVS once since I got the Anova, and probably won't.

I agree that the Anova is vastly more useful, and for the money it is a no-brainer.  It is vastly more useful, cheaper, and easier to store.  Anybody on the fence should not hesitate.

Edited by IEATRIO (log)

I agree that the Anova is vastly more useful, and for the money it is a no-brainer.  It is vastly more useful, cheaper, and easier to store.  Anybody on the fence should not hesitate.

I'm always curious as to how one concludes that the Anova is easier to store than the SVS. Unless you are attaching it to thin air or are lucky enough to have a stock pot that can double as a container, you still have to store a cooler or a Cambro (or similar) container. Where's the space saving?

• Like 1

a poly food box is smaller, lighter, easier to move around when empty, and can be used to store food, or other things when not cooking in it, should one want to, for one difference.