• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

Water ?   get a brita system from BB$B

20 % off

it clear out all the calcium etc

although for some reason Brita can't claim that

I have a nice espresso system.

I have calcium test strips 

i test the brita water so the Espresso system can stay healthy

brita will so this for you.

Water ?   get a brita system from BB$B

20 % off

it clear out all the calcium etc

although for some reason Brita can't claim that

I have a nice espresso system.

I have calcium test strips 

i test the brita water so the Espresso system can stay healthy

brita will so this for you.

Really?  Brita will remove calcium?  The water here, although I like the taste, is too hard to make dashi.  I freeze distilled water ice cubes, bag them up with kombu, and Anova them for my dashi.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'd suggest a steak.  A nice NY strip or rib steak.  Give it 2-3 hours at 54.5 (if you like rare).  Pat dry and quickly sear both sides with whatever method you have chosen.

While I agree with Kerry on most things, I would not start with a tender cut of beef.  This has not worked well for me.  if you want to cook a tender cut sous vide I suggest pork.  Otherwise go with something like lamb shank or shoulder, or with beef chuck or short rib.  These have worked well for me.

the Ca removal w the brita was discussed at length some time ago on HomeBarista, w mention why Brita cant advertise this

It also ref'd inexpensive 'dip-sticks' that give you your Ca by PPM

Ive go those and indeed the brita removes Ca so that there is an insignificant amount in the pitcher, which I use in my

AlexiaPID espresso machine.

I cant even remember the logic of why Brita cant mention this, as there was none.  It had to do w legislation that protected

one group that sells water purification systems over others.

as Mr. Potato Head said in Toy Story  "  Money Money Money  "

And what's the big deal with using purified water in the bath? I use tap and even with 24+ hour cooks I may get a very small amount of hard water ring on the outside skirt. I usually remove the skirt after use to rinse, clean an dry the rods and coil. Everything usually looks shiny and clean except the sensors which shows some discoloration.

here is a search I just did on H-B :

http://www.home-barista.com/search-results.html?q=brita+and+calcium&ie=ISO-8859-1&cof=FORID%3A9&cx=partner-pub-1874394195286019%3Aih80ev-qwtj&siteurl=www.home-barista.com%2Fsearch.php&ref=www.home-barista.com%2Fforums%2F&ss=10507j29667265j17

you would have to work your way through these.

there was a ref. somewhere at H-B to another article talking about why Brita can advertise this but I cant find it

the test strips I use are called SoftChek

they are  inexpensive

http://www.diywatertesting.com/sofchek-water-hardness-test-strips-611213-27452-50/

this came up on google.   the place I got them I cant find but was a site that sold all sorts of Dip-sticks and container of

50 was about 5 - 8 $$

my water starts out  ( vis test strip ) at 120 ppm

out of the Brita the water is somewhere < 25 but a bit more than 5 ppm

one 'plastic canister' for the brita lasts at least 6 m or more, as I only use this water in my espresso machine

my tap water tastes fine and I dont treat it for any thing else.

hope this helps.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I tried to take my water questions to the Barita thread, but since this seems to be where the discussion is...

Rotuts, are you using a US Barita or a Barita from everywhere else in the world besides North America?  The German Barita folks say they leave the calcium in for reasons of taste.

Would not real deionized water interfere with the water level sensor of the Anova?  Maybe a question for Jeff.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced troubles in their order shipping or seeking response from Anova? I ordered 21 Dec at which point their website clearly stated the PCs were on back order and would ship the first week of January and that shipping notifications would be emailed. I was fine with that, but by 7th Jan, I hadn't heard anything so I emailed to query, and was told "Upon checking your order, it appears to ship in the next few days/weeks." I replied that same day, pointing out that "days/weeks" was a pretty big window and could they be any more specific; I haven't had any reply at all to that email since.

I'm not impressed so far with their customer service. I understand there are backorders and shipping delays but that's pretty vague and non-responsive. Anyone else had problems??

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else experienced troubles in their order shipping or seeking response from Anova? I ordered 21 Dec at which point their website clearly stated the PCs were on back order and would ship the first week of January and that shipping notifications would be emailed. I was fine with that, but by 7th Jan, I hadn't heard anything so I emailed to query, and was told "Upon checking your order, it appears to ship in the next few days/weeks." I replied that same day, pointing out that "days/weeks" was a pretty big window and could they be any more specific; I haven't had any reply at all to that email since.

I'm not impressed so far with their customer service. I understand there are backorders and shipping delays but that's pretty vague and non-responsive. Anyone else had problems??

When I ordered my Anova 1 I was quoted 21 days till it would ship.  A follow up email a couple days later said it would ship in 10 days.  The unit actually arrived four days after I placed the order.