• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

For what it's worth, I purchased an Anova immersion circulator (what this thread refers to as a precision cooker) a short time ago and after using it twice the power switch broke. I had to take it apart and jury-rig another. While the device was not Really expensive, I didn't think it so cheap as to break after 2 uses.

Having said this, I don't know if others have experienced the same problem. I would be interested in hearing.

Pretty sure there is a warranty option

Mine has seen a lot of action since arriving. All's well to date

After my 3rd cook, my Anova started spazzing out. I had it set to cook pork ribs at 80C for about 2 hours when the thermometer started climbing above 80C, first slowly, then increasingly quickly. Even when I turned the heater off, the temperature kept climbing which was worrying but a quick test with my thermapen confirmed the Anova thermometer was simply misbehaving. Eventually, it started registering 217C, even when the probe was at room temperature. Now, after a couple of hours, it appears to be registering correctly again.

I contacted Anova support and will report back with their response. I suspect the reason might be liquid damage inside the device. I was cooking with an aluminum foil cover over a cambro and the only outlet for steam was where the Anova was. There was significant amounts of condensation on the device and I suspect some of the liquid might have found a way into a connection or something.

PS: I am a guy.

My version 1 worked fine for 6 months then the heating unit failed.  The first call to Anova I got Shermie.  Should you ever call Anova's customer support and Shermie answers - you should quickly hang up and try again OR  throw the unit off a bridge OR throw yourself off a bridge.  After a week of head pounding I started over and got someone for whom customer service is more than a noun.  I sent my unit back and immediately received a new unit.  .Another 6 months of use it's still going strong and I just received a kickstarter unit.

The technology is not complex and while it is (for the most part) well executed there is more than a little infant mortality.  That's what warranties are for.

Was thinking of buying one but slightly worried by this emerging issue on the Anova support site http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/109/corrosion-on-220v-unit- is this a general problem? Or just in relation to a few units?

I have rust in that spot as well on my 120V unit. It appears to be a design "feature". I don't think it's a problem in the short term, and I expect Anova to deal with it before it becomes a reliability issue. Until then I'm going to keep on cookin'.

I get that "rust" on both my V1 and 2 probes. Seems more pronounced on the V2.

Didn't Anova Jeff say it was a non issue here on eG when we first noticed it on the V1 model?

I guess if the conclusion is that it's user-replaceable every 2-3 years it could just be treated like a consumeable item. Does the pitting really matter? Is it simple to remove/replace?

"""   Didn't Anova Jeff say it was a non issue here on eG when we first noticed it on the V1 model?  ""

Id like to hear about this from AJ

I have both the V1 and the V2

FD:  i have not needed to use either, yet 

:blink:

but they are next up.   

My SV freezer is soooo full, I didnt have room for the 6 - 8 Turks I usually get at the Low Thanks. Price

( its moved from $ 0.49 to $ 0.59 or so this year.  Outrageous ! )

The circulator 'blade' on my recently-purchased Anova One has started to strike part of the skirt, resulting in a loud noise when the unit is switched on. It'll cost upwards of one hundred dollars to ship a unit Stateside for them to repair/replace it. Non-refundable. That's a bit more than half the cost, minus postage, of a new unit. For a unit that is a few weeks old. I have questions about the build quality that will, I think, prevent me from picking up a Precision. 

EDIT

I'm pleasantly surprised about Anova's customer service. After I objected to the cost of postage, Shermie requested I go through some simple troubleshooting and then offered to replace the unit. No shipping costs. I'm obviously happy with the result, particularly considering the date--late on 25 December, locally--although perhaps they do need to look into some kind of 'return postage paid' setup for foreign customers.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

The circulator 'blade' on my recently-purchased Anova One has started to strike part of the skirt, resulting in a loud noise when the unit is switched on. It'll cost upwards of one hundred dollars to ship a unit Stateside for them to repair/replace it. Non-refundable. That's a bit more than half the cost, minus postage, of a new unit. For a unit that is a few weeks old. I have questions about the build quality that will, I think, prevent me from picking up a Precision. 

EDIT

I'm pleasantly surprised about Anova's customer service. After I objected to the cost of postage, Shermie requested I go through some simple troubleshooting and then offered to replace the unit. No shipping costs. I'm obviously happy with the result, particularly considering the date--late on 25 December, locally--although perhaps they do need to look into some kind of 'return postage paid' setup for foreign customers.

I had the same issue with my old Anova and never got an acknowledgement from the company about it. What I did was get a set of pliers and gently bent the fan blades downwards a little bit so they wouldn't hit the skirt. Seems to work for a couple of months before I have to do it again.

PS: I am a guy.

I had the rubbing issue with the impeller on the Anova One....no bending...just putting the skirt on in a different position (so the water level marks were toward the back) solved the problem for me.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I get that "rust" on both my V1 and 2 probes. Seems more pronounced on the V2.

Didn't Anova Jeff say it was a non issue here on eG when we first noticed it on the V1 model?

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145431-anova-sous-vide-circulator-part-1/page-15#entry1934313

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I had the rubbing issue with the impeller on the Anova One....no bending...just putting the skirt on in a different position (so the water level marks were toward the back) solved the problem for me.

This was indeed the troubleshooting process I was asked to go through. Didn't help matters, unfortunately. I tried locking the skirt in place in all three possible positions. I discovered two resulted in a slightly louder noise than the one I'd been using.

Time will tell if this design issue has been addressed in the new and future versions of the circulator. I'd consider it a more pressing matter than mobile connectivity or anything like that. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Thank you so much, DDF! I wish Anova would have cut and pasted Jeff's reply into their support thread about this issue... it's unfortunate that so much heat has been generated without any engineering nfo being given there.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, DDF! I wish Anova would have cut and pasted Jeff's reply into their support thread about this issue... it's unfortunate that so much heat has been generated without any engineering nfo being given there.

agree - much more reassuring than the rather strange answers on the support thread!
  • Like 1

I'd suggest a steak.  A nice NY strip or rib steak.  Give it 2-3 hours at 54.5 (if you like rare).  Pat dry and quickly sear both sides with whatever method you have chosen.

Mmmm steak *drools* I like it medium rare, what sort of temperature would be best for that? Is there something that I should do first to test the calibration of the Anova first (preferably a cheaper option) so I don't ruin a good steak? Thank you :)

Just lurking, don't mind me...

Mmmm steak *drools* I like it medium rare, what sort of temperature would be best for that? Is there something that I should do first to test the calibration of the Anova first (preferably a cheaper option) so I don't ruin a good steak? Thank you :)

Eggs, great for testing at different temperatures. Test at 64°C and 65°C for an hour each. Google for images on the expected result. Easy, cheap and very interesting!

I'm going to let someone else answer the calibration question - I happen to have a reference thermometer so I check it with that.

I'd probably go 57 degrees C or so.

salixfire

go with 130.  no salt.

don't worry about the calibration.  for this time.

I dont personally feel 130 is 'Rare'  you can see some stunning 'rare' rib-eye roasts from both

Shelby and Ann_T

remember this and think about it :  each SV is a 'food experiment'  keep track of each

over time, you will know  precisely what suit your.

no wibble-wabble then there !