• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

Ours (red!) arrived while we were away. It didn't need a signature, as our catsitter found the box when she arrived after school. Now debating the first thing to use it for!

My cats are very fond of 54C duck breast as on MC@H p. 245, but using the Savory Poultry Brine from the top of MC@H p. 133, substituting cloves for star anise.

My red (red is best!) is on the Fedex vehicle!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Here it is. Isn't it pretty? But I not only had to sign for it I had to pay almost $30 in tax!

It is icy cold so I will let it come to ambient temperature before I test it out.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

That's not right!  I didn't pay any extra on mine - the 'package' we purchased on Kickstarter was supposed to take care of that.  You need to contact Jeff.

• Like 1

Got mine two days ago....  Made some lovely Salmon, but afterwards, thought I'd take the skirt off to dry out..... couldn't remove cap or skirt.....Impossible........  And also now the top knob of the clamp also does not turn........So the height can't be adjusted....  

After waiting so long I'm so disappointed I'll have to send it back.....

Wonder what the turn around time is?

Got mine two days ago....  Made some lovely Salmon, but afterwards, thought I'd take the skirt off to dry out..... couldn't remove cap or skirt.....Impossible........  And also now the top knob of the clamp also does not turn........So the height can't be adjusted....  

After waiting so long I'm so disappointed I'll have to send it back.....

Wonder what the turn around time is?

I'd say it's likely operator error.

the skirt is very snug, so it takes a good grip and some effort to get it to come loose, make sure you're twisting it in the correct direction, counter clockwise, looking at it from the bottom.

the skirt is very snug, so it takes a good grip and some effort to get it to come loose, make sure you're twisting it in the correct direction, counter clockwise, looking at it from the bottom.

I would say the same thing, but my sister also tried to no avail...... and we absolutely turned it to the left as the manual instructed.

image.jpg

Mine is now warm and working perfectly.

I wanted to share this set up with you. It is ideal for small quantities. It consists of a Brita water filter gizmo with its inner white plastic parts removed. As you can see it is easily emptied using the spigot. For long cooking times I can prevent evaporation using either a rectangular silicone lid or a "cut to fit" piece of the shiny material used for shock blankets. The Brita gizmo came from a thrift store.

I would love to take credit for thinking this one up but credit belongs to Kerry Beal's brother.

For those of us who have difficulty lifting heavy items this is brilliant.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mine is now warm and working perfectly.

I wanted to share this set up with you. It is ideal for small quantities. It consists of a Brita water filter gizmo with its inner white plastic parts removed. As you can see it is easily emptied using the spigot. For long cooking times I can prevent evaporation using either a rectangular silicone lid or a "cut to fit" piece of the shiny material used for shock blankets. The Brita gizmo came from a thrift store.

I would love to take credit for thinking this one up but credit belongs to Kerry Beal's brother.

For those of us who have difficulty lifting heavy items this is brilliant.

Anna, what is the inside height of the Brita that you're using?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Anna, what is the inside height of the Brita that you're using?

It is 7 6/8 " to the rim.

My 2004 eG Blog

That's not right!  I didn't pay any extra on mine - the 'package' we purchased on Kickstarter was supposed to take care of that.  You need to contact Jeff.

Spoke too soon - got $15 invoice from Fedex today.

Many thanks, not quite high enough for my Anova 1.  I guess I'll be sticking to my pasta pot.

Should work fine. I just attached my Anova 1 and there's no issue and I know the chap who came up with this only has the Anova 1.

My 2004 eG Blog

After neither my sister or myself being able to remove the skirt and cap or re-loosen the upper clamp adjustment following the manual instructions;  I brought it to my brother-in-law who had the strength needed to remove it...........  All is now well!!!

Regarding the Brita looks like a brilliant solution for those of us lacking strength.......Love the idea but in the height department I  think it would be a close call to fit my Sous Vide Supreme bag rack in it which is coming in really useful and was a very worthwhile

purchase to use with the circulator

For what it's worth, I purchased an Anova immersion circulator (what this thread refers to as a precision cooker) a short time ago and after using it twice the power switch broke. I had to take it apart and jury-rig another. While the device was not Really expensive, I didn't think it so cheap as to break after 2 uses. 

Having said this, I don't know if others have experienced the same problem. I would be interested in hearing.

Thanks in advance,

-cfmiles.