• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

Inspired by Chris's post http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145291-cooking-with-modernist-cuisine-part-2/page-10#entry1811272, I had been waiting until I got my Anova v2 to try making the MC duck confit with pommes sarladaises. I bought a whole duck from Costco so I cooked the white meat as well (at 54C), brined with similar spices, as described in MC@Home. The confit was a bit salty for my taste, so I'll be adjusting that recipe, but the breasts were absolutely divine. They reminded me in both texture and flavor of rare prime rib, sigh. At the time I thought "this is the best thing I've ever eaten." I couldn't control myself and ate way more than my normal ration. Bliss! :wub:

This morning I went back to Costco (braving the Black Friday crowds, as is totally against my nature) to get a couple more ducks, but there were none to be found. Backordered. BLAST IT!

Oh yeah, the hardware performed as required.

Edited by Robin G (log)

I like both, for different reasons.

Anova One - I find the touch screen to be much easier to use, especially with a timer. You can also calibrate the unit through the menu. It heats up water much faster (in my opinion) and can handle bigger tubs. I will be using this unit for most long cooks. You can also direct the jet flow any direction you want. It is heavier and bulkier though.

Anova Precision Cooker - Pain to use the timer, especially with no app out (And no news of an Android version). I do like the clamp and that it's smaller as I can use it with any pot I have at home. My unit was off by 1.5F and had to be recalibrated, I have a new replacement coming in on Monday as it can't be calibrated without the app. To me it seems to take longer to reach high temps but I get around that by using boiling water to speed things up. Aesthetically, it's nicer. You can still direct the jet flow in the direction you want, but it takes a little more work "you can move the bottom cap in one of three positions, then more the whole unit around in the clamp"

They are both great devices, both seem to maintain temp very well. The Anova Precision Cooker prefers to be used with a lid on your pot/tub, I find it maintains temp much better that way. If you have any questions, let me know.

I also like the original touch screen for ease of use. The Precision Cooker is smaller, lighter weight and with the plug attached is easier to store in a cabinet drawer in the kitchen so I can quickly pull it out and set up a bit faster.

I have already made multiple Cambro set ups of different sizes for the use of Anova One and the Precision Cooker fits them all, so I have not experimented with the use with kitchen pots. My Cambros all have lids with custom holes in them to fit the units. I like the use of lids to retain heat and reduces evaporation.

Looking forward to see how easy and accurate the app will be when trying something new. Currently I research eGullet and do internet searches to find info on time/temp and texture when doing something new. Regardless, the use of SV Dash is still important to me. I don't usually use the built in timer in the app but use it for information on safe temps and times

one thing I feel strongly about, from my experience in audio world as well, is that a fixed AC/mains cord is a minus

it inevitably has a stress point that a detachable cord avoids.

and that 3 pin IEC cord connector is a standard, easy to replace or find in any length...

"Cyber Monday is on! Use code CYBER30 to get $30 off the Precision Cooker.

We're sold out, but you'll still get something to put under the tree if you order. Check it out. Offer expires 12/9/14"

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone who ordered theirs during the summer received theirs yet? I ordered 2 in June and I realize that they must have been swamped with orders but not hearing anything from them and then seeing people posting last month receiving theirs gets me a bit worried.

My shipping notification arrived yesterday, but the tracking number didn't show up with FedEx till this morning. Delivery is scheduled to happen early next week.

Those of you who have gotten them already: did anyone have to sign for the package?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I got my Anova Pro today and am in the middle of calibrating it when I discovered a bug. For temperatures between 0C - 10C, the Anova appears to lop off the first digit and display 0.XC. Similarly, between 30F and 40F, the Anova displays 30.XF. Can someone else confirm if they can replicate this?

Calibration seems to be pretty on point. The circulator read between 100.0 and 100.1C when immersed in boiling water, was within 0.1C of my thermapen at both 80C and 60C.

• Like 1

PS: I am a guy.

Ours (red!) arrived while we were away. It didn't need a signature, as our catsitter found the box when she arrived after school. Now debating the first thing to use it for!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2