• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

• 2 weeks later...

I came very close to canceling my Precision Cooker preorder (which could be a pain, as they charged my card the second I hit the order button) and jumping on this Amazon deal today, but decided that the ergonomics of the new one is worth the extra $40 and decreased wattage. At least that's what I'm telling myself...

I came very close to canceling my Precision Cooker preorder (which could be a pain, as they charged my card the second I hit the order button) and jumping on this Amazon deal today, but decided that the ergonomics of the new one is worth the extra $40 and decreased wattage. At least that's what I'm telling myself...

Same here...... Just wish they would give the customers that preordered an update as to when they can expect shipment.......

I see updates for the Kickstarter backers but not for preorders. My receipt said November delivery....... now I see preorder for December delivery on the website........

Received my precision cooker and I must say the form factor is very nice, smaller than my Sansaire and quieter. One thing I do like about the Sansaire is that the power connector is removable, so you can have an extra long cable

I made a sound comparison video. http://youtu.be/U-om9HXP_N4

The power cord of the Anova One is removable.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Does anyone know why the eu Version of the Professional device is so much more expensive than the us Version? I find it Hard to justify and am sort of annoyed about this sort of price politics since i have encountered this with no other device.

Volts ? Watts ? Amps ?

I saw it mentioned somewhere about having to use a better/beefier power supply to deal with 240 in Europe as opposed to 120 in America. Couldn't quote the source though. Also I think USA has some weird per-state sales tax system so they might not have that included in the price. If you were to buy one, it'd probably cost more than it was listed for on the internet.

Looking forward to getting my precision soon... Fingers crossed for it to ship on the 12th.

Does anyone know why the eu Version of the Professional device is so much more expensive than the us Version? I find it Hard to justify and am sort of annoyed about this sort of price politics since i have encountered this with no other device.

I'm no apologist for Anova - in fact, I'm not much of a fan - but the answer may be the expense of tooling up two production lines.  If they're anticipating lower sales of EU units, they may have priced those higher to recoup costs and make a profit.  I'll readily admit that's just speculation, however.  The real answer may simply be that they figure the EU market will bear a higher price because there's less competition in this niche.  Conversely, of course, if you can get a comparable machine for less, you should do that.

I'm no apologist for Anova - in fact, I'm not much of a fan - but the answer may be the expense of tooling up two production lines. If they're anticipating lower sales of EU units, they may have priced those higher to recoup costs and make a profit. I'll readily admit that's just speculation, however. The real answer may simply be that they figure the EU market will bear a higher price because there's less competition in this niche. Conversely, of course, if you can get a comparable machine for less, you should do that.

EU prices also must incorporate taxes, whereas in the US the price is advertised without tax included. It makes it worse that EU taxes such as the British VAT are over double what the highest US sales taxes are.

Changes in the exchange rate are also a factor. It looks worse for a company to raise the price if the exchange rate fluctuates, than to just build some buffer in the original price.

Finally, it's just cheaper to buy things in the US. I'm am American living in the UK, and there are even BRITISH products that I can get cheaper in the states. It's crazy, but it's a function of population sizes and politics.

I can't wait to get my two Anovas, I have the red ones so I have to wait a bit longer. Oh well.

You might be waiting more than 'a bit longer'. I just got an email to say that the delivery of the 220v model has blown out to January 2015. :angry:

You might be waiting more than 'a bit longer'. I just got an email to say that the delivery of the 220v model has blown out to January 2015. :angry:

I'm furious. Clearly they've just made a decision to save money on production for their bottom line, instead of being loyal to their backers.