• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

A Big WoW AnnaN

like unpacking a new Apple Comp.

It seems the AnovaTeam took a page from the Apple 'Packers'

good for them

BTW how do you think your'e 'Early Bird' might differ from the later versions ?

like to hear what you think about this one !

Probably won't happen today. I've been completely distracted from my plan of action by the arrival of the Anova. I had no prior knowledge that it was shipping. A knock on the door, the FedEx agent, and there I was right in the middle of other tasks. But had to at least share a first look (knew you were anxious).

ETA

When it came time to return the packaging to the basement I discovered that the ANOVA 2 package is very very slightly smaller than the ANOVA 1. This came to light when I attempted to put the sleeve of the ANOVA 2 on the packaging for the ANOVA 1. I didn't measure but I'm guessing somewhat less than half an inch separates the two packages.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fantastic - it's always great when a concept becomes real.  Having this one out the door now seems like a good sign the full production version should be on track for next month, as Jeff indicated very early in the piece.

One of the things I was looking forward to on the new one is the removable/adjustable clamp.  From Anna's photos it's exactly what I was hoping for.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Fantastic - it's always great when a concept becomes real.  Having this one out the door now seems like a good sign the full production version should be on track for next month, as Jeff indicated very early in the piece.

One of the things I was looking forward to on the new one is the removable/adjustable clamp.  From Anna's photos it's exactly what I was hoping for.

I don't think it's clear from my photos but what is no longer removable is the power cord. I am not yet sure where I stand on this.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Hum.  Not sure how I feel about that, either.

I guess it's no big thing; the first thing I do when I get my Anova One out of where it lives is plug its cord in.  So now I won't have to do that ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Yeah, that seems like an odd change.

Perhaps the removable cord has caused problems.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

IMG_1546.jpg

Love the way the cord attaches - nice not to have the clunky cord.

IMG_1548.jpg

Took about 15 minutes to go from 43C to 64C with about 7 litres of water in an uncovered uninsulated cambro.  Checked with reference thermometer - bang on 64.0C.  

It beeped at 63.8 to announce it was almost at temperature.  After I placed the cold meat in the container - it beeped again at 63.8 when it came back up.  

Looks even prettier now since I took the little piece of plastic off the screen.

I decided that I wanted the jet to go backwards - tried simply removing and replacing the bottom plastic piece - however it only fits in one configuration - so I had to remove the stainless skirt and replace it 180 degrees to accomplish this. It's a bit tricky as the blades need to line up with the hole precisely to put the skirt back on.  

It's much lighter than the 1 and it's much quieter too.  I can tell it's on in the kitchen - but just by a quiet little swoosh - not the gurgling of the 1.  

• Like 2

Yeah, that's probably the reason for the change.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

That is correct. Unless Anova is willing to amend the terms appropriately, Sous Vide Dash will not be able to use their API. We are currently having a conversation with them about this.

Best of luck!!! I know there are many of us that would LOVE to see Sous Vide Dash adapted to work directly with the new Anova circulator. 

I haven't kept up with this thread - are they shipping now?

Hassouni,

These are the hacker specials. The original ship date for the standard units still stands as October I believe.

My 2004 eG Blog

Somehow turned itself of this morning - was only down a couple of degrees when I noticed (last seen functioning perfectly an hour before). I know with my Anova 1 if I light the stove (piezo electric starter) and I don't have the plug isolated with a power bar it would turn off.  I'm plugged in to a power bar though and I just tried lighting the stove again and it didn't turn it off.  

Because it's so quiet it was less noticeable that it had turned off.

I rather like the fact that I can remove the cord on my Anova 1.

Kerry, should I feel cheated that my Anova 1 doesn't gurgle?

Not sure if you should - depends how much you mind noise I suppose!

Mine also.

Someone explain to me why this is confusing. ANOVA found a packaging system that worked and continues to use something very similar. There is a very large weight difference between the two packages with the new one being much much lighter due to the composition of the foam. I simply cannot understand the confusion.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Someone explain to me why this is confusing. ANOVA found a packaging system that worked and continues to use something very similar. There is a very large weight difference between the two packages with the new one being much much lighter due to the composition of the foam. I simply cannot understand the confusion.

yeah, makes perfect sense to me. "well, we've got all these boxes already made up, and we need something to ship the new unit in... oh, look, it fits perfectly, almost like we designed it that way to save costs" SHIP IT! *lol*

I rather like the fact that I can remove the cord on my Anova 1.

Kerry, should I feel cheated that my Anova 1 doesn't gurgle?

Me too. Both counts.

Fwiw all I meant by my 'confusion' with the packaging was that I didn't see why the packaging of the 2 was noteworthy, suddenly, when it's essentially the same as the 1

Me too. Both counts.

Fwiw all I meant by my 'confusion' with the packaging was that I didn't see why the packaging of the 2 was noteworthy, suddenly, when it's essentially the same as the 1

Me too. Both counts.

All righty. Now I understand. Thank you.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

This is where I always hoped Sous Vide would go! Just an ordinary pan pulled from my batterie de cuisine. No Cambro containers, no coolers just a very ordinary looking saucepan that is always at hand. And the other interesting feature of the new ANOVA is that there is no need to remove the skirt to reposition the impeller. Simply turn the unit around in the collar of its mounting bracket. I am a happy camper!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

This is where I always hoped Sous Vide would go! Just an ordinary pan pulled from my batterie de cuisine. No Cambro containers, no coolers just a very ordinary looking saucepan that is always at hand. And the other interesting feature of the new ANOVA is that there is no need to remove the skirt to reposition the impeller. Simply turn the unit around in the collar of its mounting bracket. I am a happy camper!

Anna, maybe I am missing something but I use the Anova 1 with my ordinary pot sitting by the stove.  I've never had to remove or adjust the skirt of my Anova.  Why is the new Anova different for you?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Anna, maybe I am missing something but I use the Anova 1 with my ordinary pot sitting by the stove.  I've never had to remove or adjust the skirt of my Anova.  Why is the new Anova different for you?

Not even my deepest "lobster" pot could accommodate the Anova 1. As I recall it needs a minimum container depth of 8 inches. Doesn't sound like much but was deeper than any of my saucepans.

If one is cooking something delicate, lets say like eggs in their shell, then to have the direction of the stream of water contollable can be important. To change that direction with the Anova 1 means removing the skirt. You can contol the direction of the flow in the new machine by simply turning it in the collar in the mounting bracket.

My 2004 eG Blog

To change that direction with the Anova 1 means removing the skirt. You can contol the direction of the flow in the new machine by simply turning it in the collar in the mounting bracket.

that is incorrect, all you do is turn the cap on the bottom, it's designed that way.

I believe this is in the manual.

that is incorrect, all you do is turn the cap on the bottom, it's designed that way.

I believe this is in the manual.

Yes, I believe I am mistaken. I have never attempted to do it myself so this information was given to me by another user of the Anova 1. I should have checked my facts. Thank you for correcting my error.

My 2004 eG Blog