• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

To add to the list above:

-An audible alert to tell you it reached desired temp

Ability to take add own notes under each cut/protein/veg. That is a very useful function in SV apps I have used.

@Rotuts: I have got the hacker special, as mentioned. I hope that we'll be able to best test the Anova app too.

Mine is sitting in Mississauga and will be delivered on Tuesday.

Yikes! So where is mine?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not sure that expecting non-competition is unreasonable.

It's like Microsoft saying you can only create a program for Windows, but not OSX. Or for example, Apple saying you can create an app just for iOS but not Android.

These T&C pretty much rule out having Sous Vide Dash app for the Anova. Unless I'm mistaken?

According to a post from a commenter on their Kickstarter page, the T&C reads, in part:

2.2 Limitations and Non-Competition: You may not access the Developer Tools if you also develop applications for use with products that directly compete with Anova Products; namely, any application for use with a product using immersion circulation or water bath, or any product designed to cook food at a low temperature for a defined time. If you develop any application for a competing product, your license to use the Developer Tools or any of them is immediately revoked.

That seems to pretty clearly ban anyone from developing for multiple sous vide platforms. I'm glad the physical controls look to be useable and that apps were a distant second concern of mine, since this will almost certainly prevent the more capable developers from working with this device. We'll be left with apps from your random dabblers who only have this, and no other, sous vide solution.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

who cares.  apps dont cook.  any of them

do some cooking.

Well that's pretty rude!  The advantages of having app running immersion circulators is that it makes life a bit easier. The apps are a tool, you can use it, or, in your case, choose not to.

Not all of us have the temp/time/thickness charts memorized ;)

Edited by Tjex (log)

These T&C pretty much rule out having Sous Vide Dash app for the Anova. Unless I'm mistaken?

That is correct. Unless Anova is willing to amend the terms appropriately, Sous Vide Dash will not be able to use their API. We are currently having a conversation with them about this.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

image.jpg

WAIT

image.jpg

WAIT

image.jpg

WAIT

image.jpg

WAIT

image.jpg

WAIT

image.jpg

WAIT

image.jpg

TA DA!

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A Big WoW AnnaN

like unpacking a new Apple Comp.

It seems the AnovaTeam took a page from the Apple 'Packers'

good for them

BTW  how do you think your'e  'Early Bird' might differ from the later versions ?

like to hear what you think about this one !

I"m confused... that looks almost exactly like the packaging of my Anova One, but with a slightly different cutout in the foam.

It probably is. Why would this be confusing? When I can dig up a little bit more energy I will go downstairs and get the packaging for the ANOVA one and compare.

My 2004 eG Blog

I"m confused... that looks almost exactly like the packaging of my Anova One, but with a slightly different cutout in the foam.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Top is an Anova 1

Bottom is ANOVA 2

My 2004 eG Blog