• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

I need another app like a need a few more holes in my head.

but Toys are Toys and Boys are Boys.

i hope it has a lot of Delicious Pictures of the Food that won't really resemble what i'm cooking

as a bonus.

• Like 2

SV Dash is amazing. No pictures, no recipes.  It calculates and graphs time/temperature based on the all the parameters you tell it. It also gives the pasteurization curves.

Dead to me until they get it in android.

• Like 4

So I won't be able to monitor my Anova from work and adjust temp/time? This is a game changer.

Correct, no Wifi option as stated on the kickstarter page, only bluetooth. It will allow you to adjust/see temp from within the bluetooth range (your house). 

Saying this, theoretically, one might be able to connect to the new Anova through a Mac/PC/phone and with the right program, transmit the information out on Wifi. Saying this, the device would have to be in range of the Anova and be turned on at all times.

Lets see what Dev's come up with once the API is released. Ideally, I would LOVE to see a Sousvide Dash time of app, tied in with thermal probe (For Android as well as iPhone). Wouldn't it be great to be able to track the internal temp as well as the water temp?

• 2 weeks later...

Anova is seeking some more feedback on the new precision cooker...

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TXDR7BG

You'll have to lie about your postal code if you are from Canada.

You'll have to lie about your postal code if you are from Canada.

Perhaps that's something worth mentioning in the survey comments... I suspect it isn't a problem only Canadians will experience.

I apologize on behalf of my fellow USAians. :blush:

rotuts, the email I got said they weren't able to add in wi-fi and still meet their delivery time commitment. The subsequent survey asked if we were willing to wait longer to get a unit with wi-fi. So my interpretation is the decision still hasn't been finalized.

I guess it is true the thing might be hacked, though.

• Like 1

rotuts, the email I got said they weren't able to add in wi-fi and still meet their delivery time commitment. The subsequent survey asked if we were willing to wait longer to get a unit with wi-fi. So my interpretation is the decision still hasn't been finalized.

I guess it is true the thing might be hacked, though.

I wonder about a software solution that uses a desktop computer in your house to act as a go-between. This would be a 3rd party software project. And maybe not so easy to set up ... you'd have to navigate firewall settings and all that. If someone could do it simply, I'd be intrigued.

I'm less intrigued by the prospect of teenage hackers from Kyrgyzstan giving me salmonella.

Notes from the underbelly

599 international.

I'm happy with my two red PCs I have coming for 198.

On your domestic market, however, this could clean up in commercial kitchens.

True, it's an extra $100, but you get a 2kW heater instead of 1kW. Not saying it's worth the extra $$ but that thing must heat up water so quickly!

It's impressive, but I have a 1.25kW from Clifton, which is our domestic brand.

By the time you add on vat, duty and postage to the Anova pro it's not worth it anymore.

I will keep my eyes peeled for an Anova chamber vac, though.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on the APP for the precision cooker right now - does anyone have any requests? 

-a way to sync with via bluetooth with a computer that could text you when you're not home (I know this would be complicated ... but I don't need remote contact if I'm at home with the circulator).

-alerts in case of wide temperature fluctuations or power interruptions

-ability to program multistage cooking ... like a precook at low temperature for increasing tenderness, followed by the final cook at higher temperature

-ability to set an on-timer, so it can start heating the water a half hour before i plan to get home

A more advanced app could have the features of the sous-vide dash app, but with better graphics and ability to control the  circulator directly. But the developer of that app may be planning such a thing.

Notes from the underbelly

Two-way communication for lazy people, so I can see what temperature the water is at on my phone without having to get up!

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 1 month later...

I'm working on the APP for the precision cooker right now - does anyone have any requests? 

I think the main aim of the app should be to make it easy for novices to cook different kinds of proteins and cuts to their taste. Another possible objective of the app could be to showcase some of the more advanced features the new Anova will allow.

In my experience, what most people are really uncertain about in the beginning is for how long and at what temperature they should cook something. The perfect app should have the Modernist Cuisine tables built-in with timer based on the thickness (for tender meats). That is more or less exactly the app you show in the Kickstarter video. I hope you will use the doneness similar Modernist Cuisine and not some very high and conservative, old FDA temperatures! I also hope the times in the app will be "best estimate" and not overly conservative. People don't like overcooked food or excessive cooking times.

That said, people to like to get foodborne illness either. New users might wonder what is safe to do, or they might not be aware of what is unsafe practice. Users should therefore be warned it they try to cook something more than four hours below 54C for instance. Maybe the unit could even send a warning that it has operated for more than four hours at a temperature below 54C?

Maybe it could have a main setting for immuno-compromised people that will only display "pasteurized options"? And/or an option to "cook to pasteurize core" when one selects doneness. Again, I hope it will not give overly conservative. In that case, it is better with a main user setting for "best estimate" or "conservative" mode.

Feature:

Estimated internal temperature would be a cool feature!

Select cooking times for eggs by weight.

Advanced features:

Multistage cooking for advanced users.

Circulate only mode - without heating.

Wish: A plastic Anova calipers to use with the app.

---

Do you know about when the (international) Hacker Specials will be shipped? Will the Hackers be able to beta test the Anova app?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...