• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

Well, it's a quieter device and a high-quality cooking vessel. 

I was one of the original owners of the SVS; interviewed by the Times, etc.  My biggest issue with the SVS at this current point in time, is that it weighs a lot when it's full, and since I tore up my shoulder and biceps, I can't lift it.  Now that's where the Anova that's been ordered will take it to the cleaners.

And assuming it is only too heavy when filled with water this can be overcome if

A). You can situate it near your sink

Or

B). You can put it on a wheeled cart and bring it close to the sink

In either of the above scenarios you can scoop or siphon the water out.

I have the Demi and I can manage that despite being old and decrepit. YMMV.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You've still got to have something full of water to use the Anova, no? That said, I get buying an SVS when it was the only game in town: I don't get buying one today, especially given the price of this new Anova Precision Cooker.

I still see a market for it. Not for the likes of Society members but for the general public. There remains something "mad scientist like" about the ANOVA and its ilk. The SVS on the other hand more closely resembles a normal kitchen appliance.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I still see a market for it. Not for the likes of Society members but for the general public. There remains something "mad scientist like" about the ANOVA and its ilk. The SVS on the other hand more closely resembles a normal kitchen appliance.

Agreed. Its essentially just a fancy crockpot.

No its not.

at a low end Yard Sale, for sure  :   < 10 USA.

crock pots if you can fined then are free.

I gave my C.P. to my  Library.  True,

its for Check Out to the Staff for a weekend if they need it.

Staff CrockPot.  Ill get them to catalogue it.

Staff Only, please

True.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

You've still got to have something full of water to use the Anova, no? That said, I get buying an SVS when it was the only game in town: I don't get buying one today, especially given the price of this new Anova Precision Cooker. 

Yes, but it seems like I can user the anova with 4 - 6 quarts of water. And a standard saucepan/soup pan.  The SVS probably weighs more than that empty.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah - one big appliance.  It's as large as my Cuisinart Combi-Oven!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I realize this thread is about the new Anova, but I think the pros and cons of other options is relevant to the decision whether to buy one and especially whether to wait what'll probably turn out to be six months before the new version is shipped.  I'm not suggesting the Sous Vide Supreme is clearly the better option for everyone.  As my mother likes to say, there's a reason Baskin-Robbins makes more than one flavor of ice cream.  But I do think it's the better option for a lot of people.

Chris asks what one gets for the higher price of an SVS.  Mainly simplicity of set-up and use.  Whereas we've had lots of discussions on what it takes to set up a bath to accommodate circulators.  It's not rocket surgery, but it's neither easy nor cheap.  In particular, for long cooks, one has to do something to reduce evaporation, an issue which simply doesn't exist for the SVS.  Further, an SVS works fine with zip-top bags, eliminating the need for a vacuum machine (either a temperamental clamp model or an expensive chamber one).  This can be done with circulators, but it's fiddly.

Yes, the SVS is pretty big.  But, then, so is a Cambro or large stockpot.  And there are very few cooks where a normal stockpot will be large enough.  For the same reason, I don't see an advantage either way in dealing with the water.  If one is too heavy for someone to lift, so will be the other.  In either case, the solution is to use a saucepan or large measuring cup to move the water in batches rather than all at once.  Similarly, each is about as difficult to store as the other.  But the SVS is something most folks would be more happy leaving on the counter, simply because it looks better than a typical circulator rig.  Not a huge consideration, of course, but relevant.  An appliance which is ready at hand is more likely to be used than one which has to be dug out of a cabinet or basement.

Then there's the circulator vs. noncirculator issue, which is what prompted my initial post in the thread.  As rotus says, there are a few circumstances in which the difference matters, e.g., eggs and seafood.  Indeed, as I said, I'll agree a circulator works better in general for short cooks.  If someone anticipates doing mostly those, that's a good reason to get (or wait for) the Anova.  If someone anticipates mostly doing long cooks, though, I think the SVS is better.  Reasonable minds can disagree on the point (hello Weedy), but that's my humble opinion.  In any event, circulation is not the sine qua non of sous vide and low temp.

As regards price, I guess I take a different view.  My primary consideration is what's best.  Within reason, I don't worry much about comparative cost.  When discussing this with friends,  I point out we're talking about an appliance they'll be using at least once per week and perhaps much more often.   (If not, they probably shouldn't be bothering at all.)   Allocated over say two years, that $200 price differential works out to less than two bucks per week.  And the appliance is going to last much longer (though, of course, not forever).  Meanwhile, it appears I'm the only person who is alarmed at the lower price of the new Anova.  That fifty bucks less (net of Kickstarter's cut) while adding Bluetooth capability almost has to translate to lower build quality of the basic unit.  Maybe experience will prove me wrong - indeed, I hope so - but I'm hesitant to recommend the new Anova until it has an established track record.  Whereas the SVS already has that.

• Like 1

The current Anova is dead simple.  Not sure about the new one.  I am someone who does not have a cell phone.  I've resisted signing up for the kickstarter.  My advice for anyone is to buy the original Anova.  It is a great product and it works well.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sous Vide Supreme did have the Demi on special for a few days at $199 + free shipping (now expired) I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes the permanent price.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

@pbear, good points, but here is the thing, I don't see how SVS can compete at this stage:

-The new Anova is almost 1/2 the price

-is MUCH smaller and doesn't take up counter space when stored

-can be used with practically any pot (with the new clamp system)

-circulates water

-uses bluetooth for those who want to (I guess you will be eventually be able to program your own cook times)

-can be used with ziplock bags just as well

I'll grant you that for long times you have to deal with evaporation (but that's easily dealt with). As for built quality, I see no reason to be concerned. It's a company that has a reputation for building lab quality products and is certainly not a startup.

One can assume the extra $2/week over two years is something easy to pass along if SVS have a financing plan. Otherwise, the sticker price will push people away from it when cheaper options are available. 

The Kickstarter campaign is a great way to judge demand and put the squeeze on the competition. Sansais, SVS and Nomiku are all going to have to re-evaluate their offerings. Exciting times ahead for home SV machines!

Edited by Tjex (log)
  • Like 1

Interesting to speculate how big the market might actually be.

Either this is the tip of the iceberg or they've already reached the food-obsessed through eG and Serious Eats and have sold a large chunk of their share of the market.

just thinking this myself.  aside from restaurants and professionally prepares food:

how many 'households'  cook via SV  even occasionally ?

I sure the number is rising gradually.

since Im addicted a student to of PBS cooking shows, not cable,

SV has been mentioned on America's Test Kitchen and Simply Ming.

Ming Tsai actually made an salmon dish.  ATK just showed the SVS off.

any of this on Cable ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

The problem with sous-vide is the word "sous-vide". Even in french it doesn't mean much and needs an explination on why it's such a great cooking method. This is a problem if you want to sell to the general public, there's a whole lot of misconceptions about what sous-vide cooking is. How many time I've heard a person say "isn't that the cooking method where you boil your food?"

Anova is rebranding the term with "Precision Cooking". This term is much more self-explanitory.

The potencial of precision cooking is HUGE! a precision cooker has the potential of being just as common as the microwave. It's that appealing! So why isn't it picking up yet? Marketing. Rebranding from "sous-vide" to "precision cooking" is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that "Precision Cooking" helps much either, although I agree it's a step in the right direction.  I think "Long Term Low Temperature", as advocated elsewhere on these forums, is most to the point. However, it's a bit cumbersome, and LTLT isn't very informative.  If I were a marketer, I might try introducing a phrase like "Low and Slow, Hands-Free Cooking" to appeal to the home market.  (I'm not a marketer, but I just now coined the phrase.  I'll take a cut of the royalties if it catches on.  :wink: )

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

nope.

"Precision Cooking"

about as close and easy to envision at anythin

still Sous Vide has that cachet.  a whiff of La Belle France

everything tastes better in L.B.F.: