• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

They introduced a product to the world last year that's a great value and with much satisfaction among customers, yet some whined and continue to whine because they weren't hugged and loved enough....I expect more of the same.

I get the feeling that some would whine even if it were free!

I'm confident that ANOVA can handle the current project! 

I can't wait to get mine!!!  :smile:

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

It pisses me off that they didn't come on here and tell us it was coming. We gave Jeff a TON of feedback and we didn't even get a chance at the $99 units. By the time I got the email, over 2,200 people had already pledged and all the cheap units were long gone. I can't believe that's how they treat their most loyal customers who just wanted to help them make a better product. Not happy at all!

Occurred to me too.

Jeff etal might consider an discount offer to those who contributed.

I can understand that. I believe I was the only user on the previous Anova thread (Anova Sous Vide thread - http://forums.egullet.org/topic/146244-anova-sous-vide-circulator-part-2) to suggest the connectivity + app approach (which I imagine was already in development before they requested feedback) so I had the moment of indignation as well. The indignation was even stronger when the Kickstarter sold out of the $99 price point before 7:30 am PST. But, I sucked it up, contributed at the $129 level, and did something needlessly compulsive. I refreshed periodically until someone, inconceivably canceled their $99 Founder's Club backing. I consider myself fortunate in that regard.

At the same time, the pricing on the new units (even with the later Kickstarter tiers) are a tremendous bargain in the current world of at-home sous vide. And as Jeff mentioned, I think Anova was in no way prepared for the massive show of support and quick time to sell out on the Founder's Club level.

As one other note for those considering the Hacker Special level. I inquired about warranty service on the prototype unit, and there are currently no plans for warranty support. If that is important to you, you may want to take it into consideration.

Edited by mercury529 (log)

Help me understand this.  The way I read this is that there is no actual product ready to ship, rather, people are getting in line and ponying up $$ to help fund the production and development of the product, and some people can, by making a contribution early enough, get the heater cheaper than others who made a contribution later.  Is that correct?  Is there a product that is ready to ship now? 

... Shel

That's how crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter work, Shel. The original home-use Anova is most certainly available - see the other Anova thread on eG. What we're talking about here is the Mk II, if you like, but the Mk I is a great machine.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

@Jeff that doesn't explain why you couldn't have come on here a couple days ago to tell us to watch for an announcement. Today was a pure shock. Why didn't you send an email to your followers yesterday to let us know? This blackout excuse is crap. I've backed many other Kickstarters that have sent an email at least a day before to their followers to warn them that the Kickstarter was going live sometime that next day. I'm sorry, but news media should not get first crack over your followers. We're the ones that made your machine successful, not the news media.

Give the guy a break - there's nothing that was done out of the ordinary or because they wanted to screw over their followers.

Anyone that doesn't like the way it was handled - well, don't buy the product.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Help me understand this.  The way I read this is that there is no actual product ready to ship, rather, people are getting in line and ponying up $$ to help fund the production and development of the product, and some people can, by making a contribution early enough, get the heater cheaper than others who made a contribution later.  Is that correct?  Is there a product that is ready to ship now? 

It's not actually a "heater."  It's a precision circulator.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That's how crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter work, Shel. The original home-use Anova is most certainly available - see the other Anova thread on eG. What we're talking about here is the Mk II, if you like, but the Mk I is a great machine.

Thanks for clarifying that.  So, some people are getting their knickers in a bunch over a product that doesn't yet exist. Anova, it seems, is selling blue sky.  Although it's clear that they do have a good reputation, there's only a promise of the MKII (I know about the MKI). It's possible that the described features and specs may change once production has started, yes?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

The prototype of the device exists, the review is in the first post.

I've backed up several kickstarter products so far, and the only bad experience was when product was not finished on time (teo months later) i think that anova woulh have a lot of law suits if the final product is different than advertised. Not to mention their reputation.

This is just a way to get investors. Why invest yourself, when you can find others to do i for you :)

The prototype of the device exists, the review is in the first post.

A prototype is not the final product.  Often the final product is different than the prototype.

Can the circulator be used if one doesn't have a smart phone?  Can I use it in my mountain cabin where there is no connectivity?

... Shel

Thanks for clarifying that.  So, some people are getting their knickers in a bunch over a product that doesn't yet exist. Anova, it seems, is selling blue sky.  Although it's clear that they do have a good reputation, there's only a promise of the MKII (I know about the MKI). It's possible that the described features and specs may change once production has started, yes?

With Kickstarter, you don't pay unless the project is successful

Think of it like investing in shares.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

With Kickstarter, you don't pay unless the project is successful

So, are you just pledging funds?  Or do the people who ordered the product send money to Anova or to an escrow account?  How does Anova physically get the money to continue working on and to produce the product?  They need the money in hand to pay staff, buy equipment and supplies, etc., don't they?

... Shel

If one does that, think of these words found on just about every prospectus I've ever read: past performance does not necessarily predict future results.  Stocks are always a gamble.

Exactly.  That's what I mean.

You invest [pledge] an amount to support the project.

As a thank you, if all goes well, you receive a reward depending on the amount pledged; the return on your investment.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Exactly.  That's what I mean.

You invest [pledge] an amount to support the project.

As a thank you, if all goes well, you receive a reward depending on the amount pledged; the return on your investment.

Thanks.  Between you and Leslie, I now have a much clearer understanding of the process.

... Shel

If the unit is as good as the fisrt model, it more than worth the money (especialy if you get it for 99$ :P )

The thing that closed the deal for me is free shipping wordwide, because i went trough hell and back to get it here in Croatia (anova does not ship to Croatia)

• Like 2

Shipping to Canada is normally about $80. So getting in at $129 means I'm getting the device for basically 50. Missed the opportunity to order two, even though already have a polyscience and anova v1. I like the idea of connectivity. It's a big throw down to polyscience.

Almost $700k backed now...

I guess I was fortunate being on European time. When I got the email from Anova (which I'm assuming anyone who has bought one would get), there were founder units available.

Just changed my pledge to the $229 offer.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

would the first on still be 'prototype' thus  +/- 'guaranteed ?'

sorry, should have looked:  that's different than the 'hacker' special

second would make a nice present !

Edited by rotuts (log)

Even if you're not planning on getting two, I suggest checking the kickstarter page often anyway. There are people who are switching from lower tier pledges to the $229 level. When I checked, there was a $135 and a $145 tier slot open.

PS: I am a guy.