• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Anova Precision Cooker Announced May 6, 2014

pmilas

It pisses me off that they didn't come on here and tell us it was coming. We gave Jeff a TON of feedback and we didn't even get a chance at the $99 units. By the time I got the email, over 2,200 people had already pledged and all the cheap units were long gone. I can't believe that's how they treat their most loyal customers who just wanted to help them make a better product. Not happy at all!

Occurred to me too.

Jeff etal might consider an discount offer to those who contributed.

Edited by gfweb (log)

I don't really mind that much.  I spotted the post here early, and unlike my 'let me think about it nature'  I just jumped right in.

so I got the 99.  

:raz:

i have the feeling Jeff Anova might not be high enough on the Totem to initiate what you wanted.

you could PM him and  ***  politely ***  suggest a different plan in the future.

Ive had PMs from him in the past.  He is pretty slow now in responding, but I bet he would.

It pisses me off that they didn't come on here and tell us it was coming. We gave Jeff a TON of feedback and we didn't even get a chance at the $99 units. By the time I got the email, over 2,200 people had already pledged and all the cheap units were long gone. I can't believe that's how they treat their most loyal customers who just wanted to help them make a better product. Not happy at all!

Agreed, or a simple post that alerted us to be ready for an announcement in our emails would have been great. Luckily I saw the post from Serious Eats on Facebook and was able to sneak in for the $99 unit, but just a simple heads up would have done a lot for trust after he solicited suggestions.

Not to mention I just ordered one a few days ago and it is expected to be delivered today. I'm unhappy about this because I called the company 3 times to find out if there was anything in the works down the road and received a mum response. I think the one I ordered will be going back and I'll wait until the new one comes out.

I understand your frustration. I've been lurking here to find out about the new model, but ended up seeing something about it on reddit instead. I pledged 135 limes for one anyway, though.

I also go an email from them this morning.....

ZkgC51W.png

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Wow.  I didn't get an email   :hmmm:  :blink:  :huh:

wait some more  :  I was not, until now, a Customer !

but I know Im Pretty Special

the other EPSS is a lot less interesting.

My goodness...this isn't a new Jarvik Heart we're talking about here...calm down!  :smile:

I got the email at ~10:00 AM.

Tue, May 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM to be exact.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Ive always found Time Zones a bit difficult.  and here we are now !

let them know how to improve their business.  

smile a bit more.  tomorrow is another day.  might be a bit worse.  just saying.

Well said!

I was one of the initial buyers of v1. I bought the Anova for $300 and it dropped to $200 a few weeks later. They were nice enough to send me the difference. For the extra $36 that I just paid on the Anova v2, I'm not terribly upset. Would it have been nicer to get it for $99, 100% yes, but $135 is still a great deal. 

Perhaps for v3, they can manage the launch a little better and give us a small heads up.

Can't wait till October, I really hope someone will use the SDK to develop a sousvide dash type of app for Android.... one can dream!  :raz:

you could move up to the iPhone.  or down.

i dont have one

yet.  

:biggrin:

in Oct Ill have a Big Problem.

I can see Google driving around with one of those Vacuum Cars, sucking all the Juice out of the Ether, and ruining my 

dinner. I cant stand Beef  ( its what's for dinner, after all ) at 132.5

Edited by rotuts (log)

Im not trying to 'beet a dead horse' here, but ....

has Anova added higher priced entry points, but still less than the projected 169 ?

it seems there are 159 slots ( 2 ) that are unlimited.  buy now save 10 bucks ?

do they just want some funds sooner than later ?

I can see a company w limited funds using this method to develop seed money, like perhaps like Nomiku

but an established company like Anova surely does not need this $$

are they siimply getting an interest free loan for product they will surely ship ?

many thanks

Hi Guys,

I appreciate everyone's support on this project.  Anyways we didn't expect 1K units @ $99 would be backed so quickly - thought it would take at least a 2-3 days to get through a thousand. 

Currently there are more funding levels being added in to create more time for you guys to get units at lower prices. 

Thanks

Jeff

• Like 2

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

BBQ Fanatic, Organic Gardener, Organic Grape Grower

FYI - We were also on a media blackout this morning so news media could get a first crack at the story.

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

do you mean 'no news media'  ?

what I meant was - we couldn't talk about the unit or post on social media / forums :P

Jeff Wu

Senior Engineer

Anova Culinary LLC

what I meant was - we couldn't talk about the unit or post on social media / forums :P

@Jeff that doesn't explain why you couldn't have come on here a couple days ago to tell us to watch for an announcement. Today was a pure shock. Why didn't you send an email to your followers yesterday to let us know? This blackout excuse is crap. I've backed many other Kickstarters that have sent an email at least a day before to their followers to warn them that the Kickstarter was going live sometime that next day. I'm sorry, but news media should not get first crack over your followers. We're the ones that made your machine successful, not the news media.

Jennifer

Apparently, I have my mom to thank for loving to cook. As she always says, "You should thank me for never cooking. It forced you to learn how!"

Congrats on such a quick Kickstarter success, Jeff!

Will you still be selling the old units when the new one is launched? I`m asking because I really like the one I bought last Fall, the 1Kw heater and 12L/min circulation are important features for the type of use I need it for.

I didn't realize that there's a promotion competition...what are the prizes???

On a serious note, this will be Anova's big test of customer service and public relations.  

Half a million dollars of pre-orders in 24 hours is pretty serious stuff and people are going to be expecting pretty regular updates on the project's progress.  So the boys and girls had better get their iPhones at the ready to start snapping shots of everything they can to keep their followers in the loop.  

What they need to remember is that Kickstarter is a community and the backers are going to want to be made to feel like part of the team.  

In the past, more than a few people have expressed disappointment that Anova's communication has not as been as forth coming as it might have been.  

I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew, because it's crunch time now. 

Me?  I'm going to forget about it and be taken half by surprise when a couple of early birthday presents arrive. 

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd