• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Contrived food holidays: What new one should we start?

In the US, "Cinco de Mayo" is effectively a contrived holiday for the express purposes of furthering the interests of the beer and liquor industry, and of course, Mexican-themed restaurants.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/05/03/5789676/the-cinco-de-mayo-battle-was-in.html

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/history-marketing-cinco-de-mayo

Halloween in the US is also another industry-driven holiday. As is Valentine's day, huge for the confections industry as well for the greeting cards industry. Easter, while not contrived, is a massive driver of the confections industry as well.

Fundamentally, I don't have a problem with contrived holidays. Any excuse to drink or to eat is a good one. But I'm thinking we need more opportunities for this.

Should we have holidays for Burgers? For Bacon? For Pizza? 

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)
  • Like 1

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bacon, definitely bacon.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Dia de los Puercos?

Okay, but what month? And what are the traditional dishes?

• Like 1

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I don't know which food they should revolve around, but I can tell you when they should be.

I was thinking about this the other night while explaining the true origins of Cinco de Mayo to a student, and how it was, well, as Jason explains.

In the US, CdM comes conveniently about halfway between two other food-related holidays: about six weeks after St. Patrick's Day, and four weeks before Independence Day (or Canada Day, for that matter). After that, we don't have another food holiday occasion until Labor Day (for those not in the States, the first Monday in September). So there's mos def an opportunity to wedge an occasion into early August. 

Then, food-holiday-wise, it's dry until Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October) or --even worse -- US Thanksgiving (late November). Seems like we need a floating holiday on a Friday in late September.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Bacon screams November to me because I can close my eyes and smell the aroma of a full smokehouse from November's long ago....but that conflicts with Thanksgiving so I don't know.....early November, maybe???  :cool:

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Offal is good.

Scrapple Sunday?

Headcheese Thursday?

Hog Maw Monday?

Souse Saturday?

Hawaii Day is the third Friday in August. Sounds like a good pork-based holiday.

• Like 3
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Hawaii Day is the third Friday in August. Sounds like a good pork-based holiday.

I like this. Loco Mocos, Spam Musubi. Kalua Pig. Now we need a way to bastardize this into a single food product or theme. Grilled Pineapple and Spam-topped and pulled pork topped burgers? Maybe something involving teryiaki sauce or Saimin noodles.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)
  • Like 1

Then, food-holiday-wise, it's dry until Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October) or --even worse -- US Thanksgiving (late November). Seems like we need a floating holiday on a Friday in late September.

Dude, ALL the Jewish holidays are in late September. And they are both food holidays. Bagel Day. Brisket Day.

I'v got it. We'll take over Groundhog's Day and serve pork-sausage-based dishes. What sides would be appropriate to reference the prarie states?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

In my part of the Southern Hemisphere we have a drought of public holidays (aka long weekends) from Queen's Birthday at the beginning of June until Labour day around the end of October.  There have been suggestions that we fill the gap with a celebration of Matariki, the Maori New Year, but that's also in June.  Not that I'm ever going to object to a long weekend.

About the best we can do is pretend we're actually in the Northern Hemisphere and have a midwinter Christmas around the end of June.  The politicians don't seem to want to declare a day off for this noble purpose, however.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I'v got it. We'll take over Groundhog's Day and serve pork-sausage-based dishes. What sides would be appropriate to reference the prarie states?

Yep, my Dad has promoted ground hog day for years! LOL

I hate to mention wikipedia, but there is an entire entry dedicated to the crazy-long list of national food days, virtually all of which are USA ones (there is no day in July that is not dedicated some food; the 28th is hamburger day).

Dude, ALL the Jewish holidays are in late September. And they are both food holidays. Bagel Day. Brisket Day.

What?! Can it be that you've forgotten Hanuka Hannuka Hanukka Hannukka Hanukah Hannukah Hanukkah Hannukkah Chanuka Channuka Chanukka Channukka Chanukah Channukah Chanukkah Channukkah the festival of lights delicious fried things?

• Like 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Wikipedia is missing some entries, here is a more complete list of American food holidays.

I suggest 'Eat Like a Pirate Day' - take a large group of friends out to eat, and spend lots of money and give generous tips (maybe include a piece of jewelry with the tip), like a pirate ship crew on shore leave after scoring a big haul. Pirate attire optional.

• Like 1

I suggest 'Eat Like a Pirate Day' - take a large group of friends out to eat, and spend lots of money and give generous tips (maybe include a piece of jewelry with the tip), like a pirate ship crew on shore leave after scoring a big haul. Pirate attire optional.

If I'm going out on Eat Like a Pirate Day with a large group of friends to spend a lot of money and give generous tips that include jewelry, pirate attire is not optional... they're damn well going to wear it. :biggrin: 

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

What about Apple Pie?  What can be more American?  And late summer seems to be good time for it.  Complete with apple cider, apple bobbing contest, and watching American Pie movie.

if the holiday is going to be N/America based, it has to involve the BBQ and outdoor food.

I like the idea that it be pork based.

although 4 July and Labor Day are BBQ based, so what ?

always good to get the BBQ going.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Great idea!  Of course, it has to be on September 19, "International Talk Like A Pirate Day".  (This link goes to the first annual singalong video.  :laugh: )

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Bacon is on it's way. Perhaps several local bacon festivals will eventually go national . 

There is one in Eugene, Des Moines, Maryland and there is one in Kansas City too.

http://baconfestkc.com/

http://www.kval.com/news/local/Bacon-Fest-celebrates-all-things-bacon-258041421.html

Also bacon and bourbon seem to have become a popular party theme.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Should we have holidays for Burgers? For Bacon? For Pizza? 

National Hamburger Day is May 28th.

http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-hamburger-day

There are a few different "Pizza Days". September 5 is National Cheese Pizza Day, November 12 is National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day, and February 9 is National Pizza Pie Day. Then the entire month of October is National Pizza Month. I guess it can't be limited to just one day!

And then there's International Bacon Day: http://bacon.wikia.com/wiki/International_Bacon_Day

... Shel

August seems ripe for a food holiday. There's a big no-U.S. holiday gap from July 4th through Labor Day (first Monday in September).

And I vote for it being bacon-themed:

"A day without bacon is like a day without bacon." - Fat Guy (click)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver