• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

In the April issue of the Oprah magazine Gayle King mentions getting some merveilleux, a pastry she had never heard of before. Neither had I, so Bing to the rescue I had hoped, but all I really found out was its a meringue and whipped cream concoction. Has anyone heard of this? Any links for recipes? Is it as wonderful tasting as it sounds?

They've been popping up all over France for a while now- I just saw a Merveilleux shop in Lille this weekend.  They're pretty basic, just meringue and buttercream covered with chocolate shavings.  I don't really understand why people go crazy for them.  You see lines snaking out the door.

It just seems odd that in a place with the best pastry in the world you'd queue up for meringue and buttercream.

Here's a recipe in French. (If you need help with translation, just give a shout-out, there are several here who can help!)

Oh yes, please can somebody do a translation, it would be greatly appreciated. John.

Here I found on a blog a much more detailed recipe from Pierre Marcolini.

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks all. Sounds like a dessert for Mother's Day to me. Seems like, in a basic sense, a pavlova without the fruit and covered with shavings/crumbs to me. Am I right? Since I'm not a fluent French reader, can someone tell me if it is a buttercream or just whipped cream layered with the meringue?

Thanks all. Sounds like a dessert for Mother's Day to me. Seems like, in a basic sense, a pavlova without the fruit and covered with shavings/crumbs to me. Am I right? Since I'm not a fluent French reader, can someone tell me if it is a buttercream or just whipped cream layered with the meringue?

The two recipes linked here are one of each, one with buttercream and one with whipped cream. If you copy the URL, paste it in google and hit "search", it will list the page in the search results with an option to "translate this page". I've dealt with enough recipes in French that I can get by now but using the google translate option, while not perfect, makes the job much easier.

French is not my first language and I do struggle with correct translations. Google will translate but it's not perfect, as Tri2Cook says. Here's what I get running it through Google Translate:

·        1 day 4 hours

Ingredients

·        5 eggs, separated

·        1 pinch of salt

·        400 g of powdered sugar, divided

·        Butter 200 g

·        3 cups water  ?????  (originally 3 cl d'eau)

·        3 tablespoons of cocoa powder

·        Chocolate shavings and icing sugar for decoration

Method of preparation

Preparation: 1 day>  Cooking time: 4 hours>  Ready in: 1 day 4 hours 

Preparation of the meringue:

1.     Preheat oven to 130 ° C (thermostat 4/5). Break 4 eggs, separate the yolks from the whites.Keep the yellow in the refrigerator for the next day. Add 1 pinch of salt to the whites and beat until stiff.

2.     When the whites are firm, add continuing to mix 250 g caster sugar 5 times. The mixture becomes syrupy (consistency marshmallow cream).

3.     On a plate, put parchment paper, then take a small circular mold. Put the meringue into the molds and make several circles (with the amount obtained, it is possible to make 12 pieces). I used a mold of 7 cm diameter 3.5 cm high and I put 1 to 1.5 cm of foam.

4.     Put together in the oven for 3:30 to 3:45. Once cooked, let set in the oven overnight.

The next day, prepare the buttercream chocolate.

5.     Collect yellow and add a fifth yellow. Mix and set aside. Remove the butter from the fridge 2 hours before. When it is softened, cut into pieces and make an ointment with a spoon.

6.     Put in a pan of water and 150 g of sugar to prepare the sugar syrup. Heat quickly aspect changes. Prepare a bowl of cold water next to the pot.

7.     Dip your fingers in cold water and then quickly cooked in sugar. Immediately return fingers in cold water and wait for the syrup to cool. The consistency of sugar between his fingers indicate doneness, here a small stream 105 ° C.

8.     We then cut cooking pan is quenched in cold water to cut the temperature rise. Then poured sugar in mixing the yolks. Beat slowly and accelerate to get a ribbon. Stir several times the butter and continue mixing. Then add chocolate powder several times.

9.     Take a meringue, top coat with butter cream, place a second meringue. Napper and the contour of the above cream. Sprinkle chocolate chips and sugar. Do the same for the rest of the meringues. Refrigerate several hours for the butter cream freezes. Good tasting.

I do think that the translation of 3 cl to 3 cups of water is wrong. I think it's more likely that it should be 3 cl or 3 centiliters which is 30 ml or close to 2 Tbsp. Can anyone else comment on this? 

Also, as jmachaughtan says, they are basically just meringue and French buttercream, so you can always search for techniques for making these individual items as well. 

For example, here is a nice little post on how to make French buttercream - I liked it because it shows something going wrong and how to correct it.  

http://www.joepastry.com/category/pastry-components/buttercream/french-buttercream/

Edited by FauxPas (log)

FauxPas, thanks for that and the further link to the French buttercream. And yes, 3 cl is 30 ml which is 2 metric tablespoons. I will try and give it a go next week! John.

If anybody follows the method for the French buttercream in the joepastry.com link above, it has an error in it. It mentions, when making the sugar syrup:

"While the mixer is going, prepare your sugar syrup. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring them up to 248 degrees Fahrenheit."

I think the temperature should be 238 degrees F, which is the softball stage (114 C). John.

If anybody follows the method for the French buttercream in the joepastry.com link above, it has an error in it. It mentions, when making the sugar syrup:

"While the mixer is going, prepare your sugar syrup. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and bring them up to 248 degrees Fahrenheit."

I think the temperature should be 238 degrees F, which is the softball stage (114 C). John.

Are you sure?  248°F (120°C) sounds right to me.  You're essentially making a pâte à bombe, so you'd want the sugar to cook to 118-121°C, like for an Italian meringue.

I'd also recommend making an Italian meringue and folding it into the finished buttercream.  It lightens it up.

Edited by jmacnaughtan (log)

French is not my first language and I do struggle with correct translations. Google will translate but it's not perfect, as Tri2Cook says. Here's what I get running it through Google Translate:

I do think that the translation of 3 cl to 3 cups of water is wrong. I think it's more likely that it should be 3 cl or 3 centiliters which is 30 ml or close to 2 Tbsp. Can anyone else comment on this? 

Also, as jmachaughtan says, they are basically just meringue and French buttercream, so you can always search for techniques for making these individual items as well. 

For example, here is a nice little post on how to make French buttercream - I liked it because it shows something going wrong and how to correct it.  

http://www.joepastry.com/category/pastry-components/buttercream/french-buttercream/

For the record: 

3cl = 30ml = 30g of water (it's easier to weigh small amounts like that), but for this application you're going to boil off most of the water anyway, so accuracy isn't very important.

Sucre en poudre is not powdered or icing sugar.  Depending on your country, it's either caster or superfine sugar.  

• Like 1

Are you sure? 248°F (120°C) sounds right to me. You're essentially making a pâte à bombe, so you'd want the sugar to cook to 118-121°C, like for an Italian meringue.

I'd also recommend making an Italian meringue and folding it into the finished buttercream. It lightens it up.

No, I am not sure and maybe I should have said that it "appears" to have an error in it. There are two reasons I say this. The first is that a recipe I have for French buttercream, which I have made a number of times, says to bring the sugar syrup to 115C and immediately cool the pan to prevent the temperature rising. Secondly, I looked at the photograph with the thermometer in it reading 239.8F and the caption says "Oops, a little too hot".

So I am not sure - maybe a bit confused and trying to ascertain a correct temperature. I think what I will do next week is experiment and make two batches - one at 114C and one at 120C - and see the difference in the results. John

Edited by JohnT (log)

Can somebody who has actually made or eaten a Merveilleux please assist: is the meringue dry throughout or is it the type that is a bit "chewy" in the centre? I have never eaten a Merveilleux (or seen one other than in a photograph), so have no idea. I will be doing the meringues tonight and would like to ensure that they turn out correctly.

On another point, referred to in posts above, I wrote to "Joe Pastry" and received a reply that the temperature of 248F was a typo and they have rectified the error to read 238F on the web page. John.

Edited by JohnT (log)

• Similar Content

• By pastrygirl
      If so, what was it like?  Sounds similar to kouign-aman ... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-44486529

• By highchef
      we're all used to the Wednesday/Sunday food sections of newspapers far and wide, national and local. I see corrections in the local or regional columns when called for, but there's never a way to critique the ones published on a national scale because the content is behind a paywall. I get the WSJ, but don't want to pay additional (I should get access to it all on line for free-the newspaper is not cheap) for their online edition. Very frustrating to try a recipe and have major problems with it and not be able to point out some serious issues. Specifically, the WSJ published a recipe from Dee Retalli, a pastry chef in London who's recipe is in the cookbook 'Rustic' by Jorge Fernandez and Rich Wells. 
      I have made this cake 3 times.
      First time was a total runover disaster, which I should have foreseen. This cakes calls for a 10" springform or if you don't have that, a 10" cast iron skillet. I went for the latter because that is what I had. Almond mixtures tend to really smoke when they run over, just so you know.
      Tried again later with a deeper than normal 9 " springform. Happened again. Think it has to do with the 2 teaspoons of baking powder and quick activation in a 350º oven.
      Invested in a 10" springform for '3rd times a charm' try. I was successful, but not because I followed the directions, rather I became a little obsessed with making this work. Checked my oven, followed with the recipe and eyed it warily. It came up to the brim...and stayed. 45 minutes later it was supposed to be done but while it was beautiful, it was a bowl of jello in the center. It was also browning at an alarming rate- the almond flour again? So I placed a sheet of tinfoil over it (beautiful top crust) and turned the oven down to 325º and carefully watched and tested for almost another hour. That's a big time difference. 
      I found the recipe on cooked.com - credited to the above authors and cookbook albeit in Euro style measures and temps. All seems the same, so what are the odds that the recipe was misprinted twice from 2 different media?
      All I can think of is somewhere down the line (in the cookbook itself?) the cook time and temp were off. The time on both reads 45 min. The recipe took at least 1hr and 45 minutes. methinks someone left out the hour...
      The temp. thing is a little more obvious. Celcius to farenheight 350ºF does not equal 180ºC, more like 176ºC. Over almost 2 hours, I think that could make the difference between cooked and burnt? Sooo, I turned it down when I saw how fast it was browning to 325.
      The cake stays in form while you pour the honey over it, then orange water, then 2(!!!) cups of sliced toasted almonds. I put 1 cup and there is no way another cup would have stayed on that cake. I cup settled up to almost an inch on a 10" cake...
      Has anyone else tried this recipe or have the cookbook? It's a wonderful cake if you correct the time and temp., But I'd be really curious to see if anyone followed it exactly as written with success?

• By Longblades
      How much minute tapioca do you use to thicken pie fillings? I read through every one of the rhubarb pie posts and no, the recommended amount is NOT on the box I just purchased.
      I will be making rhubarb pie but also apple, sour cherry, raspberry and blueberry later in the season. I will freeze most of the pies, unbaked, but would appreciate knowing what amounts you use for immediate baking as well. Also, I will be using tinfoil pie plates that say they are 10" but I think are really more like 9 inchers. They certainly do not hold anywhere near as much as my 10" pyrex pie plate.
      I tried tapicoa years and years ago and decided I preferred flour but my sister now has a gluten allergy so I'm going to try tapioca again. That way she can at least scrape out the filling and eat it. Can I just substitute equal amounts of minute tapioca for the flour?
      My method with the flour has been to mix it with the sugar and sprinkle some on the bottom crust, then a layer of fresh fruit. then a sprinkle of flour/sugar, with usually only two of three layers of fruit and finishing with a sprinkle of the flour/sugar. Can I do that with the tapioca?
      Oh, and strawberries in the rhubarb pie? No way, DH would kill me. Rhubarb is his favourite and he says strawberries contaminate a rhubarb pie.
    • By artiesel
      I work at a small business with about 25 employees where we make chocolates, popcorn and caramels.  In capacity as head chocolatier I have to work with our facilities supervisor to develop a food safety testing plan for the facility.

Right now we are developing a plan to do the following: swab with ATP detectors to see if bacterial activity is present, test for Aerobic Plate Count bacteria (APC),  and swabbing for the presence of nut proteins to verify our cleaning protocols are sufficient to eliminate nut allergens and test the floor drains for the presence of listeria.

Does anyone have any experience with food safety testing in chocolate plants??  If so, is there anything else that you think we need to be testing for?
    • By pastrygirl
      Cake construction question - I have a wedding cake order next month for about 175 people.  I think it's going to be 14" round, 12" round, double-height 9" round, and a separated 6" layer with her great-grandma's cake topper.

My question is about the double-height layer.  Should I layer cake and filling as usual  but just make it super tall, or will whomever has to cut the thing appreciate it if there's a goo-free zone of cake-cardboard-cake in the middle so they can separate it into 2 x 9" cakes or more easily cut it?  I mean, I could make two regular layers with 5 layers of cake and 4 layers of filling, not frost the top of one and just stack the other on top, or I could make one giant cake with 10 layers of cake, 9 filling, and no cardboard in the middle.  I almost never have to cut cakes so I don't know if it matters but I thought I'd ask.  The filling will either be salty caramel or raspberry, and the icing will be meringue buttercream, not as sturdy to handle as a crusting icing or fondant.

Or any other tips on giant wedding cakes?  Thanks!