• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint Pesto Ideas

Chris Hennes

As usual at this time of year I'm overrun with mint: I've stolen many ideas from the "Mint: Uses and Storage" topic, including the Mint Pesto that purplewiz posted about here. I'm looking for other ideas for mint pesto now, particularly those that would stand alone served on pasta. Do you all make mint-based pesto? What do you put in it?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For pasta I would probably mix in some other greens like spinach and a few oregano or parsley leaves; mint on its own could be a bit full-on. It seems to go well with piquant flavours so a sharp goat or ewe's milk for the cheese. Pistachios, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I would serve that on ravioli stuffed with peas.

• Like 1

I've never tried a mint pesto, gonna have to investigate that one. I did a catnip pesto (actually, catnip and fresh peas) once and it was actually pretty tasty. Had a mint note to it so I don't know why I didn't make the connection to a mint pesto.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like plantes vertes ideas. It comes to my mind the "cullurgiones" the sardinian ravioli with potatoes, pecorino and mint (mint added only in some areas). I also would use it with some zucchini or favas for a pasta dish. I can see it with shrimps or tuna.

You can check also A. Nguyen mint chutney on her dumpling cookbook.

Not pesto, exactly, but zombies and mai tais run through a lot of mint.  I assure you.

I went shopping for mint plants today but was overwhelmed by the number of different varieties of mint and gave up.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Not pesto, exactly, but zombies and mai tais run through a lot of mint.  I assure you.

I went shopping for mint plants today but was overwhelmed by the number of different varieties of mint and gave up.

Don't forget Mint Juleps. :-)

I assume you are talking about Mentha species, not other "mint-like" species.  Spearmint, peppermint, those sorts.  Try some Vietnamese dishes - peppermint (Húng Cay) and spearmint (Húng Lũi) are used frequently (and often generously when used) in the cuisine.

How about some herb salads?

As for mint pesto - I've not made it myself but have sampled it made by local chefs. I think mint by itself is fine, just add more cheese maybe.  Pecorino Romano sounds good.  How about combining it with arugula as an alternative "diluting green"?

Edited by huiray (log)

I like a mint-anchovies pesto. First time we made it out of necessity, but now when we have abundant mint (still a month or two to go here) it's a favorite.

Mint-walnut with Parmesan is not bad either, but generally I have long run out of walnuts by the time our mint has grown well enough.

For pasta I would probably mix in some other greens like spinach and a few oregano or parsley leaves; mint on its own could be a bit full-on. It seems to go well with piquant flavours so a sharp goat or ewe's milk for the cheese. Pistachios, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I would serve that on ravioli stuffed with peas.

And garlic, of course.