• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dandelion Tops Edible?

Paul Bacino

I did a search.. but just came up with " Dandelion Greens "

What of the tops?  Someone told me to fry them like mushrooms?

Interesting..  Thoughts on usage.. no wine .. not happening

Paul

Its good to have Morels

You can ferment the flowers and make wine and that's about it as far as I know.

I can't imagine they are tasty cooked alone or tossed in salad.

Edited by annabelle (log)

Aren't they a diuretic?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The yellow flowers...yes

Are they not what you mean by the tops?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

DANDELION ................................................................... Taraxacum officinale. Native to North America and Eurasia, all parts of the dandelion plant are edible. The flowers comprise multiple small florets held aloft on a composite flower head. This mighty flower is a power pack of nutrients including Vitamins A, C and K. They go well in salads and  match well with blue flowers such as Borage or Chicory.

"Edible Flowers & Leaves", The Culinary Library, Vol.2. Pub. Amazon 2013. D & P Gramp.

Edited by TheCulinaryLibrary (log)

I grow the "French" dandelions that have much longer and more tender leaves.  And they are slower to "bolt" or produce flowers, even in the heat of the desert, than ordinary dandelions.  They have a pretty blue flower that is also edible - slightly sweet. 

They are very tasty in salads, as cooked greens and they make a nice decorative container plant.  Some of the leaves will grow to two feet - although I pick them at about a foot long. 

They are easy to grow in almost any soil and once you have them, you can save the seeds for future generations.

The roots have long been used as a safe diuretic as the compounds do not cause loss of potassium as other diuretics do. 

Seeds

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard about a new use for dandelion petals in today's episode of The Splendid Table: Dandelion Petal Sorbet.  

The link above goes to the recipe posted on The Splendid Table's web site.  The recipe is adapted from The Herb Farm Cookbook, by Jerry Traunfeld.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Many years ago I had a book by Euell Gibbons who was a proponent of natural diets. If I recall correctly, he said that the young dandelion leaves were edible and I think he said the roots could be roasted, ground and used as a substitute for coffee.  I think I have a recipe around here somewhere for dandelion flower wine. 

edit PS: I could probably make around 5 gallons of wine from my neighbors dandelions. :)

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

I think I have all of Euell Gibbons books.  In the early '70s I took the kids on a couple of "wild foraging" hikes led by a young man, a Native American, in the hills above the San Gabriel valley.

He mentioned that man that he considered a wild-foods "hero" -  Euell Gibbons - was going to be given a talk at Pasadena City college the following month so a friend and I attended.

He was a good speaker, interspersing humorous stories in with his factual accounts and observations.  That prompted me to buy the books then in print - and later his last book, published after he died suddenly. 

It reminded me of the many "wild" foods that were gathered when I was a child as western Kentucky abounds with many fine wild or semi-wild edibles. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett