• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

mrk

Best chocolate cake books?

I'm wondering what you recommend as the best books about France chocolate cakes or great chocolate? Thank

I don't think I've seen a book that is only about French chocolate cakes.  There aren't many books that are only on chocolate cakes, as Chris says it's pretty specific!  

One older book I can think of is a compilation of 50 chocolate cake recipes that were featured in the weekly food section of our local paper.  Some of the contributors are very well respected chefs and I'm sure they're all delicious.  I guess you can order it from overseas...

In addition to the Herme, I like Maida Heatter's chocolate dessert book, which contains many excellent cakes

I have Pierre Herme's Chocolate Desserts, which is a nice collection of classic French desserts with detailed instructions by Dorie Greenspan. Most of the recipes are a bit involved. The few that I tried were very nice - the macarons of course, the truffles, and the chocolate hazelnut dacquoise which is sublime.

Did this book have English version??

I have not seen one, I ordered off UK amazon and the french language book was the only one offered. For recipes, I trust my own translations more than the publishers, not sure what QA they put the translations through but I have seen some bad ones in other books. I don't speak french at all but the grammar for recipes is quite simple fortunately.

Unfortunately, that just French version.

I want get some advice for chocolate book, I have "Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner" and "making artisan chocolates" already, Should I get "Couture Chocolate: A Masterclass in Chocolate" this book to enhance chocolate technique and knowledge? this book content would a lot of part same as other book I already had? Thank

Unfortunately, that just French version.

I want get some advice for chocolate book, I have "Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner" and "making artisan chocolates" already, Should I get "Couture Chocolate: A Masterclass in Chocolate" this book to enhance chocolate technique and knowledge? this book content would a lot of part same as other book I already had? Thank

The Couture Chocolate book by William Curley is very good but this is not a 'french book' other than in title. The authors are based in London and there is a strong Japanese influence from the author's wife. They are about to release a patisserie book so you may want to wait and see what that contains.  

I have had success with everything I have made but i bought it primarily for the chocolate confection recipes. I would say it is aimed at the home chocolate maker who does not want to purchase a large amount of equipment. Table tempering and seeding are covered but there is very little trouble-shooting content.

I treat it as a recipe book rather than a techniques book.

The US Amazon.com page for Chocolat is also for the French version, and I can't turn up any translations. lapin d'or, is this primarily a book of recipes, or is there a lot of supplemental text?

Well no, there is not a lot of text but many of the 'base recipes' at the beginning have have several step by step photos to demonstrate the process. Quite a few of the recipes are very much dessert type cakes or mousses and there are some ice creams too. 

The Couture Chocolate book by William Curley is very good but this is not a 'french book' other than in title. The authors are based in London and there is a strong Japanese influence from the author's wife. They are about to release a patisserie book so you may want to wait and see what that contains.  

I have had success with everything I have made but i bought it primarily for the chocolate confection recipes. I would say it is aimed at the home chocolate maker who does not want to purchase a large amount of equipment. Table tempering and seeding are covered but there is very little trouble-shooting content.

I treat it as a recipe book rather than a techniques book.

Thank you

yes,this is not a 'french book', I find out this book cause I saw a special recipe form book and I am curious, I admire who make awesome confectionery. and this "Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry"

Does anyone know this book English version http://www.amazon.ca/ENCYCLOPÉDIE-DU-CHOCOLAT-L-COLLECTIF/dp/2081237245

Thank

It's the same book as the French version previously linked here.

Thank all of you, I wondering the book of Encyclopedie du Chocolat is France version, the English version is " cooking with chocolate essential recipes and techniques " ?? Thank

Edited by Franci (log)

It's the same book as the French version previously linked here.

:shock: oh Sorry, I forgot....

• Similar Content

• By highchef
      we're all used to the Wednesday/Sunday food sections of newspapers far and wide, national and local. I see corrections in the local or regional columns when called for, but there's never a way to critique the ones published on a national scale because the content is behind a paywall. I get the WSJ, but don't want to pay additional (I should get access to it all on line for free-the newspaper is not cheap) for their online edition. Very frustrating to try a recipe and have major problems with it and not be able to point out some serious issues. Specifically, the WSJ published a recipe from Dee Retalli, a pastry chef in London who's recipe is in the cookbook 'Rustic' by Jorge Fernandez and Rich Wells. 
      I have made this cake 3 times.
      First time was a total runover disaster, which I should have foreseen. This cakes calls for a 10" springform or if you don't have that, a 10" cast iron skillet. I went for the latter because that is what I had. Almond mixtures tend to really smoke when they run over, just so you know.
      Tried again later with a deeper than normal 9 " springform. Happened again. Think it has to do with the 2 teaspoons of baking powder and quick activation in a 350º oven.
      Invested in a 10" springform for '3rd times a charm' try. I was successful, but not because I followed the directions, rather I became a little obsessed with making this work. Checked my oven, followed with the recipe and eyed it warily. It came up to the brim...and stayed. 45 minutes later it was supposed to be done but while it was beautiful, it was a bowl of jello in the center. It was also browning at an alarming rate- the almond flour again? So I placed a sheet of tinfoil over it (beautiful top crust) and turned the oven down to 325º and carefully watched and tested for almost another hour. That's a big time difference. 
      I found the recipe on cooked.com - credited to the above authors and cookbook albeit in Euro style measures and temps. All seems the same, so what are the odds that the recipe was misprinted twice from 2 different media?
      All I can think of is somewhere down the line (in the cookbook itself?) the cook time and temp were off. The time on both reads 45 min. The recipe took at least 1hr and 45 minutes. methinks someone left out the hour...
      The temp. thing is a little more obvious. Celcius to farenheight 350ºF does not equal 180ºC, more like 176ºC. Over almost 2 hours, I think that could make the difference between cooked and burnt? Sooo, I turned it down when I saw how fast it was browning to 325.
      The cake stays in form while you pour the honey over it, then orange water, then 2(!!!) cups of sliced toasted almonds. I put 1 cup and there is no way another cup would have stayed on that cake. I cup settled up to almost an inch on a 10" cake...
      Has anyone else tried this recipe or have the cookbook? It's a wonderful cake if you correct the time and temp., But I'd be really curious to see if anyone followed it exactly as written with success?

• By SilverstoneBakehouse
      Hello, my name is Matthew and ever since university I've been working with racing cars but am now looking to start making filled bonbons to finally scratch an itch that has just never gone away since I first successfully tempered a batch of chocolate.

I recently commissioned the creation of some custom moulds, shaped like racing helmets, with a view to supplying my filled bonbon creations to racing teams, as potential gifts for sponsors and hospitality guests. I plan to emulate some classic helmet designs (like Senna's helmet for my caramel) and also offer customisation, for any drivers who want the chocolates to resemble their own helmet designs.

The custom moulds will be produced in 40 shore silicone (FDA approved), with each mould weighing 2KG, sized somewhere around 250mm square and including 20 helmet cavities. I have also purchased a Chocovision Rev2, tabletop vibrating platform, airbrush and loads of other odds and sods to assist in the process. 

I won't receive the moulds until later this week (hopefully) but have been doing loads of practicing and research into how I could utlilise coloured cocoa butter to create various effects on the finished product. Does anyone know of any books that are filled with graphical explanations of this, something along the lines of "by using X tool and Y technique, you can produce Z result"?

My main concern is that the moulds will be difficult to decorate due to the limited accessibility of the cavity (my own fault I guess). Unlike a sphere mould where you can pipe straight lines easily, with helmet shaped cavities its a much more complex and time consuming process. I have included a couple of photos of a test helmet I cast last week. Please note that I gave little thought to the decoration of this piece, it was really just to test out whether 40 shore silicone would be too stiff for removal of the chocolate from the mould.

I would appreciate any advice you are able and willing to provide, as I embark on this new adventure.

Thanks

Matthew

• By Sue PEI
      I'm late to the game - anyone have any ideas for Father's Day? And I refuse to make to make chocolate golf balls. 
    • By artiesel
      I work at a small business with about 25 employees where we make chocolates, popcorn and caramels.  In capacity as head chocolatier I have to work with our facilities supervisor to develop a food safety testing plan for the facility.

Right now we are developing a plan to do the following: swab with ATP detectors to see if bacterial activity is present, test for Aerobic Plate Count bacteria (APC),  and swabbing for the presence of nut proteins to verify our cleaning protocols are sufficient to eliminate nut allergens and test the floor drains for the presence of listeria.

Does anyone have any experience with food safety testing in chocolate plants??  If so, is there anything else that you think we need to be testing for?
    • By SweetandSnappyJen
      Hi Folks:

First time poster here!  (Although I browse the content quite often). I've been making filled chocolates for a while, but have stuck with fairly simple ganache-like fillings. I'm trying to up my game a bit, but I'm having some trouble understanding at which temperature certain fillings should be piped in. I'm using Grewling's guide to the temperature at which to pipe in fillings and he refers to 'room temperature', 'warm' and 'hot'. What is 'warm' and what is 'hot'? I'm guessing 'hot' can't be hotter than 90F, as it will melt the shell? I'm currently making a jelly that i'd like to pipe in, layering with a ganache, but the jelly is still at 98F and setting pretty quickly, on the road to un-pipeable. Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jen