• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Cookbooks

liuzhou

That is an awful lot of mushroom soup recipes.   Are there any there that are particular favourites of yours? 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 10/04/2016 at 6:15 PM, Anna N said:

That is an awful lot of mushroom soup recipes.   Are there any there that are particular favourites of yours? 

There are few, if any, I wouldn't eat but I tend to go for the chicken ones, but less so for the wood ear recipes. Wood ears are OK, but all texture rather than taste. I do use them occasionally.

I'm planning on a mushroom soup for tomorrow, but it will be a combination of some of these recipes rather than any particular one.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

There are few, if any, I wouldn't eat but I tend to go for the chicken ones, but less so for the wood ear recipes. Wood ears are OK, but all texture rather than taste. I douse them occasionally.

I'm planning on a mushroom soup for tomorrow, but it will be a combination of some of these recipes rather than any particular one.

Thanks. I am inclined to the same old, same old cream of mushroom soup which is not to be sneezed at but seems less than adventurous after reading this list!   Although I am seeing more and more fresh mushroom varieties in the markets here the selection pales in comparison to what is available in China. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. I am inclined to the same old, same old cream of mushroom soup which is not to be sneezed at but seems less than adventurous after reading this list!   Although I am seeing more and more fresh mushroom varieties in the markets here the selection pales in comparison to what is available in China. 

I know how lucky I am to have the range of mushrooms that I do. Isn't it odd. The common button mushroom is uncommon here! In fact, I can get more mushrooms than this book covers. Many of which I can't identify.

I certainly wouldn't sneeze at same old cream of mushroom soup, either. Believe it or not I can, if I choose, get Mr. Campbell's canned stuff here. I don't choose!

• 2 years later...

I work in a library.  Finally pangs of guilt compelled me to return Kian Lam Kho's Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees.  (Not that I don't own a Kindle copy.)

A friend picked up the book and admired it.  I showed her what I had made and she pointed out recipes for similar dishes that she liked.  "I only wish it were written in Chinese!" she added.  (Not that we don't have a cookbook section in Mandarin.)  Sadly English is not her primary language.  She said instead of "add half a teaspoon" a Chinese cookbook would say "add some".

She offered to help me source ingredients!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

She said instead of "add half a teaspoon" a Chinese cookbook would say "add some".

Yes, normal. Or sometimes, ”add the correct amount”. And then ”cook until cooked.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, normal. Or sometimes, ”add the correct amount”. And then ”cook until cooked.

No ambiguity there!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog