• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Cream with Liquid Nitrogen vs. Dry Ice

I've been making ice cream using Dry Ice since it's producing much better results than my cuisinart ice cream maker and fairly easily available. What I'm wondering is if Liquid Nitrogen would be more cost effective. Dry Ice can be found in a minimum of 10 lb blocks which cost about $1 per lb (sometimes a little less). And since it melts we usually make a couple different ice cream bases ahead of time and go a buy the stuff and then make it. So while I enjoy making ice cream this way, it adds about $5 to the cost.

Would liquid nitrogen cost more up front? How much do you need per batch of ice cream? How fast does it dissipate? Lots of questions but I'm just trying to figure out which method makes more sense. The results of dry ice ice cream are great so it's not really important to me if liquid nitrogen is superior results if it's more expensive.

Thanks!