• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choosing a chamber sealer: how often do you use the accessory port?

I'm looking into getting a chamber sealer, and was pretty interested in the Vacmaster 215. However, it does not have an accessory port.

Since I don't have a sealer yet and don't know all the tricks it can do, I am not even sure if I'd miss it... but if I am spending a bunch of money, I'd like the most versatile unit possible.

Would you rather have the more durable, more powerful 215, or the less commercial-grade 112 with the accessory port? Or is there another unit around the price of the 215 that I could consider?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Personally the only thing I did with my accessory port when I had a foodsaver was vacuuming some mason jars. On the VP215 you can put the smaller mason jars in the chamber if you want to do that. I personally would (and did!) choose the 215 over the 112 or 210 because it's the only one in that price range with an oil based vacuum pump instead of a dry one. Which will give a higher vacuum level when you need it and a more durable machine.