• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Pressure Cooked Polenta

Anonymous Modernist 18549

I have made this twice now and while the result has been quite tasty, I feel like I am doing something wrong. After cooking the polenta in two 16 oz Mason jars, it appears that much of the milk has escaped into the pot. The resulting polenta is quite dense and requires a bit of work (starting with a potato masher) to finish the recipe. The resulting dish is very thick. Is this expected?

Are you cooling your pressure cooker by running cold water on it (or using some sort of quick-release/steam release)? If so, try letting the pressure come down on its own. I've found when doing Garlic Confit that if I tried to lower the pressure too fast, the sudden change of pressure in the pressure cooker caused the liquid in the mason pots to rush out (presumably because of a pressure difference between the insides of the pots vs the inside of the pressure cooker).

Allowing pressure to come down naturally solved this problem for me.

Hi Aclamann,

I've made this recipe quite a few times using quick release and haven't encountered this problem. At the end of cooking time when you would be using the quick release method, the cooking liquid should essentially be absorbed. I would think that cooking liquid is escaping during the cooking process.

The recipe calls for water/stock rather than milk. Perhaps the milk is foaming and thus escaping from the jar. I wouldn't add any dairy until after cooking. The milk could also scorch/burn and adversely affect the end product.

I'd try with water/stock and see if that remedies the problem.

Shawn