• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza using conventional oven and metal plate (Vol 2 P26-27)

I'm very excited to try this! I have a new oven (Kitchen Aid Architect Series II) and purchased a 3/8" thick aluminum plate. Here's the issue and question....

Using the calculator on page 23 of Vol 2...

- my broiling elements are 4 CM apart, so the sweet spot is 4CM x .44 + .5CM = 2.26CM below the elements.

However, at the highest rack setting, my metal plate is 7.5 CM from the elements.

Should I find something about 5 CM thick to place between the rack and the metal plate; or simply live with the 7.5CM distance? Any suggestions for what I might use as the "spacer"?

One other data point about this broiler....

In the User Manual, Kitchen Aid suggests placing the rack in a position for broiling where the food would be 13-14 CM below the heating elements. How likely is it that this particular broiler does not calibrate in the manner contemplated in Vol 2 P26-27 of MC?

Thanks!!

I'm in approximately the same situation as you. Having used the steel plate a couple of time, I would stay 7.5cm from the elements because 2.26 cm is much too close to be able to work a pizza in and out without touching the elements. Don't forget that air bubble in your dough will expand with the heat. I'm sure some of my pizza were more than 3cm thick!