• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine] Tomato water

Hello,

I have been trying out you tomato basil spheres recipe which actually worked well, except that my tomato water is not as clear as described and and presented in your spheric results (clear as water). Now my question: Even with a centrifuge the yielded results in your book are not see-through material - may I ask how that is achieved? As for my method... I suppose getting close to that with sieves/cheesecloth is not really possible - is it?

Best regards.

Thomas.

You can see that there is a slight yellow/orange hue in the tomato water in page 366 of volume 2. I should probably remove the seeds before blending them since I dont use a Champion juicer... I'll do tomato water soon to try to do vacuum infuse bloody mary celery and see how it work out. I should probably do some extra to try the tomato-basil spheres since they're not too hard to do and look impressives.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering the best way to make this without a centrifuge? Just seed, juice, and then strain with a sieve/butter muslin? Will that give the same product, or will it be more like tomato juice?

I'm not particularly concerned that it be crystal clear for presentation, simply that the end result acts the same way for a dish like the pasta marinara

Here's my last batch of tomato water. Complete italian tomatoes with skin and seeds in a Blender with .2% Pectinex SP-L.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117698375955087919944/albums/5894030864657113905/5894030862620806722?pid=5894030862620806722&oid=117698375955087919944

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117698375955087919944/albums/5894030864657113905/5894030883748756450?pid=5894030883748756450&oid=117698375955087919944

There is some particles caused by a bad usage of the vacuum chamber machine. Expanded the puck instead of compressing it... (Learning the new toys!)

There is no problem making water without a centrifuge. It's just longer and the yield is lower. I would just blend, food process or juice it. Don't worry about the seeds and put it thru a superbag or 4-5 layers of muslin.

Hi,

MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS

This light, clean flavored liquid is perfect for tomato consomme, tomato parfaits or even blended with vodka for a refreshing cocktail.

5 lbs. very ripe quartered, cored tomatoes

Water

1. Working in batches, put 5 lbs. very ripe quartered, cored tomatoes into bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle. Mix on low speed until tomatoes break down and release juices (or mash in a large bowl with a potato masher).

2. Rinse two clean, large, thin cotton kitchen towels in hot water. Spread one towel over a large glass beaker or nonreactive bowl and ladle half the mashed tomatoes onto towel. Gather opposite ends of towel and tie securely to make a sack. Hang sack from a yardstick or broom handle suspended above beaker or bowl.

3. Repeat with other towel and remaining tomatoes. Sacks will drip clear tomato water for about 4 hours; if red liquid begins to appear, discontinue dripping. (Do not squeeze cloths, or water will cloud.) Transfer tomato water to a nonreactive container, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Discard solids.