• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rib eye from specific retailer overcooked sous vide

Anonymous Modernist 17713

I've been cooking rib eye steaks sous vide for a few months now and for some reason whenever I buy rib eye from Trader Joe's, the meat comes out far more done looking than rib eye steaks cooked at the same temperature (133F) as steaks from other retailers, ranging from butcher shops to Safeway. It's extremely perplexing to me as it's the same cut of meat, and I'm finding it hard to believe that 133F would overcook a normal steak. I'm using an electric deep fryer at 375F for 2 minutes to get the final sear after sticking the steak in the freezer for 30 min.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this with tri tips. It could be the difference between where the animal is on the meat grade scale; choice, select etc... It could also be the way the animal died, stress, injury, pain. It could also be how the carcass was treated, how long it sits, if rigor mortis set in. You can see this in bratwurst or other sausages, if pink when uncooked it was ground up before rigor mortis set in, red darker colored sausage was ground after rigor mortis set in.