• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In my research which is admittedly limited I came across vacuum distilling setups. I am curious as to wieer there is a reason they were not included in the book as a lower cost option to equipment like the rotary evaporator. It seems that you could modify it slightly and use a water bath with an immersion circulator to have greater control of the tempeture and cover a larger surface area of the flask. I am very interested in any thoughts on adapting this technique.

Hi Madison,

We do cover this in Modernist Cuisine, though not in Modernist Cuisine at Home. We've also posted about it on our blog. You can find a blog post about making your own vacuum-concentrating setup here: http://modernistcuisine.com/2011/11/vacuum-concentrating-part-2/

Hope that helps!

Judy

Judy Wilson

Editorial Assistant

Modernist Cuisine

I appreciate your response it was actually the vacuum concentration part of the book that started my inquiry. At first I was unsure as to where one would pull a vacuum in the system which led me to about some simpler vacuum distilling setups, which seem like a less controlled and efficient version of rotovaping. I am interested in both concentrating flavors and separating them so that they can. Be added to sodas and such.